03-05-2012, 10:04 AM
  • du212
  • ne quid nimis
  • Northern Spain
User Info
When I heard that there was a French forum about straights, http://www.coupechouclub.com , I signed up, something would come out from there at least my learning, at that time I had no straight razor, just my merkur 33C, .... but finally I'll get one ,.... These French, always so attached to their products because they were good apostles of soap of Martin de Candre, but one of them was not agree to the fragance, so ... he sold his travel soap, which is the one I have now .... And now I understand that's not french chauvinism, it's taste for quality because this soap worth it.

1.Ingredients: Simple as could be, only has half a dozen ingredients, all quite familiar as you can see in the picture

[Image: DSCF1097.jpg]
The coconut oil is the key, I think, because this soap offers exceptional performance, but not so much for leading this oil but more by how they treat ,.... No soap is like this by this feature. Be careful this is not a coconut soap, only a soap that uses coconut oil.

2.Package: 5.
My travel pot is in glass, it seems bad for me because in a trip you can be a slight problem, drop a bag, etc ... and broke the glass jar, I would have preferred a metallic tin.

[Image: DSCN4158.jpg]

3.Lifespan: 10.
Well, I do not know how much it can last, I've used mine from 6 months and I just lowered 1 mm deep, and the scent and the lather has been improved more than even.

[Image: DSCN4159.jpg]

4.Load of soap: 10. Martin de Candre is an example of economy, in 5-7 seconds of loading the brush you have enough soap. I don't know a soap as this, it gives an outstanding performance , that is what makes it economic ,.... these French know what they do when they say that is inexpensive, is really inexpensive in its use ,.... you only need a little amount of soap. Look at the pic bellow and the following, you will see that the jar has not changed, still with the same patches of lather, instead the brush WOW! look at this lather is fantastic, and the quantity is enoug for a comfortable shave

[Image: DSCN4161.jpg]

5.Lather ability: 10.
Amazing, like Tabac or La Toja, No initial spongy or watery lather, the soap passes from a fine creamy froth to a dense lather and cushioned in few brush swirls, leaving the pleasant feeling that how easy is to lather

[Image: DSCN4163.jpg]

6. water/soap ratio: 10.
Optimal, on a brush drained, only 10 or 12 drops of water are needed to obtain a comfortable lather, a bit greasy, lubricant and soft, cushioned, but dense.
[Image: DSCN4161.jpg]
[Image: DSCN4164.jpg]

7.Quality of the lather: 10.
The best vegetable soap lather that I know by far, it's mysteriously dense, in spite of using a little amount of soap, as you can see in the pics, the lather sticks very well to the skin and the straight glides easily, it's even needed to dry the skin with a towel in order to strenght the skin for the shaving because the lubrication... . the lather is kept moist, dense and lubricant such as Mitchell's Wool fat and not dries as Tabac, it remains lubricant and moisturizing during the shave ,.... who has not tried it do not know what is losing

[Image: DSCN4165.jpg]

8.Protection and glide of the blade: 10.
One of the best features of this soap is the glide, as well as Mitchell's or Valobra or Arko or even more, without excessive consumption of soap of those two. In this way, it's a good lather for the shave with straight razor because it sticks to the face very well and provides good lubrication.

[Image: DSCN4166.jpg]

9.Felling in the face: 10.
It is dense, slightly shiny and oily, it sticks to the skin, if massaged, the lather gives us a nice thin layer.

10.Moisturizing and after-shaving feeling: 9.
Surprised by how good is the skin with a soap so simple, I do not understand, what is the secret? It's a nice soap from this point of view, although it seems that there are people that the fragance reacts on their skin, so "Savonnerie Martin de Candre" is preparing an unscented version for sensitive skin which prototypes have been distributed France with good results.

11.Scent: 9.
It is a powerful scent, soothing, smells like ....lavender and mint ? I think not .... it smells like lavender but with a spicy component, very soothing, from benzoin, a resin used to make incense that is in this fragance. The scent of the soap reminds me the balsamic notes of some red wines,.... I'm hooked by this scent, but I recognize that some people don't like the scent,.... especially if you are in sweet scents. The fragrance evolves, it is more soothing as time pass by, is better to let the soap drying for 24 hours after use, and leave it without cover, if not, the smell becomes more "organic" and less pleasant.

12.Price:
34 € for 170gr. The 19 € for postage to Spain make it too expensive, I expect to see if they improve that aspect

13.Conclusion: This soap rocks, very natural, easy to get, expensive, yes, but economic performance. One of the best shaving products in Europe without doubt, but it's a shame that a company like this do not see the true potential and has a better commercial attitude, because is only sold on its website http://savonnerie-martin -de-candre.ic-sites.com

0 89
 03-05-2012, 10:10 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Once again,BRILLIANT,du212!
For me theres not better shaving soap than Martin de Candre.Heaven made soap for me.

86 7,123
 03-05-2012, 10:12 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(03-05-2012, 10:10 AM)Teiste Wrote: Once again,BRILLIANT,du212!
For me theres not better shaving soap than Martin de Candre.Heaven made soap for me.

+1 If not the best soap on the market, it's definitely in the top 3 for me

9 541
 03-05-2012, 10:13 AM
User Info
I love this soap. It has great qualities, as you described well, although its scent definitely is one of those "love it or hate it" types.

183 12,002
 03-05-2012, 06:10 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Wonderful write up du212! I rate MdC in my top 5 shaving soaps. And I love the scent.

7 1,018
 03-05-2012, 07:45 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Jose, I agree with you on MdC performance, but I think it smells like disinfectant gone bad. What was most discouraging to me was to order the unscented version when they offered it and to find that it smelled just like the original version. That struck me as unbelievably deceptive on the part of the company.

- Murray

4 1,150
 03-05-2012, 09:38 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(03-05-2012, 07:45 PM)CMur12 Wrote: Jose, I agree with you on MdC performance, but I think it smells like disinfectant gone bad.

I too did not like the scent in the least. To me, it smelled like someone tarring a roof on a hot and humid summer day. While the performance was fine, the scent was a deal killer for me.

45 16,298
 03-06-2012, 01:59 AM
User Info
Anyone know where I can get some MdC in the U.S.?

0 90
 03-06-2012, 03:26 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
MdC is my favourite soap bar none!

91 17,823
 03-06-2012, 05:14 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(03-06-2012, 01:59 AM)CryptoSOLO Wrote: Anyone know where I can get some MdC in the U.S.?

A few vendors carry samples but I don't think you can get a whole container. It does come up on the BST forum on B&B occasionally. You might try posting a wanted to buy on the Selling and Trading forum here.

I see that your in San Marcos, I'm there two days a week going to school. What do you do in San Marcos?

7 1,018
 03-06-2012, 11:59 AM
User Info
(03-06-2012, 05:14 AM)Sully Wrote:
(03-06-2012, 01:59 AM)CryptoSOLO Wrote: Anyone know where I can get some MdC in the U.S.?

A few vendors carry samples but I don't think you can get a whole container. It does come up on the BST forum on B&B occasionally. You might try posting a wanted to buy on the Selling and Trading forum here.

I see that your in San Marcos, I'm there two days a week going to school. What do you do in San Marcos?
TX State huh? I live about 10 minutes outside of san marcos in a small town but I went to high school there, its where I call home. During the school year I live in Lubbock and go to Texas Tech.

0 90
 03-06-2012, 06:42 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Top 3 or Top 5. Either way, it's definitely up there for me as well.

47 1,378
 03-08-2012, 01:50 PM
  • skeptik
  • The Piedmont, VA
User Info
I was fortunate to participate last year in a MdC group buy, I bought the unscented, much prefering scent to come from AS, or EDT, or Cologne. The slickness of the soap is what won me over, only MWF comes close IMO, both are superb performers and make for an excellent morning experience.

0 295
 03-08-2012, 07:45 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
User Info
Skeptic, is your MdC truly unscented?

Mine has the label of the unscented product, but it smells just like the regular. I have wondered if I got the wrong batch through a manufacturing glitch, but I haven't been able to get a proper answer.

- Murray

4 1,150
 03-08-2012, 08:00 PM
User Info
(03-08-2012, 07:45 PM)CMur12 Wrote: Skeptic, is your MdC truly unscented?

Mine has the label of the unscented product, but it smells just like the regular. I have wondered if I got the wrong batch through a manufacturing glitch, but I haven't been able to get a proper answer.

- Murray

apparently from everyone i've heard/read that has the Unscented, it smells the same as scented.

i got my scented directly. it's the same prices used on the BST as it is new direct.

buy direct. it'll be at your door in 7-10 days, with samples (i assume, as mine did) and you will have no issues or concerns, as you are buying from the source.

the scent is unusual, but apparently a very raw or traditional lavender scent and not what our N/A noses are used to. i like it, it grew on me and now i love it.

performance has never been questioned.

worst case scenario. you order for $60 shipped, try it and don't like it. use the samples (soap bars in my case) and then sell it for what you paid (you might be out the shipping charge on your sale). then you know for sure.

it's a product you should try in the FULL size container as a little sample container will not give you the full effect for scent or latherability.

it's also very strong when you open the lid, but it's supposed to be left "uncapped" and the scent get's milder, although i keep my covered Biggrin

8 2,718
 03-08-2012, 08:16 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
User Info
Hi Bruce -

Thanks for the reply.

I ordered both the original and the unscented in 170g jars, direct from Martin de Candre. The included samples are also heavily and disagreeably fragranced, so I can't use ant of it.

- Murray

4 1,150
 03-08-2012, 08:42 PM
User Info
(03-08-2012, 08:16 PM)CMur12 Wrote: Hi Bruce -

Thanks for the reply.

I ordered both the original and the unscented in 170g jars, direct from Martin de Candre. The included samples are also heavily and disagreeably fragranced, so I can't use ant of it.

- Murray

i've been using one of the 1/2 soap bar samples as a "shampoo bar" and its' so freaking soft and easy to lather, just like the shave soap ease.

8 2,718
 06-28-2012, 10:29 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Man,I love to review this thread once in a while,to remember how good is this soap.
Thanks again,du212.

86 7,123
 08-03-2012, 05:06 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've been thinking about trying some of the unscented, but if it smells the same, I don't know. I have problems with lavender oils and I assume that is where the scent comes from.

173 23,500
 10-08-2012, 10:14 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I should have updated this a few months back. I have absolutely no problems with the lavender in this soap. As a matter of fact, it has become my favorite soap.

173 23,500