05-22-2015, 03:50 AM
User Info
I noticed since using the denser EJ XL or 30mm WD synthetics that I was getting clumping of wet hairs after rinsing and hanging to dry. I would thoroughly rinse, shake out in bath tub and dry on a towel and the hairs would seem to clump. The solution turns out to re-rinse the brush and go thru the same drying procedure with no clumping the results. I don't have to do this every time but quite often. The extra dense brushes are harder to rinse but really perform well and worth the extra rinsing IMHO. So far the extra rinse has worked every time to rid the clumping of the hairs. Just thought this might come in handy to some as I think the performance of the brush is degraded with the dry soap in the brush. Thoughts?

18 201
 05-22-2015, 04:10 AM
User Info
Sounds like the soap buildup known in badger brushes,  needing a  soaking in diluted once a month.

21 1,175
 05-22-2015, 04:31 AM
User Info
(05-22-2015, 04:10 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: Sounds like the soap buildup known in badger brushes,  needing a  soaking in diluted once a month.

I clean my brushes every few months with dish soap and rinse with vinegar per Em's Place Video, http://www.shaveinfo.com/videos/brush_cleaning.htm , but this is something I also do as I notice a buildup of soap between cleanings.

18 201
 05-22-2015, 05:33 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Haven't noticed any "clumping" in my boar, badger or synthetic brushes while drying. I rinse them very thoroughly after use, shake dry and swipe the tips across a towel before hanging to dry. Never had to clean a brush so far either. 

Bob

0 1,694
 05-22-2015, 06:07 AM
User Info
(05-22-2015, 05:33 AM)BobH Wrote: Haven't noticed any "clumping" in my boar, badger or synthetic brushes while drying. I rinse them very thoroughly after use, shake dry and swipe the tips across a towel before hanging to dry. Never had to clean a brush so far either. 

Bob
+1
I use cold wind hairdryer and gently comb my brushes.

2 121