05-22-2015, 01:11 PM
User Info
I've been trying to understand what kind of badger hair and knot specification I should be looking for. I don't have much experience with badger as I've only used 3 badger brushes, all of which haven't been exactly what I wanted. I have a WSP Stubby in Superfine 2 band which I find too scrubby and not soft enough for my taste. I had a Whipped Dog silvertip 22mm knot 45mm loft that I found too small and a bit scratchy. And the other badger I have is an Omega 11047 “Mixed Midget” badger/boar brush but I find that a bit too scratchy.

What I am looking for is a badger that has very soft tips with no scrub. Currently the brush feel I like the most comes from my Plisson synthetic. I enjoy the super soft tips and the almost cloud like feeling of the Plisson synthetic. If I want to get a similar feeling from badger, what kind of hair and knot specifications would fit the bill? I could probably just get more Plisson synthetics but I have been wanting to branch out and find a badger I like.

2 106
 05-22-2015, 01:14 PM
  • MarkW
  • Isle of Man
User Info
I've read the guys recommend the German brushmaker Thater for the super soft badger tips that you seek.

Might be worth exploring & further research?

1 635
 05-22-2015, 01:15 PM
User Info
(05-22-2015, 01:11 PM)Deckma Wrote: I've been trying to understand what kind of badger hair and knot specification I should be looking for. I don't have much experience with badger as I've only used 3 badger brushes, all of which haven't been exactly what I wanted. I have a WSP Stubby in Superfine 2 band which I find too scrubby and not soft enough for my taste. I had a Whipped Dog silvertip 22mm knot 45mm loft that I found too small and a bit scratchy. And the other badger I have is an Omega 11047 “Mixed Midget” badger/boar brush but I find that a bit too scratchy.

What I am looking for is a badger that has very soft tips with no scrub. Currently the brush feel I like the most comes from my Plisson synthetic. I enjoy the super soft tips and the almost cloud like feeling of the Plisson synthetic. If I want to get a similar feeling from badger, what kind of hair and knot specifications would fit the bill? I could probably just get more Plisson synthetics but I have been wanting to branch out and find a badger I like.

Full on synthetic convert here (from badger). You may have some difficulty matching the feel of a Plisson synthetic in the badger realm. If you want something ultra soft but with more backbone and "badger-like" have you given any thought to the Muhle / EJ 25mm STF XL v2 synthetics? They are incredible!

59 295
 05-22-2015, 01:33 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Thater silvertipSilvertip are super soft with backbone. I have one in 26 mm that I like a bunch

Kent bk8 is a good size very soft brush (floppy)

My favorite is a Vulfix 377 in silvertip from the superior shave. It is a great, soft, slightly floppy brush that has treated me well and did not break the bank like others I own. 

9 462
 05-22-2015, 02:16 PM
User Info
I do not say go ahead and spend lots of money, but   it sounds like this will be a more expensive brush to come

21 1,175
 05-22-2015, 04:41 PM
User Info
If money is an issue, you might want to consider TGN Finest or Vintage Blades 2-Band. However, if money isn't a great concern, then Thater 2-Bands. 

83 21,115
 05-22-2015, 04:56 PM
User Info
TGN HMW (high mountain white) 24 x 50-51. Super soft but firm. No scritch, nice density, great for both face and bowl lathering. Knot will run you $70 or under. All you need is a handle. 

Talk with BOWHNTER (Mike) . He does custom brushes and is the one that introduced me to the TGN HMW. 

148 3,602
 05-22-2015, 05:47 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Another option would be a silver tip from QED. They have a great reputation -do a search. I my first nice badger was their 3120, and it's a winner. My tastes sound like yours. I like brushes like the Plisson synthetic on my face, not a Brillo pad. I would also look at Shavemac silver tip from Germany-it's often thought they make the QED brush.

19 753
 05-23-2015, 06:55 AM
User Info
Thanks everyone. I'll have a look at those brands and makers. 

What's the face feel difference between 2 band and 3 band? I see that option a lot for silver tips. If I want super soft tips and no scrub should I be looking more at 2 or 3 band hair?

2 106
 05-23-2015, 07:12 AM
User Info
(05-22-2015, 01:14 PM)Simpson1919 Wrote: I've read the guys recommend the German brushmaker Thater for the super soft badger tips that you seek.

Might be worth exploring & further research?

Mark I really respect that you recommend other brush manufacturers. I think I've seen you do this before. I think that helps build a larger and better shaving "community" if you will.
As for a brush recommendation, I agree, Thater is probably a good choice here. I love my 4125/2. But its also hard to go wrong with a Simpsons..

Greg

21 171
 05-23-2015, 07:54 AM
User Info
As others stated if price is not an issue I would highly reccomend Wiborg Brushes from Germany in white badger, pillow soft and in a 28mm knot your around $180

Tappan

20 1,375
 05-23-2015, 08:39 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Based on my experience with both knots, I'd recommend either a Thater 3-band silvertip or a shavemac 3-band silvertip.  The advantage of going with the shavemac is that you can customise the knot and handle.  You might also consider the shavemac finest knot.

7 936
 05-23-2015, 10:46 AM
User Info
I have a Plisson synthetic , and the closest in softness was a Whippedd dog Silvertip 24mms set at his default height. A TGN Silvertip (I've had two of them) is not as soft as a WD or even a TGN two band. It sounds like you are headed into higher end Kent or Thater, and I have no experience ( $$ ) with them.
My "go to" brush is a TGN two band custom, and I am working on making my Plisson synthetic take the spot, not sure if its gonna happen though...

To your description of two band vs. three (my understanding):
Two band are not Silvertip, but are much less prickly than black badger, but still have good backbone and are generally not lather hogs.
Three band is actually the description of silvertip, usually softer tips, and sometimes less backbone and flow through than two band.
Individual brands and even brushes definitely DO vary, however...

0 24
 05-23-2015, 09:48 PM
User Info
I would like to suggest looking into a Thäter in 2-band bulb or even softer 3-Band bulb. These brushes are cloud like soft. Not Plisson synthetic soft, you can actually feel the brush hairs in a Thäter, but it's ultra luxurious soft.

Or just get a Saville Row in 24 mm or perhaps a Shavemac 3-Band Silvertip in fan (super soft) or Bulb (still very soft) or a Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip.

If you want a little bit firmer feel, you could also look at getting a Simpson Chubby 2 in 3-Band Super. It's not velvety soft, but still very soft, and the hybrid fan shape makes it feel very pillow like on the face, yet still retaining a nice amount of backbone. A very luxurious brush IMHO. 
If you can find them, you should also try to get hold of a Simpson Chubby 2 in 2-Band, but they are hard to find these days, but they are very soft and nice feeling too.

24 6,020
 05-23-2015, 10:28 PM
User Info
I see Thäter recommended more than a few times now. I'll put that on my radar for sure.

2 106
 05-23-2015, 10:42 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
My friend , I have tried I dont even know how many different silvertip , super badger and two band badger brushes and the softness of the synthetic Plisson is quiet difficult to reach.Thater silvertip is quiet soft but doesn't have a good backbone at all (at least , what I have tried).I will go for a Vie Long silvertip set at 48 mm loft.

88 7,215
 05-24-2015, 10:19 AM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
The SR 3120 is my favorite. Soft but plenty of backbone for face lathering. 

48 684
 05-25-2015, 09:26 AM
User Info
I am not clear as to the focus of your question. If you want a firm brush -- i.e., a brush with stiff "backbone" -- while providing soft application of lather upon the face, I would personally recommend Shavemac's Opus Summum which has a 25mm "Extra Silvertip Quality" DO1 2-band head. It seems to me that this knot construction provides heavily packed (by this, I mean, heavily bundled) badger hairs producing less flexibility (by this, I mean, restricted splaying) of the brush head when lathering up while the tips remain "featherly" soft when applying lather to the face. I infer from other member's comments critical of the Shavemac's Opus Summum that the density of knot construction, which restricts the flexibility (or splaying) of the brush when both loading the brush from soap puck and applying the soap upon the face, makes it undesirable. If you like such construction, then you will like this Shavemac. Incidentally, I have written within this web site my experience involving the Simpson "Eagle G3" brush with 24mm Pure Badger hair. The Simpson's knot appears, in my assessment, not as heavily packed as the Shavemac; and while the Simpson has strong backbone, such is produced by the fact that its badger hairs are "thicker" in contrast with the hairs used for the Shavemac. Of course, the thicker hair has the trade off in being "more scratchy" when applying lather to the skin. I am not suggesting that the Shavemac Opus Summum and Simpson Eagle G3 are alike because, quite frankly, knot density and hair quality makes a world of difference. I provide such comparison because it seems that these two components -- knot density and hair quality -- really make the difference between brush manufacturers especially since, upon information and belief, most (if not all) badger hair is supplied from China and there is no standardized system to determine hair quality. Finally, I note that -- in addition to my Shavemac Opus Summum and Simpson Eagle G3 -- I also own two custom made brushes purchased from Robert Grubber t/a Excaliber Rustics. Although one brush uses an emerald green maple burl handle and the other brush uses a handle constructed from cocobolo wood, both use a 24mm "Super" silvertip badger hair knot. These brushes splay nicely when powering from soap puck and during application upon face with "featherly" soft tips. If you don't care for the standard "silvertip" backbone, then these brushes are probably not for you. In any event, I wish you well in finding the brush of your choice and look forward to hearing as to your eventual selection and comments.

0 43
 05-26-2015, 12:38 PM
User Info
I have and enjoy the Plisson. I recently acquired a Kent BK 8 and it is like shaving with a pillow. If you bowl lather and want a soft brush, I think it will make you happy.

0 61
 06-12-2015, 07:08 PM
User Info
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Bought a Thäter from a member here, specifically a 3 band silvertip 49125/2. Did my first shave with it today and wow what a difference. First badger brush I liked. Tips were nice and soft with no scrub or scratch. A very wonderful luxurious feeling.
Badger  

[Image: Tanu817h.jpg]

[Image: OGEbeAeh.jpg]

2 106