05-22-2015, 04:29 PM
User Info
When I started wet shaving I bought the vanderhagen set. A month later I bought a Semogue boar brush. Now the only brush I use is the semogue. I am wondering

1 does it hurt the brush using it every day?

2 Do you need to clean them ever?

3 how do you clean them and how often?

Thanks,

Andy

0 46
 05-22-2015, 04:41 PM
User Info
You can use them everyday, and it's not necessary to clean them. But it's a good idea to let them dry in a place that is ventilated (not in a cabinet or closet).

40 1,166
 05-22-2015, 06:53 PM
User Info
I clean all of my Semogue boars when they start to "bead" water when I run them under the tap. A little borax in some hot tap water and soak for a bit. Rinse and dry and good for a long time.

21 555
 05-22-2015, 08:17 PM
User Info
(05-22-2015, 04:29 PM)acotler Wrote: When I started wet shaving I bought the vanderhagen set. A month later I bought a Semogue boar brush. Now the only brush I use is the semogue. I am wondering  

1 does it hurt the brush using it every day?

Thanks,

Andy

acotiler you have been given some great advice.  Just pick a theme to follow and you should be fine.

0 123
 05-23-2015, 03:17 PM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
  • Manchester, New Hampshire
User Info
I have an Omega Boar I use every shave. Been using this brush for 3 plus years. In the interest of full disclosure I shave every other day. I face lather with Tabac. When done I rinse it with hot water then a cold water rinse. I leave it out to dry. I've never cleaned this brush and it works today just like it did since broken in over 3 years ago. I have a couple of other Boar brushes, a Semogue and a No-Name brush. If the Omega ever goes tits up then I'll start using one of the others. Don't expect your experience to be like mine as we are all different and YMMV. I haven't used one of my badger brushes in over 3 years. Badger, I don't need no stinking badger!

0 136
 05-23-2015, 03:52 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(05-22-2015, 04:29 PM)acotler Wrote: 1 does it hurt the brush using it every day?

1) i don't use my brushes on consecutive days, but i'm thinking my grandfather had only 1 brush at any given time and he rarely if ever replaced it.

2) rinse thoroughly after each use until the water runs clear.

3) see 2) above

Biggrin

7 2,154
 05-24-2015, 12:58 PM
User Info
wondering the same thing, if there is a way to disinfect them.

53 760
 05-24-2015, 04:26 PM
User Info
(05-24-2015, 12:58 PM)parachutefactory Wrote: wondering the same thing, if there is a way to disinfect them.

As long as you let it dry out fully between uses you should be fine. If it stays damp then you run the chance of mold, mildew, etc. Also,  every time it's used it's covered in soap getting its own little bath! Smile 

147 3,539
 05-24-2015, 05:57 PM
User Info
I'm fairly certain that all brushes are disenfected before they leave the factory. I'd second on what Freddie and Chatz have said, and what I was told when I bought my first few in Austria quite some years ago that you should dry them out between uses, which may mean owning at least two if you shave daily. Along the cleaning and disenfecting lines, a good rinsing with straight water and possibly some alchohol, or borax, as mentioned earlier sounds good, but you have to use conditioner every month or so as well, as the hairs get dried out, that is loose their natural oils. They are removed from the animal and its circulatory system after all. 

0 13
 05-25-2015, 12:29 PM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I used the same boar brush for 2yrs straight. Always rinsed it well and dried it as much as I could (pat it a bit with a towel) and place it on the shelf. Never had a problem. Only bought a new one "just because". 

0 360
 05-28-2015, 07:34 PM
User Info
it doen't really hurt me at all.  it barely touches my face anyway because of the thick lather I tend to produce.
Clean it once in a while, but I do it rarely.

53 760
 05-29-2015, 10:03 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Badgers, boars and horses cleaning regimen in life rarely, if ever involves water or disinfectant. Unless they acquire mange, these animals do just fine. I would also point out we  expose our brushes to SOAP and WATER, which according to most cultural norms are cleaning agents in themselves. A medical term will help 'Dilution negates Pollution' or, RINSE well and DRY!- oh you might want to rinse with Perrier on full moons. I do.

2 3,171
 05-29-2015, 10:37 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
Is the question, do you need to clean your brush, or do you want to maintain your brush in the best possible way for as long as you can?  The reality is that you are using soap every time you shave.  Also, as others have stated, thoroughly rinse until the water runs clear.  But, I will say that you still will get residual amounts of soap residue or perfumes in the brush hair.  Many soaps and creams will leave a waxy coating on the hairs (hence the beading of the water on the bristles after a long period of time.)  Do you need to clean the brush?  Not unless you leave it in a damp place and it grows mold or it gets product build up.  But, I would ask you another question.  Do you need a cell phone?  Or can a landline suffice most of the time.  Or could you write letters?  Yes, either of those would be serviceable.  But, you probably choose to get a cell phone, maybe even a smart phone.  It's not a need.  But it makes your life better.  I would say the same about your brush.  If your intent is to prolong the life and active usability of the brush, then yes periodically clean and condition it.  Simpson suggests borax.  There is a product I have used made by a German company specifically for shaving and makeup brushes.  It is called Zartgefühl Brush-Cleansing Soap.  It cleans, conditions and basically defunks the brush.  In most cases, the brush even looks better afterwards and performs a little better as well.  I think I paid under $15 for a tub of the soap.  It will last quite a long time.

No, I don't sell it.  It is just something I stumbled across and it works.  

61 507
 07-10-2015, 03:13 PM
User Info
I have 4 brushes that I use in a rotation.  After each use I rinse them carefully in warm and then cold water...hand them bristles down to dry overnight and then stand them upright to dry until I call on them again.  If they start smelling funky You can shampoo and condition them...but generally they don't need much care.  Rinse and dry them carefully.

0 43
 07-10-2015, 03:25 PM
User Info
I have enough brushes so that they are not used for several days, if not a week or so, between use.  I have never cleaned or seen the need to clean either the badgers or boars.  With woodworking as a hobby, I have built stands for all of my brushes.  Pretty simple...lather, rinse, hang, let dry.

Ed

22 752