05-23-2015, 10:17 AM
User Info
I think a SV circulator makes, by far, the most sense in SV. I already have one, but have been contemplating another for side dishes.

It's closed now (I got the last one), but it was a great price for a $400 SV circulator. The only way I knew about it was a friend gave me a heads up. PolyScience is the name in SV circulators here in the US.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PolyScience-Sou ... rmvSB=true

I have no idea if this will ever be repeated, but if one has an interest in SV I'd be checking ebay regularly. For myself? 2 circulators is enough.

32 6,471
 05-24-2015, 10:58 AM
User Info
More are listed and for $10 less than I paid. I got robbed!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PolyScience-Sous...rmvSB=true

As long as it's on the up and up it's less expensive than a decent slow cooker! I'll know sometime after the 28th; mine has already shipped.

32 6,471
 05-25-2015, 12:25 PM
User Info
Wow.  Thanks for posting.  This is a spectacular deal.

5 14
 05-26-2015, 01:23 PM
User Info
Do you cook SousVide? If so, that makes 2 of us that I know of on this forum, but my memory is notoriously bad. (that's what paper and pencil is for  Smile   )

I just hope we don't wind up getting screwed. That price is too good to be true and that almost stopped me from dropping the hammer on it.

32 6,471
 05-26-2015, 01:48 PM
User Info
What does this mean in the description?  I'm tempted to get one if it's the real deal, not a knock off.

Free Shipping to Canada too, so good for me.

This product is a Chinese foundry products

(05-26-2015, 01:23 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I just hope we don't wind up getting screwed. That price is too good to be true and that almost stopped me from dropping the hammer on it.

That's what I'm worried about. Too good to be true, usually is.

8 2,718
 05-26-2015, 03:25 PM
User Info
Bruce, very few products today are made where the corporate office is located. The SansAire that I bought was widely known to be made in China.

I can't decipher what you need for info', but I can hazard a guess.

There is a Chinese manufacturer, for some reason they have a number of PolyScience SV circulators that they needed to move. An entrepreneur decided to test their sales by buying 10. I bought the last of the 10 and the entire sale of all 10 units took 30 minutes or so from beginning to end. Not long after that these came up for sale. I suspect the first batch was to test the water to see if they'd sell. That's what I would have done.

It's not unusual to have things shipped directly from China today, but I can understand your hesitation. Note too, that it can take (what is it ?) 25-30 days to receive it. It's definitely shipping from China.

I have no doubt that PolyScience was having this model made in China at the same factory where the units in question come from. The interesting thing for me is that PS sold them for hundreds more; $600 at one point when they had the lock on the cooking technique here in North America. Now here they are selling for a fraction of what PS sold them for and shipping is included in the price.

Hopefully it isn't an offer too good to be true. If so I got caught by it. But I payed through Paypal and they have protections in place.

I'm not connected to it other than seeing the item, making it known, and paying my $. If you get caught I do as well. More than that I don't have and most of what I wrote is speculation. Yeah, it's a fantastic price.

32 6,471
 05-26-2015, 03:33 PM
User Info
Thanks and it makes sense. With Paypal you or I will all be covered.

I've always wanted to try one but could never justify the $400+ Amazon wants.

My wife gave the green light to purchase.

Just purchased, much appreciated for the heads up

8 2,718
 05-26-2015, 09:08 PM
User Info
The crazy part is that with such a good price the carrier is more than twice the price of the unit. Check the PolyScience website. They would also have containers cut to fit the unit. I didn't price those out, but I'll just use a Cambro food container and cut the lid to fit it to reduce water loss. Of course it can always be used in an open container for short cooks, but you don't want to do that for long cooks as the water does escape readily and that costs something in electricity. For large SV cooks I bought a 20 qt cooler and cut the top to fit my SansAire. That way I can easily cook 20 flatiron steaks, or large cuts. Since it's insulated it's quite efficient.

Bruce would you like some internet sites that explain SV in depth? There are also SV cookbooks and guides that can be purchased but to get started I found the sites to be all that I needed.

32 6,471
 05-27-2015, 04:40 AM
User Info
(05-26-2015, 09:08 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Bruce would you like some internet sites that explain SV in depth? There are also SV cookbooks and guides that can be purchased but to get started I found the sites to be all that I needed.

I'd love that, thanks!!!

We plan on just using our large pots or a small cooler/container we have on hand as well. With a family of four, most of the times it will just be for small cooks etc.

If we really enjoy it and it is truly as good as it looks and 100% legit, we may look into the specialty container down the road.

I'm quite excited to see how it goes.

8 2,718
 05-27-2015, 06:03 AM
User Info
I think you'll love it. When I cook a mess of steaks al at once it's to allow us to have steaks later on on just a "moments" notice. Or what is a moment to SV anyway. We buy pre packaged and sealed flatiron steaks in individual portions. After bathing them @ 129°F for 6 -8 hours they are extremely tender, rare from edge to edge, and ready to eat except for the finish torching. Once that long cooking process is complete it's done and never needs to be redone. OK, here's where the beauty of this comes in. Then they are frozen. From this point on to have a perfectly cooked rare steak all it takes is a SV bath set to 129°F for 1 hour. So we take what we need out of the freezer, put it into the SV bath, go about or way, and an hour later it's thawed, hot, and waiting for us to open the bag and finish it. There is no loss in quality and if we don't get back to it for 3 hours, it's OK. My wife was skeptical of SV when she first heard of it but now she checks the sales circulars for these flatirons.

My sister in law likes a medium rare steak and dislikes any other. But with SV, one sets the temperature to the desired doneness and the entire steak is done to that degree. There is no grey meat leading to the medium rare interior. The entire steak is medium rare. The torching of the steak to finish it doesn't give enough heat to change that.

All of our friends who has ever had SV, and all of them have, have all thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'll get back to this to give you the sites. I've already gone past my allocated time for the 'net this morning. Gotta run!

32 6,471
 05-27-2015, 06:15 AM
User Info
My mouth is watering already.  We picked up our food saver last year and love it.  Even with that, I find myself thawing items or boiling them in the bag to keep the water out and avoid the dreaded microwave thaw on short notice.

I just read a few articles on the ThermoWorks site/blog about it and along with your tips and tricks above, this sounds like an amazing invention and tool.

The last time I did steak on the grill, I did the reverse sear to avoid the gray outter band of overdone meat and loved it and it actually worked.  But the Sous Vide seems to take it to another level and makes it fool proof.

No rush or worries on the linked sites etc.  I'll have plenty of time to look around myself too.

http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2015/03/...y-suggest/

http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2012/08/...ater-bath/

8 2,718
 05-27-2015, 07:37 AM
User Info
I have time now. The postman came early and I missed him anyway.

I wish this technique had existed when I was single. But of course it hadn't even been thought of all those years ago. Frankly I don't know why more people don't use it. I think the word hasn't gotten out and folks just don't know what it is. Too, when I first heard about it the first thing I thought of was spoilage. Of course that was a foolish concern. It was my ignorance that had me thinking those thoughts. Knowledge removes ignorance.

A vacuum machine isn't 100% required. Water pressure pushing a zipper bag inward as the food gets immersed will do what needs to be done. Many times I don't use the food saver, just immerse the bag into the bath and seal it when the water pressure has done it's thing. I did that with the steaks I made the other day.

Some do nots:

DO NOT use fresh garlic in the bag, dehydrated is fine. Use of fresh garlic will lead to off flavors.
DO NOT use olive oil. Same problem, off flavors. The higher the grade of olive oil the worse the problem.

I use a butane torch to brown my SV meats and to get the Maillard Reaction, but it can just as easily be done in a smoking hot pan. I use a mixture of baking soda and dextrose to dip the meats in before browning. Specifically dextrose or corn syrup are 2 types of sugar that, when combined with protein create the Maillard Reaction. The byproducts of which give grilled meat that fantastic flavor. The baking soda reduces the pH and enhances the effect. A teaspoon of each in 1/8 - 1/4 cup of water is all it takes.

I've also found that heavily marbled steaks are best left for the grill. Flatirons or lower grades of steaks without marbling work best in SV and with the torch. That's my opinion. One thing that isn't opinion is that the SV bath turns a tougher lower quality cut into something extremely tender. That's why the flatirons work so nicely. Monday I put into the SV bath 4 low grade rib eyes. I had intended to keep them in the bath @ 129°F for a few hours then grill them. The plans changed. I kept them in the bath for 6-8 hours then chilled them and put them into the refrigerator. The soon after I started the grill and got it smokin' hot, added some cherry wood for flavor and did a really quick sear on both sides of the steaks. That resulted in extremely tender and flavorful steaks. They were much better done that way than if I had just grilled them. I know because we tried grilling them last year and the results while tasty was not at all like eating a marbled rib eye. The SV bath makes great corned beef or even roasts. It would be a fantastic technique for cooking game. I've never seen a piece of marbled game meat.

I have a recipe from a friend who claims the SV bath combined with  diastatic malt (you can make it or buy it) makes for the creamiest mashed potatoes with no butter or cream in the mix.

One "problem" if everyone eating likes meat done to different donenesses, it would require a bath for every piece of meat. We don't have that problem. I just tell everyone that the meat will be cooked medium rare. So far it hasn't been a problem since once folks try it they immediately love t.

OK, enough, let me get those sites.

This next site will open up with an advertisement to his book. Up top however you'll see two horizontal lines with tabs to click on. Do so. This site will get you right into the math of it. But, and here's the nice thing about this site, it also has charts so that one doesn't need to get involved in all that "figuring". I saved the charts to my computer. Too, the site is loaded with videos. This is the very best site I've come across for a nuts and bolts understanding of how it works. You can delve deeply or not, you choose.
http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

more sites:
http://recipes.polyscienceculinary.com/
http://forums.egullet.org/topic/136274-sous-vide-index/ - Lots of info here also, just not as nicely presented as Baldwins site IMO

Basically SousVide is a form of Modernist Cooking and just by using the browning dip I suggested above you're delving into Modernist Cooking, so... :
http://www.modernistcookingmadeeasy.com/

Modernist cooking can be as simple as that browning dip, or as complex as one wants to make it.

That should keep you busy for awhile. :-) After all, one can only eat just so much.

Once I found out how good the meats were that came out of it I was done experimenting for quite some time. Now with a 2nd SV bath I'll be able to make those creamy mashed potatoes without cream or butter.

If you try something that you like, please share, and I'll do the same.

32 6,471
 05-28-2015, 06:10 AM
User Info
Thanks for all that I into as well as the help via PM.

My unit has shipped.

8 2,718
 05-30-2015, 12:40 PM
User Info
I'm really wanting it to come in. I wanted some SV coffee today and the SansAire is one day into making 7 qts of yogurt and will be until late tomorrow afternoon. Instead I had to make do with instant; not nearly as good.

32 6,471
 05-31-2015, 01:11 PM
User Info
UH OH!!!!

I hope the bolded text is the case:

"We had to remove this listing from the site and you're not required to complete the transaction. If you've already sent payment, the sale should process as normal and you don't have anything to worry about. If you have any questions about delivery, please check tracking or contact your seller. If you run into any trouble along the way eBay is here to help. Please visit the Resolution Center to help resolve any problems you may encounter"

And then a follow up email from eBay that I just received:

Hello (my username),

Our records show that you recently contacted or received messages from htsourides through eBay's messaging system. We’re writing to let you know that an unauthorized third party may have compromised this member's account security. It’s important to note that we’re unaware of any problems with your account. We recommend the following precautions to help keep you safe:
- Don't respond to offers to buy or sell an item from this user. The offer may be fraudulent, and the transaction won't be covered by eBay.
- Don't respond to any messages you received from this user that appear to be a Second Chance Offer for an item you recently bid on.
- Never pay for eBay items using instant cash wire-transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. It's against eBay's Safe Payments Policy for a seller to request payment with these methods.

For more information, please visit:
http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/avoid-problems.html

If you’ve already sent payment for an off-eBay transaction, contact the payment service you used to make the purchase immediately. If you’re a seller who already shipped an item to a fraudulent buyer, contact the postal service or shipping company you used to have it returned to you.

If you have received any messages that seem suspicious, please forward them to us at spoof@ebay.ca for review. For more information about staying safe on eBay, please visit eBay’s Security Center at:
http://pages.ebay.ca/securitycenter/index.html

We take a number of steps to help ensure the security of your account. But there's also a lot you can do. Find out more about protecting your account by visiting:
http://pages.ebay.ca/help/account/protecting.html

We appreciate your cooperation.

Thanks,

eBay 

8 2,718
 05-31-2015, 03:20 PM
User Info
Yes, I got that too. Just don't do business outside of ebay since his acc't could be compromised. It doesn't mean that we got burned, but that his acc't did.

32 6,471
 05-31-2015, 03:33 PM
User Info
(05-31-2015, 03:20 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Yes, I got that too. Just don't do business outside of ebay since his acc't could be compromised. It doesn't mean that we got burned, but that his acc't did.
Yup, all my correspondence and payment are through eBay and PayPal.

It just figures it happens on a transaction that appears too good to be true kind of deal.

I think I've had that happen before, even had a seller banned after I bought, and there was no issues with my transaction.

8 2,718
 05-31-2015, 07:20 PM
User Info
It doesn't mean that the deal wasn't good, only that his acc't was in some way compromised. We still need to see what happens.

But I agree it was too good to be true.

32 6,471
 06-01-2015, 07:53 AM
User Info
I just got off the phone with ebay/paypal.

They started the ball rolling with the seller to either find out if the SV machine did indeed ship, or if the seller doesn't contact them in 10 days, on the 11th day I'll get my $ refunded automatically.

What a PITA. I hate doing that to a seller, but the fault doesn't lie with myself or the honest seller, but with the person who hacked their acc't. I hate crooks. It seemed like the best thing to do though since we don't know when the acc't was hacked.

32 6,471
 06-01-2015, 09:49 AM
User Info
I opened a request to get confirmation item was shipped, tracking number etc.  Hopefully it comes through.

If it falls through, I may look at other options:  http://www.costco.ca/SousVide-Supreme-De...58257.html

8 2,718