05-24-2015, 05:07 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I don,t personally use a straight but I saw this on klhip.com....a razor called BISON Straight only $895.00 and made out of some special metal....I use their nail clippers but thought someone might want to check this out....includes a leather case ....is it worth the price?

6 1,994
 05-24-2015, 05:16 PM
  • Doc226
  • edge snob (and proud of it)
  • Smallest State
User Info
Not worth it IMO.

Max makes great razors, but for that price I want a custom.

10 130
 05-24-2015, 05:17 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Bison commissioned Max Sprecher, a famous straight razor maker, to design the razor for them. It does look like a cool razor, but you can also find fantastic shaving straights for a fraction of the cost. Although I wouldn't kick it out of my bed of razors, and I enjoy the two Max Sprecher razors that I own, I personally wouldn't pay $895 for it. 

38 5,031
 05-24-2015, 05:22 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Richard you type faster than I doSmile I think Bison set the price a little steep. You can get a nice Bison paddle strop that doubles as a travel case for another $250!

59 4,385
 05-24-2015, 05:43 PM
User Info
Just remember that you cannot buy a good shave. Spending more on a straight will not provide you with a better shave than a $20 straight that's been honed well. 

With high-end straights and customs, you're paying for looks and coolness. If that's worth $850 to you, then go ahead and buy it. A vintage blade with the same grind and size will shave every bit as well, and may only cost about $100. If you're looking for a great shave, I'd buy the vintage blade in that case. 

Even with customs, a Brian Brown or other semi-custom razor will cost about half that and look every bit as good. 

37 1,743
 05-24-2015, 06:50 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(05-24-2015, 05:43 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Just remember that you cannot buy a good shave. Spending more on a straight will not provide you with a better shave than a $20 straight that's been honed well. 

With high-end straights and customs, you're paying for looks and coolness. If that's worth $850 to you, then go ahead and buy it. A vintage blade with the same grind and size will shave every bit as well, and may only cost about $100. If you're looking for a great shave, I'd buy the vintage blade in that case. 

Even with customs, a Brian Brown or other semi-custom razor will cost about half that and look every bit as good. 

Yes, you can't buy a better shave by throwing money at it. However if you have deep pockets and the urge why not. The monetary worth of something is what a buyer is willing to pay for it.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-24-2015, 07:01 PM
User Info
(05-24-2015, 06:50 PM)BobH Wrote:
(05-24-2015, 05:43 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Just remember that you cannot buy a good shave. Spending more on a straight will not provide you with a better shave than a $20 straight that's been honed well. 

Yes, you can't buy a better shave by throwing money at it. However if you have deep pockets and the urge why not. The monetary worth of something is what a buyer is willing to pay for it.

Bob

That's precisely what I was trying to get across. If you like the look/coolness, go ahead and buy it. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you. 

I had a Tim Zowada Damascus blade a while ago - cost about $1000. I wasn't expecting it to be any different from any other 1/4 hollow blade, and it wasn't. However, it was amazingly cool - beautiful, and made from scratch by a master. Was it worth it to me? Yep, at that point. That's a good reason to buy something, as far as I'm concerned. 

37 1,743
 05-24-2015, 11:16 PM
User Info
I have personally honed plenty of custom razors costing more than a $1000 dollars and one thing I can say they definitely don't shave any better than a well honed vintage razor, you are not buying a better shaver just buying a bespoke look.

11 1,921