05-24-2015, 06:18 PM
User Info
This is more then likely asked before but being new here i figured id see what kind of feedback i can get. I have a good amount of brushes i have 5 simpsons and a few others. i also have a plisson synthetic and i have also tried the omega synthetic. I am just wondering what people who have tried simpsons synthetic think about it. i know there was 2 different kinds so i would say the recent one. im more of a badger guy but i like to have variety so a ch2 or if they ever make one a ch1 synthetic might be in my future.

2 359
 05-24-2015, 07:09 PM
User Info
I have a CH 2 synthetic badger and think it is the best synthetic I've ever used. It has great backbone...something I've never been able to say about any other synthetic brush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 2,277
 05-24-2015, 11:53 PM
User Info
I have a CL1 synthetic and I love it. Makes great lather in no time. Only issue I have is the fibres are stiff so when I'm face lathering I find it has a tendency to "flick" small spots of lather but I think that's more user error than the brush itself. To compare, I have the Plisson, TGC, a Nathan Clark Ubersoft and have tried various Muhle STF's and TGN synthetics as well.

23 656
 05-25-2015, 01:25 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I have an original issue LE Chubby 2 synthetic and love it for face lathering anything. Great backbone/stiffness combined with very soft tips make it a winner for me. I also bought the CL1 synthetic for a travel brush and it is more of the same in a smaller version so happy with it too. The face lathering experience with these is at the opposite end of the backbone/stiffness spectrum from my Plisson synthetic. With the Simpsons I feel like I am face lathering but with the Plisson not so much, if that makes any sense. I mean it is the difference, to me, between using a good low lofted 2 band badger and a tall lofted 3 band silver tip badger. Both work but 2 different experiences.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-25-2015, 02:55 AM
User Info
I agree with Bob - The Simpson Synthetic is something you should try. I cannot say that it will work for you, but I found the tips and density/backbone to be the best of the synthetics I've tried. 

I don't think it's perfect - a few mm more loft would make my CH2 synthetic better, but it is still a lovely performer. It caused me to get rid of of my Plisson Synthetic, which was my favourite synthetic brush prior to getting the Simpson.

37 1,743
 05-25-2015, 05:24 AM
User Info
(05-24-2015, 07:09 PM)merkur man Wrote: I have a CH 2 synthetic badger and think it is the best synthetic I've ever used. It has great backbone...something I've never been able to say about any other synthetic brush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

39 3,920
 05-25-2015, 07:58 AM
User Info
I have a number of Simpsons synthetics and they are all slightly different in feel and all superb. For my CH2 I requested the same loft as the prototype that I tested, and Simpsons came through for me; it has the same 54mm of loft that I loved in the prototype. The 2 classics that I have each have different fibers and each feels slightly different if tried side by side. They are all very good and in use all can be recognized as being part of the same family. The knots are all very dense and that is translated into that feel in use.

I've never used the Omega, but I can tell you that the Plisson is nothing like the Simpsons. The Simpsons have far more backbone. The tips are ultra soft in both brands, but since the Plisson has much less backbone and is far less densely packed it might give an illusion of being softer. Pretty much the only thing that the Plisson and the Simpsons have in common is that they are both composed of synthetic fibers. Beyond that, no comparison.

If you get a Simpsons CH2, I strongly suggest you request the longer 54mm loft even if you have to contact Simpsons directly to make sure they know what you want. The Classics are pretty much made to fit into the travel tube and I don't know if they'd make one with more loft as right now, even with the shorter loft, they just fit with no room to spare.

All of my Simpsons have gel like tips when in use with fantastic backbone. There is no corollary to them in natural fibers that I've ever experienced. One can get backbone OR fantastically soft tips, but I've never experienced the Simpsons synthetic feel combined in any natural fiber to the same degree that Simpsons has those qualities.

I have Muhle, Plisson, TGN knots, a Franks Shaving, and the Simpsons synthetics and while I like the others the Simpsons are of higher quality and that is felt on the face IMO.

I have heard one criticism of the Simpsons and in fact all synthetics. It has been said that they lack "soul". I think that means that they can't be felt on the face while in use. Every fiber in a synthetic is the same as all the rest. In a natural fiber brush there are those few fibers that aren't quite the same as the others and that can be felt in use - giving the brush "soul". Synthetics lack those out of spec' fibers.

If you buy one let us know how you like it!

Have a great Memorial Day!

32 6,460
 05-25-2015, 02:26 PM
User Info
(05-25-2015, 07:58 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I have a number of Simpsons synthetics and they are all slightly different in feel and all superb. For my CH2 I requested the same loft as the prototype that I tested, and Simpsons came through for me; it has the same 54mm of loft that I loved in the prototype. The 2 classics that I have each have different fibers and each feels slightly different if tried side by side. They are all very good and in use all can be recognized as being part of the same family. The knots are all very dense and that is translated into that feel in use.

I've never used the Omega, but I can tell you that the Plisson is nothing like the Simpsons. The Simpsons have far more backbone. The tips are ultra soft in both brands, but since the Plisson has much less backbone and is far less densely packed it might give an illusion of being softer. Pretty much the only thing that the Plisson and the Simpsons have in common is that they are both composed of synthetic fibers. Beyond that, no comparison.

If you get a Simpsons CH2, I strongly suggest you request the longer 54mm loft even if you have to contact Simpsons directly to make sure they know what you want. The Classics are pretty much made to fit into the travel tube and I don't know if they'd make one with more loft as right now, even with the shorter loft, they just fit with no room to spare.

All of my Simpsons have gel like tips when in use with fantastic backbone. There is no corollary to them in natural fibers that I've ever experienced. One can get backbone OR fantastically soft tips, but I've never experienced the Simpsons synthetic feel combined in any natural fiber to the same degree that Simpsons has those qualities.

I have Muhle, Plisson, TGN knots, a Franks Shaving, and the Simpsons synthetics and while I like the others the Simpsons are of higher quality and that is felt on the face IMO.

I have heard one criticism of the Simpsons and in fact all synthetics. It has been said that they lack "soul". I think that means that they can't be felt on the face while in use. Every fiber in a synthetic is the same as all the rest. In a natural fiber brush there are those few fibers that aren't quite the same as the others and that can be felt in use - giving the brush "soul". Synthetics lack those out of spec' fibers.

Informative post. Can you describe the differences between your 54mm loft brush and the standard 52mm, please?

3 739
 05-25-2015, 07:02 PM
User Info
(05-25-2015, 02:26 PM)UngerWoo Wrote:
(05-25-2015, 07:58 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I have a number of Simpsons synthetics and they are all slightly different in feel and all superb. For my CH2 I requested the same loft as the prototype that I tested, and Simpsons came through for me; it has the same 54mm of loft that I loved in the prototype. The 2 classics that I have each have different fibers and each feels slightly different if tried side by side. They are all very good and in use all can be recognized as being part of the same family. The knots are all very dense and that is translated into that feel in use.

Informative post. Can you describe the differences between your 54mm loft brush and the standard 52mm, please?

good question, i would think the shorter loft would make more backbone as it would in any other brush

2 359
 05-25-2015, 07:49 PM
User Info
Yes, more backbone, less splay. I don't have one, but from the gents who got the production brushes with the lower loft I knew I didn't want one. But I knew I really liked the higher loft having tested it not long before.

32 6,460
 05-26-2015, 03:15 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(05-25-2015, 07:49 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Yes, more backbone, less splay. I don't have one, but from the gents who got the production brushes with the lower loft I knew I didn't want one. But I knew I really liked the higher loft having tested it not long before.

I have one of the first batch of LE Chubby2 synthetics sold which has a 51mm loft and find it splays just fine for face lathering using circular strokes. It does have plenty of backbone which I like. I am in the minority though it seems. I don't think you could go wrong with either of the lofts but when in doubt it might be best to ask for a 54mm lofted brush.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-27-2015, 04:44 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I have a Muhle synthetic and I like it, but it's too springy for face lathering. I can't get it to splay unless I use a bowl. Does the Simpson have a similar quality or does it splay easier than the Muhle.

3 561
 05-28-2015, 09:35 AM
User Info
I used my CL1 synth today and got a great shave. Easy to build lather, but a really messy brush I find. I get lather and drippy, soapy water all over the place. I guess I should use less water, but this brush (not sure if it's indicative of all Simpsons synth brushes) holds onto water like a badger knot would. I find I really have to shake the water out before I start. 

I used CB Tonsorial Parlour; which if you haven't used it is very soft - cream like really so this texture with a waterlogged brush makes a mess. 

After washing the brush out; for giggles I lathered up some CRSW with a much dryer brush and got excellent, thick lather in no time. I love this brush so much that i'm considering selling my Nathan Clark ultrasoft.

23 656
 05-28-2015, 10:43 AM
User Info
all good info thanks everyone

2 359
 05-28-2015, 10:53 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(05-28-2015, 09:35 AM)Starkicker Wrote: I used my CL1 synth today and got a great shave. Easy to build lather, but a really messy brush I find. I get lather and drippy, soapy water all over the place. I guess I should use less water, but this brush (not sure if it's indicative of all Simpsons synth brushes) holds onto water like a badger knot would. I find I really have to shake the water out before I start. 

I used CB Tonsorial Parlour; which if you haven't used it is very soft - cream like really so this texture with a waterlogged brush makes a mess. 

After washing the brush out; for giggles I lathered up some CRSW with a much dryer brush and got excellent, thick lather in no time. I love this brush so much that i'm considering selling my Nathan Clark ultrasoft.

Yes, all synthetic brushes I have used will let soapy water run down the handle onto you hand if you try to use it like a boar/badger and really dunk it in the water. Just swish the tips in water, a quick shake and load the semi dry brush. Add water a bit at a time by swishing the tips and quick shake before loading some more. Then build your lather in bowl/on face adding water as needed the same way till you get what you want in the way of a lather. 

Synthetics will pick up a decent amount of water but will not retain it rather letting it run out of the knot. Better to let the soap/cream hold the water. They are just that little bit different.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-28-2015, 11:23 AM
User Info
I have hd my Chubby 2 for a few weeks now and love it. MUCH different animal than my Plisson and TGC. It is a lather machine, always more than enough for three passes....probably 5Smile

Splay is much more difficult than a Plisson/TGC though. Upside is, phenomenal backbone. Push it rather hard for the splay and you will be rewarded. It face lathers very quickly and then I go into painting after 20-30 seconds. Easy to control as well. Tips are incredible. At the price, I certainly recommend and will keep mine forever.

55 923