05-25-2015, 04:31 AM
User Info
I almost turn 1 year old into the wet shaving world! So glade I made the switch. My technique got solide and still improves.

But, shaving ATG on my neck does NOT feel good?! No matter what. I tried different razor/blade combination. I tried to varied the angle I shave. Pre shave oil/cream. Always shower prior the shave. Also tried pulling/stretching the Skin, still not feeling good!

So, I just go 2 pass WTG. It gives me a nice shave. But still can feel the grain when rubbing my face ATG. So Im turning to more experimented men for your knowledge.

Thank you!

3 71
 05-25-2015, 04:53 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Try this:

First pass, WTG, North to South

Second pass, XTG, Nose to ear or ear to nose

Third pass, ATG

On my neck right under the chin, my whiskers grow North to South

On the sides of my neck, my whiskers grow from center towards back of jaw

178 23,809
 05-25-2015, 05:06 AM
User Info
Thank you Johnny! I really have No trouble for the face area. Mapping my neck whiskers is mind twisting. Each side of my throat is different, and on a nickel size spot. Hair are running in every direction. Plus my whiskers curls a little. 

I appreciate sharing your 2 cents with me.

3 71
 05-25-2015, 05:07 AM
User Info
I have areas of my neck that I too find very uncomfortable to go ATG.  I do one WTG, then two XTG passes, taking a SLIGHT ATG angle.  Gets me a DFS without any irritation, every time.  

15 403
 05-25-2015, 05:11 AM
User Info
Thanks PN. Right now, Im using a 45 degree angle. Probably what you are doing too. Provides more of a slicing effect. So far this is what works best for me. 

3 71
 05-27-2015, 11:24 PM
User Info
I'm only seven months into DE wet shaving, so I don't have much experience at all.  I still can't go ATG on my neck.

Saving above the jawline: WTG, XTG, and then ATG. This usually results in BBS above the jawline.

Shaving my neck: WTG, XTG one direction, then XTG in the opposite direction.  This results in a closer shave than I've ever gotten before with any shaving method, and without irritation. But, still not BBS.  Maybe some day after my technique improves.

I'm not sure how to deal with swirls and such.  Sorry, I guess I'm not much help. 

0 37
 05-27-2015, 11:33 PM
User Info
For my WTG and XTG passes I do some J hooks in the neck area. Then I do a 3rd in between XTG and ATG pass, before I can do a ATG pass

7 905
 05-28-2015, 06:06 AM
User Info
Good morning, I had the same problem and asked the same questions. I tried different blades, creams you name it. A ATG pass below my jaw line would result in irritation. I am not kidding when I say this but one day I happened to get the angle for my face perfect and the ATG pass I thought to myself do I have a blade in my razor, it was that smooth... So my advice would be don't settle on an ok shave, keep trying with the angles and no pressure.. Try different lather, more cushion less water or less cushion more water making a slicker lather.. For me once I stumbled on that magic angle it's been wonderful bbs shaves..

Hope this helps and it's just what worked for me..

20 1,352
 05-28-2015, 06:49 AM
User Info
2 things, first I have the same problem as you with it comes to the ATG pass and I have 2 solutions.

Solution 1 ,get an r41 and don't go ATG, it works ,trust me get a muhle and do 2 XTG passes and you will have a BBS trust me, I have a copper wire beard, but keep a smooth face this is one way I do it.

Depending on the razor I use for a ATG pass it can and usually does result in blood. Solution 2. Use a milder razor (gillette super speed ,edwin jagger), for your ATG pass. For some reason the only 2 razors that will not cut me or cause massive little dots of blood are the mildest. For me and my face 2 XTG passes is just as close as 1 ATG. Heck one XTG with an r41 is close enough. Also if I shave against the grain I usually get irratation on my neck, so I quit doing it. I still get smooth close shaves the methods just different.

3 1,356
 05-28-2015, 07:05 AM
User Info
What worked for me (and many others I've read) is slack skin shaving.  Sometimes its best to throw out conventional wisdom.   Good discussion here:

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/sh...?tid=17421

53 1,200
 05-28-2015, 07:08 AM
User Info
(05-28-2015, 07:05 AM)david1201 Wrote: What worked for me (and many others I've read) is slack skin shaving.  Sometimes its best to throw out conventional wisdom.   Good discussion here:

+1000000
Never seen this discussed but it works. My kids call it the fatty face, i haft to look as far down as I can and make a huge double chin or that area of my neck will not get smooth.

3 1,356
 05-28-2015, 07:09 AM
User Info
(05-28-2015, 07:05 AM)david1201 Wrote: What worked for me (and many others I've read) is slack skin shaving.  Sometimes its best to throw out conventional wisdom.   Good discussion here:

I recently tried this method, no stretching anywhere and it worked great.  No irritations, no issues, no stubble.

No one can see the micro stubble and unless you stretch the skin and go ATG with your hand, you can't feel it either.  No on needs to be BBS every day, it's something we strive for because it's talked about so much...but no one is truly BBS.  There will always be some evidence of stubble if you look for it but it comes at the cost of redness, irritation, discomfort etc.

2 pass for me.  WTG, ATG, near perfect every day.  Less passes, less irritation and I can shave every day.

8 2,718
 05-28-2015, 07:41 AM
User Info
Don't worry about BBS. As has been mentioned, you don't need to achieve it if it is too uncomfortable for you and there is no need as long as you get a fine shave! Thumbsup

83 21,081
 05-28-2015, 03:34 PM
User Info
(05-28-2015, 07:41 AM)celestino Wrote: Don't worry about BBS. As has been mentioned, you don't need to achieve it if it is too uncomfortable for you and there is no need as long as you get a fine shave! Thumbsup

+1 to what Celestino says!

For me a nice, comfortable shave is the goal.

If there's some stubble there when I check ATG afterwards, I don't sweat it, because I'll shave again tomorrow!
Just be mindful as you shave, keep trying different angles, and minimum pressure, and you'll find just the right combination for your neck, face, and beard!

17 112
 05-28-2015, 04:20 PM
User Info
Signs011 

I find that angle is crucial with ATG passes vs. WTG. If I go too steep of an angle it usually results in some irritation.  Also I feel it's harder to let the razor do the work without adding additional pressure with ATG passes.

Just my two cents.  Good Luck!

4 78
 05-28-2015, 04:26 PM
User Info
I find I can only go ATG using a feather blade any other blade I'll just get irritation. But that's just me. 

9 270
 05-28-2015, 05:00 PM
User Info
Some men cannot go ATG without problems, even they do everything right.  For me, I can go ATG everywhere except the area above my upper lip.  If I go ATG there I will always end up with weepers and irritation.  So I now do two passes XTG in opposite directions in that area.  The result looks as good as if went ATG, without the problems.  If I rub my finger ATG on my upper lip I won't feel a BBS, but why should that matter?  The area looks clean shaven and we don't go around all day feeling our face to see if we have a BBS.  A BBS is not a desirable goal if your skin can't tolerate it.      

50 6,106
 05-28-2015, 06:21 PM
User Info
A sharp blade and stretching the skin are keys "when shaving ATG"  I changed my pre-shave prep from Noxzema Cleansing Cream to this Neutrogena Product.  It's slick, no overpowering smell, and provides lots of protection against irritation.  I rub a small amount into my wet whiskers.  I brush lather my favorite soap or cream directly over-the-top, complete a razor pass, rinse, and repeat the process.

http://www.neutrogena.com/product/neutrogena+men-+sensitive+skin+shave+cream.do?sortby=ourPicks

0 123
 05-28-2015, 06:30 PM
User Info
(05-25-2015, 04:31 AM)Pepfire Wrote: I almost turn 1 year old into the wet shaving world! So glade I made the switch. My technique got solide and still improves.

But, shaving ATG on my neck does NOT feel good?! No matter what. I tried different razor/blade combination. I tried to varied the angle I shave. Pre shave oil/cream. Always shower prior the shave. Also tried pulling/stretching the Skin, still not feeling good!

So, I just go  2 pass WTG. It gives me a nice shave. But still can feel the grain when rubbing my face ATG. So Im turning to more experimented men for your knowledge.

Thank you!

Do you maintain your own razors or send them out for honing.  Just from my experiences, a very sharp edge and skin stretching helps me achieve smooth ATG razor passes.  

0 123
 05-28-2015, 06:36 PM
User Info
(05-28-2015, 06:30 PM)feltspanky Wrote:
(05-25-2015, 04:31 AM)Pepfire Wrote: I almost turn 1 year old into the wet shaving world! So glade I made the switch. My technique got solide and still improves.

So, I just go  2 pass WTG. It gives me a nice shave. But still can feel the grain when rubbing my face ATG. So Im turning to more experimented men for your knowledge.

Thank you!

Do you maintain your own razors or send them out for honing.  Just from my experiences, a very sharp edge and skin stretching helps me achieve smooth ATG razor passes.  
I tried only twice to straight shave ATG. Did not end Well. I now stick to DE razor for now. I really want to be able to use straights on a regular basis. Will keep improving and trying a combination of everything That was listes here. Thanks everyone!

3 71