05-26-2015, 01:17 PM
User Info

1. How do you take care of a safety razor and a DE blade after a shave? My current routine: After every shave I switch the blade in the razor. After every 5'th shave I replace the blade and I scrub the safety razor with a toothbrush and toothpaste. I don't leave the razor overnight in rubbing alcohol and I don't use alcohol to clean the safety razor or blade. That's all I do.
  2. How do I clean and generally care for my shaving brush? My current routine: After each shave I squeeze out the lather,rinse it under warm and then cold water, squeeze the excess water,shake it a few times,lather it on a towel and then finally store it on a stand. I don't use borax, dish detergent or brush cleaning soaps to clean it.

0 98
 05-26-2015, 01:25 PM
User Info
1. I used to switch my blade out every week and would scrub it down with Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush. These days I switch out the blade whenever it occurs to me; sometimes I'll go a week and sometimes I'll go two weeks. And I don't clean the razor unless it starts to really get some build-up on it. I never used to and never now take the blade out of the razor after every shave but I would if I used carbon steel blades since those will rust pretty much instantly.

2. Like my laissez faire attitude toward my razor and blades, I don't do much with my brush either. I'll gently squeeze out the remaining lather, rinse to get all of the soap/cream out, and lightly brush on my towel. I then place it, base down, in my medicine cabinet. I do nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84 1,505
 05-26-2015, 01:26 PM
User Info
(05-26-2015, 01:17 PM)Alex7 Wrote:
  1. How do you take care of a safety razor and a DE blade after a shave? My current routine: After every shave I switch the blade in the razor. After every 5'th shave I replace the blade and I scrub the safety razor with a toothbrush and toothpaste. I don't leave the razor overnight in rubbing alcohol and I don't use alcohol to clean the safety razor or blade. That's all I do.
  2. How do I clean and generally care for my shaving brush? My current routine: After each shave I squeeze out the lather,rinse it under warm and then cold water, squeeze the excess water,shake it a few times,lather it on a towel and then finally store it on a stand. I don't use borax, dish detergent or brush cleaning soaps to clean it.

1- after a shave, I'll generally remove the blade from the razor to give it a quick rinse and wipe with a clean towel as well as doing the same thing with the razor.

2- I squeeze the lather out of the brush, rinse it thoroughly under cool water, shake it out and then run the tips over a towel for a few seconds before putting it on my brush stand to dry.

40 5,830
 05-26-2015, 02:59 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-26-2015, 01:17 PM)Alex7 Wrote:

1.   Having used, as a poor man’s scuttle during the shave, a wide-low coffee mug, sitting in the sink with hot water almost up to the rim, I now fill the cup with running hot water, with the brush still resting in it, to get out most of the lather.  After turning off the running water, I “pump” the brush, bristles down, in the water of the full cup, without pushing all the way down (which would cause the bristles to splay on the bottom of the cup:  no-no).  Then, I empty the cup, refill the cup with hot water, and “pump” the brush in the same manner, adding running hot water, until the water spilling over the cup’s rim is clear.   I turn off the running hot water, pull out the brush and place the razor in the hot water of the cup to soak for a while while I shake out the brush and dry it by “lathering” (i.e., I mimic the motions of lathering) on a towel.  Then I put the brush, bristles down, in its stand.
  2.   Turning my attention to the razor, I place the razor cap down on the side of the sink and unscrew the handle, which I rinse again in the cup, dry off, and place, screw hole down, vertically standing, on the shelf; repeat with the razor’s base plate.  I carefully lift the blade off the cap and, holding it from one end, wave the blade in the cup of hot water until all visible residue has disappeared; then I blot the blade on the towel — no rubbing — and place it atop an inverted plastic dosing cup (saved from a long-ago  bottle of Nyquil) sitting on the shelf, to allow the blade further to air-dry, ready for the next shave.  Finally, I rinse and towel dry the top cap of the razor as I had the razor handle and the razor base plate, and stand the top cap, vertically standing on its screw stem, on the shelf of the cabinet above the sink, next to the other razor parts. 
The entire process takes perhaps 2 to 2½ minutes.

1 1,089
 05-27-2015, 02:46 AM
User Info
Rinse the razor and brush in hot running water after each shave, a more throughout cleaning when needed. Caveat: I got soft water.

3 4,504
 05-27-2015, 08:41 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(05-26-2015, 01:26 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: 1- after a shave, I'll generally remove the blade from the razor to give it a quick rinse and wipe with a clean towel as well as doing the same thing with the razor.

2- I squeeze the lather out of the brush, rinse it thoroughly under cool water, shake it out and then run the tips over a towel for a few seconds before putting it on my brush stand to dry.

This is exactly what I do. Takes literally a minute, and my razors stay clean. I don't have to pick a day each month as "razor cleaning day" to clean them all, like I've seen a few posts about.

2 1,683
 05-27-2015, 08:48 AM
User Info
On my DE's, I take the blade out and rinse it off, then dry it and put away.  My razors I take apart, rinse them off very well with hot water and dry them off with a dry cloth but if the soap wasnt the greatest lather or the razor showed some slight clogging during the shave, then I have an old toothbrush I will use on the plate and cap to clean it up.  Might sound kinda anal but I take care of my razors as they are the stainless ones which cost me more!  Let them air out for a few minutes or so, then put them back together and put away.  I never leave a blade in a razor and always clean them before putting them away.

2 116
 05-27-2015, 11:51 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Razor: Rinse thoroughly, flick and put in stand

Brush: Rinse thoroughly, flick and put in stand

A good way to test to make sure you are rinsing out all the residue of your brush is to brush the dry knot against your hand.  If you see a bunch of dust escaping the bristles when doing this, then that is left over lather residue that has dried inside the knot.  A little lather dust is to be expected, but I treat my brushes like my babies and almost never have any residue remaining when doing this test. 

The razor will always have some residue that needs to be wiped off after some time.  I usually rotate razors and give them a quick going over with dish soap and a toothbrush before drying and putting back into storage.

145 2,752
 05-27-2015, 06:05 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(05-27-2015, 11:51 AM)blzrfn Wrote: Razor: Rinse thoroughly, flick and put in stand

Brush: Rinse thoroughly, flick and put in stand

A good way to test to make sure you are rinsing out all the residue of your brush is to brush the dry knot against your hand.  If you see a bunch of dust escaping the bristles when doing this, then that is left over lather residue that has dried inside the knot.  A little lather dust is to be expected, but I treat my brushes like my babies and almost never have any residue remaining when doing this test. 

The razor will always have some residue that needs to be wiped off after some time.  I usually rotate razors and give them a quick going over with dish soap and a toothbrush before drying and putting back into storage.

Signs011

7 2,151
 05-28-2015, 12:01 PM
  • 01HDFXD
  • Philadelphia & New Orleans
User Info
FWIW, I loosen the razor head and hold it under hot running water for a few seconds.  Then I disassemble it and remove the blade.  If the blade has only been used once, I pat it dry in a terrycloth wash cloth, put it back in its paper sleeve, and let it sit open to dry.  If the blade has been used twice, I wrap it up and toss it.  I then do the same drying procedure with the razor parts, plus I run a Q-tip down the thread of the handle, and leave them out, disassembled, to dry thoroughly until the next day.

For the brush, I hold the bristles under running water and keep squeezing it until no more soap appears when I squeeze it.  Then I give it 8 or 10 good hard shakes and hang it in a brush stand on my vanity.

0 23
 05-28-2015, 05:09 PM
User Info
I take my DE apart, rinse it well, and scrub the base plate with a toothbrush because that's the area most likely to accumulate residue.  I then store it unassembled.  As to the blade, I rinse it well, pat it dry on a towel, and dip it in alcohol prior to setting it aside for its next use.   

50 6,097
 05-28-2015, 07:32 PM
User Info
when it gets too gunky, clean it.
Brush, when it stinks, clean it, but with all that soap and lather, it won't really stink at all.

53 760
 06-06-2015, 09:19 PM
User Info
I take my razor that I an using apart after every use rinse each piece in hot water and polish it with a towel and pat the blade dry. Reassemble it and put in it's case to await is next use. My brush get rinsed out with bit water and hung to dry. I don't have a problem using brushes several days in a row...just whatever I feel like. I like thelegalrazor's routine from above I may tweak my ritual a little and store unassembled and tinder blade in alcohol or barbicide going forward. That is what I love about this forum.

11 61
 06-07-2015, 04:39 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I take the blade out, rinse it if it's a stainless or give it a quick alcohol bath if it's a vintage carbon, then rinse and and brush out the razor with a soft toothbrush and maybe mild soap (whatever is at hand) towel dry and put it back together (except for the blade if it's a carbon).

7 2,327
 06-07-2015, 04:54 AM
User Info
Razor: I rinse and strop on a towel twice. Clean with alcohol when needed.
Brush: I rinse, flick, lather on a towel, and put in stand. 
Note: I too have soft water.

1 142
 06-07-2015, 05:10 AM
User Info
I just rinse the razor off after each shave, give it a shake, tab off any extra water, then place on a rack. If I start to see build up I will give it a quick scrub with a toddler tooth brush. The little head makes it easier for tight spaces and the bristles are extra soft so no worry on leaving marks on any razor finish. If the handle is open all the way through like a Merkur 34C or hollow like a standard 3 piece I will use a pipe cleaner through it/in it to remove any possible residue. 

After each shave I just run the brush under hot water, squeezing the soap out. I will gently splay the brush with my fingers making sure the water is rinsing further into the knot until nonstop is seen. I give it one last squeeze, some good shakes in the shower so as not to fling water everywhere, gently rub tips on towel and wipe off handle, then place on shelf to dry. 

147 3,539
 06-08-2015, 01:37 PM
User Info
I change my blade every shave even though I know I could get more shaves out of them but as cheap as they are I'm willing to pay the little extra in search of a great consistent shave.  Before I start cleaning up my shave area drying brush etc. i remove the blade from the razor and set my razor in a disinfecting tray i got off of amazon $15 filled with barbicide and water.  After my clean up I remove the razor give it a quick splash under the sink a quick dry and Its good to go for tomorrow.

[Image: XYM6jio.jpg]

79 824
 06-08-2015, 04:31 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I  just rinse both in warm water and I dip my razor in alcohol. I've found that I don't have to scrub it as often since I started dipping it in alcohol. 

3 561
 07-10-2015, 03:07 PM
User Info
I have several DE razors and I rotate them 1 per week.  When I retire a razor for the week I remove the blade, dispose of it safely, clean the razor with toothpaste and brush and leave it open to dry adequately before I put it to bed until I call on it again.  As for my brushes I have 4 and I rotate them every day.  After a shave I rinse it in warm and then cold water, hang it  bristles down to dry overnight and then stand it up in line until I need it again.  Once every few months I will give my brushes a shampoo and conditioner wash and rinse.

0 43
 07-17-2015, 08:05 AM
User Info
(07-10-2015, 03:07 PM)James D Wrote: I have several DE razors and I rotate them 1 per week.  When I retire a razor for the week I remove the blade, dispose of it safely, clean the razor with toothpaste and brush and leave it open to dry adequately before I put it to bed until I call on it again.  As for my brushes I have 4 and I rotate them every day.  After a shave I rinse it in warm and then cold water, hang it  bristles down to dry overnight and then stand it up in line until I need it again.  Once every few months I will give my brushes a shampoo and conditioner wash and rinse.

Same here, except I'm not all that diligent about shampooing my brushes regularly. Usually once a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 372