05-26-2015, 08:12 PM
User Info
I've been wanting to get a good Rose scented soap that isn't too much on the sweet smelling side. Was hoping some of you that have Rose scented soaps can give me some recommendations. The ones that I know of are these:
TOBS - Rose
George F. Trumper - Rose
WSP - SandalRose
Mystic Water - Sandalwood Rose
Mikes Natural - Rose Cedarwood
Catie's Bubbles - La Rose du Mechant
QCS - Rose Otto
TSD - Desert Rose
Le Pere Lucien - Rose de Pushkar

I'm sure there are many more but I have been leaning towards either Rose Otto, TSD(Mainly because TSD scents seem to last post Shave for awhile) or Le Pere Lucien(Mainly because I've really wanted to try a Le Pere Lucien for awhile but is it really worth paying $40+ for a soap?) I've heard good things about many if these soaps but have no way if actually smelling any of them so that's where you guys that actually have some of these soaps come in!  So which one do I get or is there a better one that isn't on my list? Thanks for taking the time to make a recommendation.

4 929
 05-26-2015, 08:19 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I'm not a fan of straight up rose scents so take my recommendations with a grain of salt.  The Czech & Speake No 88 offers a very nice complex scent centered around rose, with some other floral notes to soften the blow and a touch of woodiness to add a darker note.  Along those same lines, but with a more pronounced woody note is Mike's Rose and Cedarwood.  The Mike's isn't as complex but isn't as in your face as other rose scents that I have tried.  Geo. F Trumper's Rose shaving cream is about as close to smelling an actual rose as I have ever experienced, which is why I have never replaced the tube that I started out with and PIF'd shortly thereafter.  Good luck on your hunt!

149 2,823
 05-26-2015, 08:32 PM
User Info
Wickhams Super Smooth has an English Rose that is pretty good. The performance is also excellent. I bought it on the forum and have been quite happy. Never tried one but heard that the Klar Kabinett is a rose based shave soap. The replacement is the Dusy Cabinet that is still available and will be trying one in the next couple of weeks. Good luck finding one that you like. Please report back on where you land and how it performs. 

10 64
 05-26-2015, 09:26 PM
User Info
Caties Bubbles is a decent soap but the scent is sweet but very light.

Wickham rose is just as nice as CB but different and not as sweet. Wickhams is not a good soap though.

GFT rose smells very artificial...

TSD soaps are melt and pour... The scents are very strong and perfumey and synthetic. I can't say about the rose specifically having not tried that scent.

I can not endorse this soap seeing I have not used it but Soap Commander also offers a rose scent.

18 713
 05-26-2015, 10:09 PM
User Info
I'm particularly fond of the Vulfix English Rose shaving cream, just a nice light/fresh scent. It's not that expensive and it lathers really well too !

7 787
 05-26-2015, 10:19 PM
User Info
Mystic Water Sandalwood Rose is an unbelievably beautiful scent, but it isn't your typical strong Rose scent as the Sandalwood really blends beautifully with the Rose to offer one of the most subtly magnificent combinations I have tried. Just a delight; of course, YMMV and I just might be a tad partial to the scents offered by this artisan.  Smile

83 21,115
 05-26-2015, 10:22 PM
User Info
(05-26-2015, 10:19 PM)celestino Wrote: Mystic Water Sandalwood Rose is an unbelievably beautiful scent, but it isn't your typical strong Rose scent as the Sandalwood really blends beautifully with the Rose to offer one of the most subtly magnificent combinations I have tried. Just a delight; of course, YMMV and I just might be a tad partial to the scents offered by this artisan.  Smile

Have to agree with your appraisal. A wonderful "rosy" scent!

Love QCS Rose Otto too.

10 1,708
 05-27-2015, 12:22 AM
User Info
(05-26-2015, 10:19 PM)celestino Wrote: Mystic Water Sandalwood Rose is an unbelievably beautiful scent, but it isn't your typical strong Rose scent as the Sandalwood really blends beautifully with the Rose to offer one of the most subtly magnificent combinations I have tried. Just a delight; of course, YMMV and I just might be a tad partial to the scents offered by this artisan.  Smile

+1 on Mystic Water Sandalwood Rose. Amazing scent.

Just add Catie's Bubbles La Rose du Mechant, lovely Rose scent that lingers on skin after shave.

0 563
 05-27-2015, 01:23 AM
User Info
Jabonman Rosas is the best Rose I have used and the only Rose in my collection.  This soap has the performance for which Manuel's soaps are known.  His Rose scent reminds me of the Rose bushes in my Grandmother's garden when a youngster.  It has a mild, natural Rose scent.  One of my favorites.

Ed

22 764
 05-27-2015, 04:06 AM
User Info
Truefitt & Hill Rose cream has a wonderful clean rose scent, the closest to real that I have found.  

For a soap the choices get much trickier; I really like the scent profile of Geo F Trumpers Rose soap, but one puck I had was a complete dud and the other lathers "ok" (hardly what you would expect at that price point) 

8 240
 05-27-2015, 04:29 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Soap Commander's Love is an excellent rose soap. Scent in the same category as Klar Kabinett.

Both me and my wife enjoy the scent

9 1,684
 05-27-2015, 05:17 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Nanny's Silly Soap makes and English Rose, and my favorite, Rose Geranium. Her soaps are wonderful.

If you can't find the famous Klar Kabinett, Soap Commander makes a very nice rose scented soap, and the performance is terrific.

38 5,201
 05-27-2015, 05:51 AM
User Info
I've never seen them, but I recall reading that Bulgaria -- a nation famous for growing roses -- produces some good rose shaving creams.

8 951
 05-27-2015, 06:14 AM
User Info
Wickham's English Rose is a very nice Rose scent that is not too sweet, and a great performer. Dusy Kabinett is a little sweeter and more powdery. I've also tried Mike's Rose and Cedarwood and can highly recommend it. Very deep Rose with just a hint of woods. 

42 1,199
 05-27-2015, 06:18 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I didn't really care for rose scents in general, particularly I found the GFT or TOBS samples I had too floral.
The only rose I really liked was the Klars Kabbinet, unfortunately I didn't pick up a brick before it was discontinued. I've been hoping that Dusy Kabbinet would turn up state-side but haven't see it yet.

2 523
 05-27-2015, 07:38 AM
User Info
(05-26-2015, 10:09 PM)AndyC Wrote: I'm particularly fond of the Vulfix English Rose shaving cream, just a nice light/fresh scent. It's not that expensive and it lathers really well too !

It is really good, a mild Rose.

The Dusy has some strong but not unpleasant Rose scent to it. Good soap, too. Shavingt soaps are so different!...
That is about all rose scented soaps I have. Would be interested in the Jabonman soap- usually very well done scents-, and the Mystic Waters Smile

Philipp

21 1,175
 05-27-2015, 07:38 AM
User Info
You left out (IMO) the best rose currently available. Soap Commander's Love, which is a dupe of Klar Kabinett (according to many, the best rose ever made). Love doesn't smell powdery and artificial like so many (TOBS, GFT, Mike's); it smells like an actual rose bush with not only the true honest-to-god rose petal scent but also the greenery in the background.

16 1,027
 05-27-2015, 08:45 AM
User Info
Wow, honestly wasn't expecting to get this much feedback on Rose scents. Haven't heard from anyone with Rose de Pushkar, I know it's not commonly available but can anyone chime in on it that has a tub? And thanks to all of you that have helped out with your advice! 

4 929
 05-27-2015, 09:16 AM
User Info
Simpsons Vanille e Rose is excellent and has a nice smell of rose! Very delicate!!

0 120
 05-27-2015, 09:19 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I was disappointed with the GFT Rose soap because it wouldn't lather worth a darn.  As with most of my shaving supplies, my go to brand is TOBS and this applies to their rose shaving cream; great scent and lathers flawlessly.

7 938