05-27-2015, 03:50 AM
User Info
Recently my eyes were bothering me; I had a hard time taking the normal bathroom light.
For part of my shave, I had my eyes closed and was doing it by feel.

It made me wonder how those with permanently impaired vision go about shaving.
I expect their dens must be very well organized.
If a brush were to be used, I imagine face-lathering with creams wouldn't be as big an obstacle.

8 896
 05-27-2015, 06:13 AM
User Info
They use injectors and face lather arko.

18 713
 05-27-2015, 07:02 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, I have some experience with this.  My neighbor across the street is blind and he shaves with a Norelco Electric Razor.

A group of men from our church volunteers to go to one of our local nursing homes to shave two different blind men every other day.  Bud always knows when I show up as he loves the Proraso and I am the only one who uses it.  My nursing home shave consist of a Schick Injector, Proraso Green Pre Shave Cream, Proraso Green Soap, and Proraso Green After Shave and Proraso After Shave Balm.  I use a Plisson Synthetic Brush for face lathering.

Most of the men from the church us different brands of electric razors.  One of our men is a retired barber and he brings a Marvy Mug, boar brush, Torrey Straight, and ARKO stick.  He generally uses Aqua Velva but sometimes brings an old bottle of Clubman.

It is a fun and very rewarding experience.

175 23,752
 05-27-2015, 09:14 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
A friend of mine who used to teach people how to shave with a straight razor has had several blind people in his seminars and they where able to learn it.

28 1,433
 05-27-2015, 02:53 PM
User Info
I recall reading that the Gillette Guard was developed for men shaving in India, many of whom frequently shave without a mirror. That's tough for me to imagine, but I guess you get used to it.

0 1,053
 05-27-2015, 05:40 PM
User Info
(05-27-2015, 02:53 PM)Shannon Wrote: I recall reading that the Gillette Guard was developed for men shaving in India, many of whom frequently shave without a mirror.  That's tough for me to imagine, but I guess you get used to it.

I've shaved many times during my time in the military without a mirror. You just go by feel really. Before his death my grand dad was nearly blind and he used an electric as well. There were a few times he would try to shave with a razor but with his eyes and old age it wasn't pretty. My grand dad was a hardcore military man till his last breath, he wouldn't say the word can't ever that I can recall. Even without his vision his quality of life wasn't that effected by it.  I believe and this is just my opinion  but a blind person in good health would be able to shave with a straight. Maybe even a DE if they had help loading the blade.

3 1,356
 05-27-2015, 06:19 PM
User Info
(05-27-2015, 07:02 AM)Johnny Wrote: Well, I have some experience with this.  My neighbor across the street is blind and he shaves with a Norelco Electric Razor.

A group of men from our church volunteers to go to one of our local nursing homes to shave two different blind men every other day.  Bud always knows when I show up as he loves the Proraso and I am the only one who uses it.  My nursing home shave consist of a Schick Injector, Proraso Green Pre Shave Cream, Proraso Green Soap, and Proraso Green After Shave and Proraso After Shave Balm.  I use a Plisson Synthetic Brush for face lathering.

Most of the men from the church us different brands of electric razors.  One of our men is a retired barber and he brings a Marvy Mug, boar brush, Torrey Straight, and ARKO stick.  He generally uses Aqua Velva but sometimes brings an old bottle of Clubman.

Very interesting. I've been wondering how different it is to shave someone else vs yourself. 
I'd guess jus like learning how to shave properly it will take some practice before you get it. But the idea of making mistakes on someone else's face ... Feel more inclined towards the electric razor and a nice AS. 
BTW, I really admire people like you who help others on a regular basis. 

8 1,062
 05-27-2015, 10:47 PM
User Info
(05-27-2015, 07:02 AM)Johnny Wrote: Well, I have some experience with this.  My neighbor across the street is blind and he shaves with a Norelco Electric Razor.

I think that it's awesome that you do this, Johnny!  

I would imagine that most of these guys really appreciate this.  In their day, they would have probably shaved daily and never thought of going to dinner without a shave and then dressing properly to go out.  At least, that was how I remember my Grandpap.

I have an uncle in the nursing home and I've always thought he would enjoy a shave with a brush, soap, and proper razor.  But, I'm still wet around the ears as a traditional wet shaver, so I'm still in practice mode.  The Schick Injector sounds like that might be feasible, though.  I hadn't thought of that.  I have a couple of injectors(I have too many razors), so maybe.....   

0 37
 05-28-2015, 11:03 AM
User Info

Wow Johnny!  I'm impressed!  That really is a good way to tackle the obsession to shave your own face more than once a day.

21 555
 05-28-2015, 02:15 PM
User Info
(05-27-2015, 10:47 PM)Blade4vor Wrote:

I think that it's awesome that you do this, Johnny!  

I would imagine that most of these guys really appreciate this.  In their day, they would have probably shaved daily and never thought of going to dinner without a shave and then dressing properly to go out.  At least, that was how I remember my Grandpap.

I have an uncle in the nursing home and I've always thought he would enjoy a shave with a brush, soap, and proper razor.  But, I'm still wet around the ears as a traditional wet shaver, so I'm still in practice mode.  The Schick Injector sounds like that might be feasible, though.  I hadn't thought of that.  I have a couple of injectors(I have too many razors), so maybe.....   

I'm sure their families appreciate it to.  My sister told me that she remembers when we visited my grandfather in the hospital prior to his passing and saw him unshaven.  So as a nurse caring for very sick patients, she always shaves her male patients when family is coming to visit.

0 1,053
 05-28-2015, 07:33 PM
User Info
i'd say electric razor would be the easiest.

53 760
 05-30-2015, 12:54 AM
User Info
I occasionally shave in the shower, no mirror. Don't get bbs, but always a decent shave.
But with my Fusion Bolin Webb razor it's a pretty easy task.

24 5,843
 06-01-2015, 12:10 AM
User Info
I can't compare myself to someone with an actual physical impairment, but I feel that if I were to lose my sight, I would have no issue continuing to shave my head/face with straight/DE/SE or cart. Often times, I close my eyes while shaving my head. I never bother with a mirror for the back, just go by feel. If I didn't maintain a beard on my face, I'd probably close my eyes shaving that too. You'd be surprised how aware you are of your features without looking. Close your eyes and touch the tip of your nose.....Bet you don't miss.

4 63
 06-03-2015, 07:23 AM
User Info
Great volunteer service Johnny!

I do a partial blind pass on my jaw and neck.  I close my eyes and lean in to do some j-hooking.  Kind of strange I know, but it works. :-)

1 135
 06-03-2015, 07:36 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I just got back from the nursing home.  I changed things up on old Bud today.  I took some MWF and Floid Blue with me today.  Thought I could fool him with the different soap and after shave.  I did not say a word even though he tried to carry on a conversation.  Got his face prepped and made a good lather with MWF.  As soon as I took the first stroke with the Schick Injector Bud said,  Johnny, you changed soaps.  I asked how he knew that was me and he said he could tell by my  touch.  Then he said besides, you are the only left handed shaver here.

Anyway he loved the MWF shave and he really liked my Floid Blue.  Next time I go there I will take both Proraso and MWF and give him the choice.

175 23,752
 06-03-2015, 07:57 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(06-03-2015, 07:36 AM)Johnny Wrote: I just got back from the nursing home.  I changed things up on old Bud today.  I took some MWF and Floid Blue with me today.  Thought I could fool him with the different soap and after shave.  I did not say a word even though he tried to carry on a conversation.  Got his face prepped and made a good lather with MWF.  As soon as I took the first stroke with the Schick Injector Bud said,  Johnny, you changed soaps.  I asked how he knew that was me and he said he could tell by my  touch.  Then he said besides, you are the only left handed shaver here.

Anyway he loved the MWF shave and he really liked my Floid Blue.  Next time I go there I will take both Proraso and MWF and give him the choice.

Johnny- great way to give back and huge amount of respect for your efforts. I actually oversee Community and Social Responsibility initiatives for the company at which I work and this has given me an idea for activities which we can implement in that regard.

Thanks for that and keep up the great service!

Kevin

2 1,180