05-28-2015, 12:15 AM
User Info
Tired of dealing with it and looking rather shiny every other hour or even shorter. Anyone who deals with this, I'd love to know how to combat it.

Any help in this area, gentlemen?

1 1,975
 05-28-2015, 05:36 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Since I started using alum post shave and avoid AS balms for the most part it seems to have helped.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-28-2015, 06:54 AM
User Info
(05-28-2015, 05:36 AM)BobH Wrote: Since I started using alum post shave and avoid AS balms for the most part it seems to have helped.

Bob

+1 also noticed a difference when I started using proraso pre post (noxzema). I also have been using trumpers skin food too. Trumpers is good stuff it's a little pricey and the lime smells just like lemon lime Gatorade but I can't argue with the results.

3 1,356
 05-28-2015, 09:33 AM
User Info
The Free and Clear oil absorbing sheets are very good. Target also makes a cheaper version of it. The alum and other solutions are YMMV.

10 64
 05-28-2015, 10:10 AM
User Info
Is there a moisturizer that i should be looking at? This doesn't occur right after shaving, as i shave my head more than my face, it's basically my face, the "t zone" that everyone always talks about.

From my Tab through the Tap

1 1,975
 05-28-2015, 08:00 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
 I have really oily skin on my face, and alcohol based AS seems to take care of it. However, I would caution that you need to be careful how much you use on your neck area. My face is quite oily, but it turns out my neck is not. I use AS on my face daily, with good results, but if I use it daily on my neck I get breakouts. I thought it was collar rash from wearing a suit and tie 3 times a week. Turns out my neck doesn't like the alcohol that much. So 2 or 3 times a week I hit my neck, but daily on my face.

2 1,678
 05-28-2015, 08:32 PM
User Info
(05-28-2015, 08:00 PM)SRNewb Wrote:  I have really oily skin on my face, and alcohol based AS seems to take care of it. However, I would caution that you need to be careful how much you use on your neck area. My face is quite oily, but it turns out my neck is not. I use AS on my face daily, with good results, but if I use it daily on my neck I get breakouts. I thought it was collar rash from wearing a suit and tie 3 times a week. Turns out my neck doesn't like the alcohol that much. So 2 or 3 times a week I hit my neck, but daily on my face.
Now see, or seems as if the alcohol would dry out and cause the skin to produce more oil.

1 1,975
 05-28-2015, 11:33 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(05-28-2015, 08:32 PM)C-NoEviL Wrote:
(05-28-2015, 08:00 PM)SRNewb Wrote:  I have really oily skin on my face, and alcohol based AS seems to take care of it. However, I would caution that you need to be careful how much you use on your neck area. My face is quite oily, but it turns out my neck is not. I use AS on my face daily, with good results, but if I use it daily on my neck I get breakouts. I thought it was collar rash from wearing a suit and tie 3 times a week. Turns out my neck doesn't like the alcohol that much. So 2 or 3 times a week I hit my neck, but daily on my face.
Now see, or seems as if the alcohol would dry out and cause the skin to produce more oil.

I don't get that idea. When you're dealing with oily skin, the logical approach to me would be to reduce the amount of oil in the skin, whatever you use. I can't see alcohol being any different than anything else used. I certainly would not go with a moisturizer.
And I'm not certain the skin would react to a bit of drying by producing more oil. The goal is to reduce the oil, not entirely eliminate it. As long as you reach and maintain a healthy level, I don't see the skin reacting by trying to replenish the oils. I would guess it would be a balancing act, whether you use alcohol or something else. That is my approach, anyway. And it works for me.

2 1,678
 05-29-2015, 02:34 AM
User Info
I would look at a facial soap specifically for oily skin. I use the Erno Laszlo mud bar, they also have an oil control bar as well. 
http://essenza-nobile.de/skincare/erno-l...g-bar.html

Very high quality and it lasts forever.

23 474
 05-29-2015, 07:00 AM
User Info
Right there with you Bryan. I started using Ponds facial moisturizer cream you can get at Walmart and it helps. Also noticed improvement using raw Shea Butter. Has not solved the problem but has Def made a difference. Anymore I just occasionally take a paper towel and wipe face once or twice a day to lessen the amount or just gently wash my face half way through the day. Hope you find something that solves the problem for you. If you do, let me know the trick! 

144 3,401
 05-29-2015, 08:14 AM
User Info
do you think a continued irritance could be the cause of it?

21 1,175
 05-29-2015, 09:37 AM
User Info
(05-28-2015, 11:33 PM)SRNewb Wrote:
(05-28-2015, 08:32 PM)C-NoEviL Wrote:

I don't get that idea. When you're dealing with oily skin, the logical approach to me would be to reduce the amount of oil in the skin, whatever you use. I can't see alcohol being any different than anything else used. I certainly would not go with a moisturizer.
And I'm not certain the skin would react to a bit of drying by producing more oil. The goal is to reduce the oil, not entirely eliminate it. As long as you reach and maintain a healthy level, I don't see the skin reacting by trying to replenish the oils. I would guess it would be a balancing act, whether you use alcohol or something else. That is my approach, anyway. And it works for me.
You're right, it's logical, but I've done this, and it hasn't worked, period. And using a moisturizer seems insane, but most state that, that is the way to accomplish what i am looking for.

I'll have to find out other options, or do the illogical thing and get oil to remove oil.

1 1,975
 05-29-2015, 09:40 AM
User Info
(05-29-2015, 02:34 AM)mixershave Wrote: I would look at a facial soap specifically for oily skin. I use the Erno Laszlo mud bar, they also have an oil control bar as well. 
http://essenza-nobile.de/skincare/erno-l...g-bar.html

Very high quality and it lasts forever.
I'll give this a check out.
(05-29-2015, 07:00 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Right there with you Bryan. I started using Ponds facial moisturizer cream you can get at Walmart and it helps. Also noticed improvement using raw Shea Butter. Has not solved the problem but has Def made a difference. Anymore I just occasionally take a paper towel and wipe face once or twice a day to lessen the amount or just gently wash my face half way through the day. Hope you find something that solves the problem for you. If you do, let me know the trick! 
I will surely do so, Freddie.
(05-29-2015, 08:14 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: do you think a continued irritance could be the cause of it?
No, simple washing and clean rag without hard scrubbing.

1 1,975
 05-29-2015, 12:43 PM
User Info
Bryan,

try some African black soap.  try to buy the pure stuff, if you can...it'll be better than the diluted crap a lot of these big box stores sell.

here's a post where a female describes having oily skin like you and using black soap with much success: http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/09/tru...p-my-skin/

she also links to this soap from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023A7...witlonh-20

$11.20 for a pack of 4 bars is a steal!

40 5,830
 05-29-2015, 12:44 PM
User Info
I have personally used many "Oil Control" lotions and moisturizers to mixed effect. The thing that has worked amazingly for me is Neutrogena Deep Clean Long-Last Shine control. It is a face wash/mask that controls oil better then any other product I have used. It is readily available and not very expensive.
http://www.neutrogena.com/product/deep+c...er-mask.do

3 78
 05-29-2015, 04:23 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(05-29-2015, 09:37 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote:
(05-28-2015, 11:33 PM)SRNewb Wrote:
(05-28-2015, 08:32 PM)C-NoEviL Wrote: Now see, or seems as if the alcohol would dry out and cause the skin to produce more oil.

You're right, it's logical, but I've done this, and it hasn't worked, period. And using a moisturizer seems insane, but most state that, that is the way to accomplish what i am looking for.

I'll have to find out other options, or do the illogical thing and get oil to remove oil.

Do what works for you, whatever that might be! Good luck!

2 1,678
 05-29-2015, 06:37 PM
User Info
(05-29-2015, 12:43 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: Bryan,

try some African black soap.  try to buy the pure stuff, if you can...it'll be better than the diluted crap a lot of these big box stores sell.

here's a post where a female describes having oily skin like you and using black soap with much success: http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/09/tru...p-my-skin/

she also links to this soap from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023A7...witlonh-20

$11.20 for a pack of 4 bars is a steal!

(05-29-2015, 12:44 PM)nicholasJm Wrote: I have personally used many "Oil Control" lotions and moisturizers to mixed effect. The thing that has worked amazingly for me is Neutrogena Deep Clean Long-Last Shine control. It is a face wash/mask that controls oil better then any other product I have used. It is readily available and not very expensive.
http://www.neutrogena.com/product/deep+c...er-mask.do
Thanks fellas, I'll check em out.

1 1,975
 05-29-2015, 07:59 PM
User Info
Also ive used noxzema or proraso pre post or phoenix preshave soap. With pre shave soap  I apply before a shower and wash my face with it and it alone in the shower. Sometimes The "T" zone gets a little oily on my face and I pulled out the wifes proactive , I dunno what its supposed to do but  ot did get rid of the oilyness. Any mild soap made for your face will work as a for lack of a better word degreaser. Honestly though and not trying to keep repeating products but alum has done wonders for my skin and its cheap.

3 1,356
 05-30-2015, 06:37 PM
User Info
Get a bottle of cetaphil that washes your face very gently without stripping it.  I wash my face three times a day with it and since it is so gentle it does not dry me out but removes the grime and shine.

0 131
 05-30-2015, 07:17 PM
User Info
Bryan, I share a similar type of skin.  There are many good ideas here, but I suspect that you will need to find the one that is right for you.  Everyone's body chemistry is a bit different.

Several good options:

+1 to the African Black Soap - works for me, but more on soap in a moment

My dermatologist always recommended washing one's face using only your hands to lather the soap, no scrubby, no washcloth, etc.

Ditch any of the common "soaps" from the supermarket such as Dial.  They tend to produce that effect you mentioned of drying out the skin too much and causing the body to overcompensate.  Maybe Dove.

Embrace the tallow and other natural oil soaps that this forum supports.  Such as the black soap above, but again, you may need to try a number of different products to find the one that works for you: tallow, olive oil, or other natural oil based soaps.  Olive oil soaps are generally crap for shaving, but decent for your skin.  

There seem to be a lot of variables in the alcohol or witch hazel based aftershaves, but simple ingredient lists will likely be better.  Aloe and calendula are two key ingredients that reduce oily, or uncomfortably dried out skin for me.  

Good luck!

Matt

26 243