05-30-2015, 07:39 PM
User Info
(05-30-2015, 07:17 PM)Streambrewer Wrote: Bryan, I share a similar type of skin.  There are many good ideas here, but I suspect that you will need to find the one that is right for you.  Everyone's body chemistry is a bit different.

Several good options:

+1 to the African Black Soap - works for me, but more on soap in a moment

My dermatologist always recommended washing one's face using only your hands to lather the soap, no scrubby, no washcloth, etc.

Ditch any of the common "soaps" from the supermarket such as Dial.  They tend to produce that effect you mentioned of drying out the skin too much and causing the body to overcompensate.  Maybe Dove.

Embrace the tallow and other natural oil soaps that this forum supports.  Such as the black soap above, but again, you may need to try a number of different products to find the one that works for you: tallow, olive oil, or other natural oil based soaps.  Olive oil soaps are generally crap for shaving, but decent for your skin.  

There seem to be a lot of variables in the alcohol or witch hazel based aftershaves, but simple ingredient lists will likely be better.  Aloe and calendula are two key ingredients that reduce oily, or uncomfortably dried out skin for me.  

Good luck!

Matt
Matt, i truly appreciate your response and position. I am going to look into this.

1 1,975
 05-31-2015, 11:48 AM
User Info
(05-30-2015, 07:39 PM)C-NoEviL Wrote:
(05-30-2015, 07:17 PM)Streambrewer Wrote: Bryan, I share a similar type of skin.  There are many good ideas here, but I suspect that you will need to find the one that is right for you.  Everyone's body chemistry is a bit different.

Several good options:

+1 to the African Black Soap - works for me, but more on soap in a moment

My dermatologist always recommended washing one's face using only your hands to lather the soap, no scrubby, no washcloth, etc.

Ditch any of the common "soaps" from the supermarket such as Dial.  They tend to produce that effect you mentioned of drying out the skin too much and causing the body to overcompensate.  Maybe Dove.

Embrace the tallow and other natural oil soaps that this forum supports.  Such as the black soap above, but again, you may need to try a number of different products to find the one that works for you: tallow, olive oil, or other natural oil based soaps.  Olive oil soaps are generally crap for shaving, but decent for your skin.  

There seem to be a lot of variables in the alcohol or witch hazel based aftershaves, but simple ingredient lists will likely be better.  Aloe and calendula are two key ingredients that reduce oily, or uncomfortably dried out skin for me.  

Good luck!

Matt
Matt, i truly appreciate your response and position. I am going to look into this.

agreed with Matt.  The only way to know is to try it out.  I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread or not, but sometimes black soap will dry out my face too much.  when it does, I'll put it aside for a few weeks and use my regular bar of soap to wash my face in the shower.

let us know what works for you...

40 5,830
 06-01-2015, 06:35 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I used to have very oily skin.  It does sound counter productive to use moisturizer, but honestly moisturizing daily is the best thing I've ever done for my skin.

My understanding is that you skin is only oily because it is trying to balance out the moisture from over-drying products being used.

I have heard great things about the oil absorbing wipes/pads, but I think that a moisturizer should be something you consider as well.  It will take some time for your skin to balance out so try and find one that doesn't leave you feeling greasy.  I like Bulldog Anti Ageing and I also use their ASB, and I think Simpson's ASB is heaven sent.  My skin is in the best condition it's ever been in.  I do tend to stay away from Alcohol based products for the most part, and focus on witch hazel based products, and my B&M soaps do an amazing job of keeping my skin moist as well.

Trial and error is just about the only way.  Don't be afraid to try anything.  Even shopping at Sephora with your girl/wife is a good idea (Anthony Logistics are great products, and well as Kyovu and Kheils).  Be open to trying things and investing in it and when you find what works don't stray too far until you get you skin under control, then only branch out a bit like trying your favorite after shave or something.  At one time I didn't do anything but shave, witch hazel and simpsons.  I've even forgone shaving for a month or more just to try and reset.  It's frustrating and I feel your pain, but keep at it.  You'll find a combination that works and makes your skin feel great.

Good news is you're already using great shaving products...

18 1,182
 06-08-2015, 08:08 AM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
+1 on the Dove and Noxzema.  Cetaphil liquid is also a mild cleanser that works well.  For a "tradtional" soap that may work for you (it does for me) the Palmolive bar soap, 3 for a dollar at Dollar Tree, is an excellent value.  I use this as an all-over soap and shampoo and it greatly reduces the oiliness of my skin and hair.  Lousy as a shaving soap though.

4 194
 06-08-2015, 09:47 AM
User Info
As others have said, everyone's skin is different, so I'm sure you have a lot of trial and error in front of you. I have oily skin on my face, and my skin seems to react badly to SLS and similar detergents. What's worked well for my face is using a handmade (i.e., no SLS) tea tree and clay facial bar twice a day (once in the morning, and again at night).

0 1,047
 06-09-2015, 01:57 PM
User Info
Find cleansers that are properly PH balanced and quality hydrosols such as rose or lavender. Your skin will thank you.

46 1,102
 06-10-2015, 04:34 AM
  • Avast
  • Ex-Lurker
  • Michigan
User Info
I have extremely oily skin, and just recently discovered Just the Goods.  She has a whole line of products specifically made for oily skin that are definitely worth checking out.  They're also very cheap.

I picked up the toner and moisturizer and they have worked very well for me.  I use them both twice a day, morning and night.  I may also pick up the oil blotting wipes for mid-day use, and I will for sure be picking up the face wash once my big jar of CeraVe runs out.

0 5
 06-10-2015, 03:50 PM
User Info
(06-10-2015, 04:34 AM)Avast Wrote: I have extremely oily skin, and just recently discovered Just the Goods.  She has a whole line of products specifically made for oily skin that are definitely worth checking out.  They're also very cheap.

I picked up the toner and moisturizer and they have worked very well for me.  I use them both twice a day, morning and night.  I may also pick up the oil blotting wipes for mid-day use, and I will for sure be picking up the face wash once my big jar of CeraVe runs out.
Now see, that is kind of what i want to avoid, the worrying about it part in the middle of the day. When I'm working or out and about, i always have to wipe my face, because i end up getting that oily feeling, and I'll check in the mirror, and I'm shining like a diamond! Can't stand it.

I'm trying a few things as we speak. I'm hoping something will work soon, but this is a process that will be lasting for sometime, due to trial and error.

1 1,975
 06-11-2015, 04:04 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-29-2015, 09:37 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote: I'll have to find out other options, or do the illogical thing and get oil to remove oil.

Not necessarily illogical.  True soaps are made from fats, saponified by bases such as sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide, and the soaps are used to reduce surface tension of water in order to remove oil from one’s face and body.

To add to everyone else’s suggestions here, I’ll add my 2¢.  Once daily, I wash my face with an exfoliating scrub, St. Ives Fresh Apricot Scrub, which I do not use on any other part of my body.  It contains corn meal, which, if you do much cooking, you know as an oil absorbant.  I wash my face more than once daily; the other washes are with Neutrogana Facial Cleansing Bar, Fragrance Free.  Works for me; maybe it could work for you.

As for moisturizing soaps, I am a big fan of soaps that have one or both of two ingredients: goat’s milk -- Canus is the most widely distributed brand, but Mystic Water (Michelle Burns) makes a better bar (link here); and, as others have mentioned, shea butter, found in, e.g.,  Olivina Cypress & Fir, which is a very nice hard-milled bath soap. (But nothing is nicer than Mystic Water Goat Milk soap.   Wave1  )

0 1,032
 04-20-2017, 10:33 AM
User Info
I have had oily skin for most of my life, so I have tried pretty much every face wash on the market.
The only one that I have found that works for more than a hour or two is Dermalogica. I use the precleanse and the dermal clay cleanser. This combination keeps my face oil free for most of the day.
I have also found out that AS balms make my face more oily, I don't use them.

0 37
 04-20-2017, 04:44 PM
User Info
A zombie thread?  

Would be kind of cool to see how the OP ended up though.  

I've had oily skin since puberty.  In Wyo. and the deserts in SW no problem whatsoever.  In the PNW, yea, big deal.  Also things change with age.  Use to be able to use moisturising soaps, now anything that is moisturising is like smearing pure axle grease on my skin.  Horribly uncomfortable and takes days to recover, neutral is key.  MdC for instance some love a few say is drying.  That's a signal to me it's probably neutral, same with Williams.  Splash with Sensitive Skin Sea Breeze and leave it at that.  Clean comfortable, neutral.

Really, everyone will have to find their own solutions.

1 81
 04-25-2017, 06:24 AM
User Info
I have the same problem, used to shine like christmas tree, literally
Now I use Bulldog skincare products, they have ones for oily skin and also wash my face with exfoliating soap on raw goat milk
here is discount http://nutritionsguru.com/ I bought there that bulldog things
there are also african black soap if goat milk one won't do for you

0 1