05-30-2015, 09:23 AM
User Info
I received this DE in trade awhile back and forgot what the heck it isSmile I know nothing about 3 piece razors and haven't had much luck looking around. Obviously the handle was painted at some point. The head is in good shape, doesn't seem too old.

Any help is much appreciated!

[Image: 97365a45e6e1ff720487a13fbe4bd8a8.jpg][Image: 72f9e811c617986e7b9274cc464c47fc.jpg]

55 923
 05-30-2015, 10:06 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
It is a Gillette new oc...you can check out old razors on a site...I think called MrRazor....I,ll double check and edit if necessary....Mr-Razor.com and also check out Razor Emporium

6 2,028
 05-30-2015, 10:13 AM
User Info
The handle looks similar to this '38-41 Tech over at Mr Razor, but the head is obviously not the same... still, that gives a time frame. If there is a date mark on the head it would probably help narrowing down further.

3 4,511
 05-30-2015, 10:16 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
yah I double checked ...head is Gillette The New 1929 and handle from 1938 The Tech....it has been painted

6 2,028
 05-30-2015, 10:37 AM
User Info
Cool, thanks guys! I'll check out Mr Razor too going forward. Can't believe the head is that old, maybe it was a replate or something.

Again, many thanks.

55 923
 05-30-2015, 10:21 PM
User Info
Looks like a Gillette NEW LC (long-comb) head with a painted handle from a Gillette Fat-Handle Tech.

17 112
 05-31-2015, 05:23 AM
  • TADIII
  • Gilletter from Home
  • FL & NC
User Info
USA NEW head from after 1932 merger patent reissue.  I like to think of the NEW head with the Tech Fat Handle as the original frankenrazor!  (Although, in England, this was an available configuration.)

16 91
 05-31-2015, 10:07 PM
User Info
The New and New re-issues tended to have the old style ball handles or the "bar" handle.  The balls have a tendency to develop upper and lower cracks since they are essentially a brass tube with the ball and ferrule press fit to the tube.  The bar handles had a tendency to get upper cracks as they are a thin tube with the threaded ferrule press fit.

Alot of these get frankenrazored to the Tech handles which are built for war. Smile aka- you can't kill one.

That New appears to be nickel plated which is much harder to find than the straight brass ones.

Tech handles did come in black though.

[Image: 1938-1941%20black%20handle%20Gold%20Tech.JPG]

Your handle should be able to be polished on the end to bright brass, but it might look funky with the nickel head.

You could also have that handle refinished nicely in all black.

The New is a great razor though.

20 108
 06-01-2015, 11:52 AM
User Info
(05-31-2015, 10:07 PM)DeltaEcho Wrote: The New and New re-issues tended to have the old style ball handles or the "bar" handle.  The balls have a tendency to develop upper and lower cracks since they are essentially a brass tube with the ball and ferrule press fit to the tube.  The bar handles had a tendency to get upper cracks as they are a thin tube with the threaded ferrule press fit.

Alot of these get frankenrazored to the Tech handles which are built for war. Smile aka- you can't kill one.

That New appears to be nickel plated which is much harder to find than the straight brass ones.

[Image: 1938-1941%20black%20handle%20Gold%20Tech.JPG]

Your handle should be able to be polished on the end to bright brass, but it might look funky with the nickel head.

to my knowledge there is no such thing as a straight brass NEW. The gold ones were gold plated.  straight brassI is seen in razors in which the plating either wore off or was polished off.

2 1,463
 06-01-2015, 08:38 PM
User Info
(06-01-2015, 11:52 AM)kingfisher Wrote:
(05-31-2015, 10:07 PM)DeltaEcho Wrote: The New and New re-issues tended to have the old style ball handles or the "bar" handle.  The balls have a tendency to develop upper and lower cracks since they are essentially a brass tube with the ball and ferrule press fit to the tube.  The bar handles had a tendency to get upper cracks as they are a thin tube with the threaded ferrule press fit.

to my knowledge there is no such thing as a straight brass NEW. The gold ones were gold plated.  straight brassI is seen in razors in which the plating either wore off or was polished off.

True, but with the brass polished and sealed they look exactly the same as when they were gold plated.  So yes, technically they were gold plated.  All in all if anything left something to be desired in the Gilllette world it's the thickness of their gold plate, especially on razor caps.   To your point they technically are not straight brass. 

So that the technicality Gods aren't offended allow me to restate what I said:

The nickel plated News are far harder to find than the GOLD plated ones.  While both these razors are technically brass under the plating.  The nickel will wear far better but is not gold in color.  So with regards to ease of locating brass/previously gold plated ones are easier to find.

You can still find some with the gold more or less intact, but most have worn through at least somewhere.

Oh and in the case of the plating being lost only the baseplate comes down to brass first, the caps are copper plated under the very thin gold plating.  I do not however know why even the brass caps were copper plated first while the bases weren't.

*Correction - Just went through the 14 News have sitting here (9 all have some plating loss) - some of the caps are copper under the gold and some are straight to brass under the gold.  Perhaps someone will know why the variance exists but I don't.

20 108