06-15-2012, 07:49 PM
User Info
Oh well, I like having 5 o'clock shadow fades anyways. I like shaving my neck only anyways. Less thing to worry about and I use less cream Wink. I guess the 6 or so years not shaving, has caused my face to become ultra sensitive...no matter what method I use to shave. And pre-shave oil just makes it that much harder.

It took 8 passes to get my face semi-smooth....but I paid a price. Cuts along my cheeks and my chin really dried out. I used a combination of four different aftershaves. I finished all my Truefitt & Hill aftershave samples except for 1805 within the past 24 hours and my face is still dry and puffy.

This means now that I've got a good excuse to get a straight razor shave at AOS or Truefitt & HillBiggrin

0 128
 06-15-2012, 08:12 PM
User Info
You had me worried with that subject line.Wink

Buy if it means anything... I think you should get a pro str8 shave!

32 6,311
 06-15-2012, 08:17 PM
User Info
(06-15-2012, 08:12 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: You had me worried with that subject line.Wink

Buy if it means anything... I think you should get a pro str8 shave!

If only I had a pro straight razor shave money! Ugh. I wonder why billionaires aren't getting shaved every week? They're missing out on good stuff.

0 128
 06-15-2012, 08:40 PM
User Info
Patience, technique, patience, diligence, patience.

Don't push yourself, give your face time to heal, and give us more ideas on what you're doing that isn't working and maybe we can point you into some other directions that may prove more rewarding.

31 7,914
 06-15-2012, 09:19 PM
User Info
+1 what SS wrote!

I think I'm beginning to understand.

Tell us more let us help.

32 6,311
 06-15-2012, 09:31 PM
User Info
(06-15-2012, 08:40 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Patience, technique, patience, diligence, patience.

Don't push yourself, give your face time to heal, and give us more ideas on what you're doing that isn't working and maybe we can point you into some other directions that may prove more rewarding.

+1

75 20,883
 06-16-2012, 05:34 AM
User Info
There's something going wrong with your technique if it takes you 8 passes to get shaved. Nobody's beard is that tough. We need more information such as what razor and blade combo are you using, etc...

0 372
 06-16-2012, 08:44 AM
User Info
All I'm using my merkrur HD with derby blade and the new proraso cream. Trying to shave this beard is like trying to cut through layers of copper.

When shaving my neck, it's 3 passes with the grain and 2 against the grain, plus touch ups on those rough spots. This my usual technique. On my face, it's a different problem. I need more passes than usual.

Not all of us have perfect stubble, where we can shave everything and get a good shave in 2 passes.

0 128
 06-16-2012, 08:58 AM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
Hello there. I understand a thing or two about sensitive skin. As I have mentioned before I have a mild case of rosacea and very dry skin, and my face used to light up like a Christmas Tree, after physical activity, stress, sun exposure, alcohol consumption, etc. I have been wet shaving for approximately 4 months and have noticed a considerable improvement in the condition of my skin, as compared to when I was using the multi-bladed razors. My routine is as follows:

1) always shave after the shower, it helps soften the hair and causes less irritation;
2)I then proceed to apply some pre-shave oil, which is usually a couple of drops of good quality olive oil. I let the oil get absorbed into the skin, for 3-4 minutes;
3) I then apply a hot towel to my face, and repeat this step two or three times;
4) I lather up with a quality cream, one that has very little alcohol. You should know that alcohol drys the skin and is an irritant, along with products containing eucalyptus and witch hazel. Look for products based with natural oils and glycerin, versus alcohol.
5) Subsequently, I do the normal three passes, WTG, XTG and ATG. My face comes out smother than a baby's skin, and without any of that red irritation;
6) Finally, I finish off with Seabuckthorn Oil as a balm. This is amazing, not only does it soothe the skin after shaving but it also heals it. There is a lot of information on the internet concerning Seabuckthorn oil and soap and the benefits of use; it is an antioxidant, it is used in the healing of the skin of burn victims and has also been endorsed by celebrity doctors.

My last bit of advice is stay away from after shave. All after shaves and colognes have alcohol, which trigger irritation, especially after shaving when the skin is in its most sensitive state. And don't forget the Seabuckthorn, it worked for me.

I would also evaluate the use of different blades and DE razors. This is all trial and error on your part, until you find the ideal combination.
Good luck and Happy Shaving. Sam.

0 108
 06-16-2012, 09:17 AM
User Info
I don't necessarily agree with much of what was said above, but much of that is a YMMV thing.

What I will say is to throw away the Derby blade and try some others. Derbys tear me up worse than almost any other DE blade. I honestly don't see how anyone can shave with them, but plenty of people really like them. I'd say find something like a Voskhod, Rapira, Gillette Yellow, Astra SP, or something else that others may suggest. Derby, for me was worse than using electrics and probably worse than if I tried to shave with a dull axe.

(06-16-2012, 08:58 AM)Notary Wrote: My last bit of advice is stay away from after shave. All after shaves and colognes have alcohol, which trigger irritation, especially after shaving when the skin is in its most sensitive state. And don't forget the Seabuckthorn, it worked for me.

Not true. There are plenty of After shaves that are alcohol free, especially balms. Most splashes do contain alcohol and many people really like and benefit from an alcohol based aftershave

(06-16-2012, 08:58 AM)Notary Wrote: I would also evaluate the use of different blades and DE razors. This is all trial and error on your part, until you find the ideal combination.

Now this I agree completely with!

31 7,914
 06-16-2012, 09:59 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-15-2012, 08:40 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Patience, technique, patience, diligence, patience.

+1

When I returned to traditional wetshaving (after 25 years of hating shaving, mainly due to sensitive skin, extremely poor shaving technique, etc) I begun by shaving every 48 hours and with 2 passes (1st pass - WTG, 2nd pass XTG). My shaves were fair from perfect, but I kept telling myself I was learning a new skill (which takes time to master) and I needed to have patience while doing so...

As my technique and confidence improved I introduced a 3rd pass - ATG.

Once I had the 3rd pass nailed down and I could see my sensitive skin (vastly) improving, I decided to go with shaving every 36 hours (3 passes).

I could now probably push it to shave every day, but for me and my sensitive skin I think shaving every 36 hours is the best option.

While building my traditional wetshaving technique and confidence I along the way discovered the importance of having a solid pre-shave routine (prepared the beard for shaving) and post-shave routine (replenish the skin from the stresses of shaving). Those routines changed while I experimented with different products, etc until I finally settled on what works best for me.

Good luck Thumbup

23 1,872
 06-16-2012, 10:15 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
Couldn't agree with Mike more. Experimentation and honing of skill. Two vital ingredients; with mucho patience. Stick with it.

I found that menthol & citrus are not so good for my skin, so I avoid them, and it's worth road-testing a few different kinds of blades until you find what suits you. FWIW I prefer 'platinum' blades.

Good luck.

1 290
 06-16-2012, 10:37 AM
User Info
I had similar issues so I went the easiest way possible.
1) Don't wash your face with hot water, it dries your skin and washes away the natural oils.
2) Don't use hot water period.
3) Skip the pre-shave routine. No oil, lotion, cream, hot towel, etc.. See #1
4) No matter what, never go beyond 3 passes, if you need to, buy a new razor.
5) Use pleny of slick cream.
6) Don't rinse between passes, only rub your face with wet hands.
7) Rinse with slightly cool water.
8) Use an after shave known for it's healing properties. Alt Innsbruck is my healer.
9) Use a balm to rehydrate your skin. Pre De Provence and Proraso are mine.
10) Let your skin heal if you have a bad shave.

Have you looked at the ingredients of the products you are using? You could have an issue with a certain ingredient as well. Like I said, I had issues as well, so rather than using more products, I eliminated all that I could. I changed from hot water and warm lather to somewhat cool water and cool lather. I also made it my rule to stop shaving after 3 passes.

You'll get tons of advice, but just keep it as simple as possible until you can zero in on the problem. Good luck.

9 451
 06-16-2012, 11:21 AM
User Info
straight razors are your BEST bet for sensitive skin IMO

0 31
 06-16-2012, 11:58 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Lots of good info above.
I cannot shave with a Derby either. Always irritation and weepers.
A sharper, smoother blade should help you IMO. Your razor is middle of the road aggressive so it should be fine. There are many other to try if needed, many less aggressive and many that are more.
No more than 2 passes until your technique is perfected and none ATG. One WTG and XTG and with a good blade, razor and technique, you should be getting DFS's...likely not BBS but acceptable if everything is on. Add a second XTG and then change that last XTG to an ATG if you can and then touch ups. Learn about blade buffing and J hooking for touch ups.

Good preshave to soften and prep. Many pre shaves to try as well as Mr. Glo and other glycerin based soaps as well as glycerin based Skin Foods and even pure vegetable glycerin.

Cool water only. No alcohol at any point. No eucalyptus,menthol, citrus or any other potential irritant.
Bowl lather to begin with and use a soft brush to apply the lather. Take any irritant out of the equation.
No skin pulling. Find your angle. Rinse with cold water, and follow with a pat dry and balms or moisturizers. Let your face heal. No further shaving until it does so. You can perpetuate healing with balms, witch hazel distillate, (no alcohol in the distillate) shea butter. the above mentioned sea buckthorn oil,rose water, etc.
Ice is a potent anti inflammatory. You can use an ice cube or ice in a Dixie cup and just peal away parts of the cup to keep using the ice every chance you get. Sounds wacky but it's used for injuries to reduce inflammation and there is a special ice machine in hospitals to be used after joint surgery, etc.

There are a lot of variables and tons of thing left for you to try and to perfect before you throw in the towel. Lastly, you may be a candidate for Method Shaving. Biggrin

Keep at it and good luck!

6 905
 06-16-2012, 07:38 PM
User Info
(06-16-2012, 09:17 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: I don't necessarily agree with much of what was said above, but much of that is a YMMV thing.

What I will say is to throw away the Derby blade and try some others. Derbys tear me up worse than almost any other DE blade. I honestly don't see how anyone can shave with them, but plenty of people really like them. I'd say find something like a Voskhod, Rapira, Gillette Yellow, Astra SP, or something else that others may suggest. Derby, for me was worse than using electrics and probably worse than if I tried to shave with a dull axe.

(06-16-2012, 08:58 AM)Notary Wrote: My last bit of advice is stay away from after shave. All after shaves and colognes have alcohol, which trigger irritation, especially after shaving when the skin is in its most sensitive state. And don't forget the Seabuckthorn, it worked for me.

Not true. There are plenty of After shaves that are alcohol free, especially balms. Most splashes do contain alcohol and many people really like and benefit from an alcohol based aftershave

(06-16-2012, 08:58 AM)Notary Wrote: I would also evaluate the use of different blades and DE razors. This is all trial and error on your part, until you find the ideal combination.

I used Feathers in the past before and boy, did I EVER get taught a lesson. I should've just kicked a male Lion square in the nuts, because that's what using Feather blades very aggressively and very fast basically was like. Derby's are okay if I don't shave with them everyday. If I do, they suck for me. I have to change my blade rotation around. My beard doesn't like the same blade being used more than 2x. I'm sort of attached to my Merkur, it's like your first car, I get this sentimental value with it. I can't just throw $80 on other Merkur razors, even though I've always wanted to try the Futur.

I've tried all the major brand blades except for Iridium and the purple and black Gillette blades. My face has healed up now, but it's still a little dry. Time for more aftershave!Biggrin

0 128
 06-16-2012, 08:36 PM
User Info
I don't think a Futur will be the answer to your problem, but if you want to give one a try you can borrow mine. I would loan you my slant, but my spare is having a new handle made. I honestly think a slant may be your best option. They remove hair very smoothly and if you need more than 3 passes to have a DFS, you may as well go caveman. LOL

Derby blades chew me up and I have no idea what happened to Feather because their blades have been crap lately. The Personna and Astra blades are great, as are Crystals.

HD's are mildy aggressive and if you seriously did 8 passes I'd blame the blade you were using. Do you have coarse hair? Dense? If so, I'd point you towards either a SE or a slant.

Like I said, if you want to give a Futur a try you can try mine. I seriously doubt it will help, but you're welcome to gash, I mean, give it a try. Just pick any chunks of flesh out before you send it back. LOL

9 451
 06-16-2012, 10:39 PM
User Info
(06-16-2012, 07:38 PM)JonJones84 Wrote:
(06-16-2012, 09:17 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: I don't necessarily agree with much of what was said above, but much of that is a YMMV thing.

I used Feathers in the past before and boy, did I EVER get taught a lesson. I should've just kicked a male Lion square in the nuts, because that's what using Feather blades very aggressively and very fast basically was like. Derby's are okay if I don't shave with them everyday. If I do, they suck for me. I have to change my blade rotation around. My beard doesn't like the same blade being used more than 2x. I'm sort of attached to my Merkur, it's like your first car, I get this sentimental value with it. I can't just throw $80 on other Merkur razors, even though I've always wanted to try the Futur.

I've tried all the major brand blades except for Iridium and the purple and black Gillette blades. My face has healed up now, but it's still a little dry. Time for more aftershave!Biggrin

I also have sensitive skin. Maybe not as sensitive as yours but it still causes me issues. That is why I got into traditional shaving in the first place.

On the subject of blades, please read this thoroughly to see what current production blades might be an potential alternative for you.

https://sites.google.com/site/gdcarringt...allenge-ii

Good fortune with your shaves.

1 2,827
 06-17-2012, 07:31 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(06-16-2012, 08:36 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: Like I said, if you want to give a Futur a try you can try mine. I seriously doubt it will help, but you're welcome to gash, I mean, give it a try. Just pick any chunks of flesh out before you send it back. LOL

I have no idea how the Futur got a reputation as an aggressive razor. It isn't. It is adjustable for goodness sake. Yes, it is aggressive when cranked up but it is also quite mild on the low settings...milder than an HD.

45 16,361
 06-17-2012, 07:35 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(06-17-2012, 07:31 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I have no idea how the Futur got a reputation as an aggressive razor. It isn't. It is adjustable for goodness sake. Yes, it is aggressive when cranked up but it is also quite mild on the low settings...milder than an HD.

I cut myself more loading and unloading the blade than I ever did shaving with the Futur.

116 3,804