06-15-2012, 08:14 PM
User Info
When CFM is selling it of course. I would love to know who paid such an obscene amount of money for an such an average and readily available razor. Something so senseless deserves public ridicule.

This is exactly the reason I avoid ebay. Morons with too much money trying to one-up the bidder above them. Don't they understand that these prices are used as a benchmark by other dealers, both online and antique shops that use ebay as a pricing guide? And to think, I gave away a very nice Slim just a few weeks ago. Aren't I the fool.

I really wish I hadn't seen that, I just stumbled over it while looking around. Of course I had to stay and watch, it was like a car crash in slow motion. LOL

/RANT

10 451
 06-15-2012, 09:10 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have spoken to CFM and his wife and they really do present the razors in the best way..sometime they include cases or blades and they sell on consignment so the people who send them razors usually get more than they could do themselves....they are professional and extremely good in their descriptions...if fact I always look at their stuff first and they are the only vendor I have marked as "favorite sellers" on the Bay. If you as a buyer are looking for a specific razor usually in the best used condition there is nobody better...you pay a premium but you save time and get what you want.As for the price ..it is like Vegas..hot stuff presented in the best way gets the best price...too high for some but not for others...the way the game is played. Remember this is what they do ...not a hobby..they make a living selling on consignment top dollar for everyone concerned....if price is an object go look at 1500 to 3000 safety razors to find what you want and take your chances....that is what I do and I have wonderful perfect razors 98% of the time (win some/Lose some) but it takes time ...for me it is a hobby.I look under specific brands or under safety razors ( collectibles)

6 2,102
 06-15-2012, 09:18 PM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
Photography isn't as easy as it seems.

5 270
 06-16-2012, 04:11 AM
User Info
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the buyer thought the Slim was a beauty.

32 1,750
 06-16-2012, 04:33 AM
User Info
i think the NOS is what get's people sucked in. it's not TSN and BB and other forum members buying, it's the unaware.

the NOS is for the blade, and putting that in the title is deceptive and deceitful and down right wrong.

i just picked up a MINT, i mean MINT slim for $5. looks as good or better then theirs, so they are out there and it's not a replate, and original.

8 2,718
 06-16-2012, 06:29 AM
User Info
There's a sucker born every minute. old saying but true. Oh the short answer is never. I mean it's not a red ring for heavens sakes

2 806
 06-16-2012, 06:29 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(06-15-2012, 09:18 PM)xraygun Wrote: Photography isn't as easy as it seems.

Very true! That is why I now entrust Teiste for my photographs. Cool

48 20,062
 06-16-2012, 07:35 AM
User Info
I'm not saying anything about CFM, he does excellent work, cleaning and presenting these razors. My point was the people spending an absolutely obscene amount of money on common razors. This impacts prices everywhere.

For example, you find a cased Slim and go to worthpoint to see how much one has recently sold for and you set your price accordingly. Not all antique shops do this, but some do and many online sellers use sites like worthpoint to get an idea of what their item is worth.

If you have the money, spend it as you like, but for the love of God try to be rational.

10 451
 06-16-2012, 08:13 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
You realize that the bidding sets the prices...they start at .99cents and it is the way they are presented,the package (case,blades and original papers etc.) that make it collectible. Personally I have only bought a couple of my razors from them ...the rest from other vendors....I have the time and I don,t like to gamble..but some people get a kick out it.For online E-bay vendors CFM is one end of the spectrum. What is good about them is that at some point you want to dump your collection they will handle everything and they don,t take that much percentage and you get more money than having a garage sale or somethng like that. For what they do they are very good...everybody wins. Just my opinion mind you.

6 2,102
 06-16-2012, 11:06 AM
User Info
(06-16-2012, 08:13 AM)Harvey Wrote: You realize that the bidding sets the prices...they start at .99cents and it is the way they are presented,the package (case,blades and original papers etc.) that make it collectible. Personally I have only bought a couple of my razors from them ...the rest from other vendors....I have the time and I don,t like to gamble..but some people get a kick out it.For online E-bay vendors CFM is one end of the spectrum. What is good about them is that at some point you want to dump your collection they will handle everything and they don,t take that much percentage and you get more money than having a garage sale or somethng like that. For what they do they are very good...everybody wins. Just my opinion mind you.

Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with CFM, it's about the people who pay ungodly amounts of money on common razors. Other sellers use those prices as a pricing guide, as do antique shops. Worthpoint keeps track of those sales and all you need to do is search for the item you're trying to sell to get the price.

I'm sure everyone who goes hunting in the wild has come across a razor priced very high. You can even see the results in many BIN sales. I seen a Hoffritz travel razor listed at $289. I paid $20 for mine and it's in better condition.

I suppose if you have a collecton that you want to sell off (your not really a collector then) you could have CFM list it. I prefer to sell my razors at a reasonable price so anyone can have the opportunity to own something nice, not just collectors with a platinum card and no good sence.

I just have an issue with upmanship and that's what the majority of these bidding war auctions are. Plus it drives the prices up for everyone else.

10 451
 06-16-2012, 12:28 PM
User Info
I got this slim 1966 mint with spoiler blades case directions, and 2 excellent condition se all for $31 PLUS SHIPPING http://www.ebay.com/itm/160801780995?ssP...1439.l2649 also can anyone identify the de blades ?

0 61
 06-16-2012, 01:35 PM
User Info
I can't enlarge the image to see the blades, but that's a great price for 3 razor. Looks like a Gem bullet tip and Gem push button; which are both very nice shavers. Nice score.

10 451
 06-16-2012, 01:56 PM
  • PAW
  • Wet Shaver Addict
  • Illinois
User Info
I sold my slim for $10.00 shipped.
Some people are out there just to make $$$.$$

0 197
 06-16-2012, 02:01 PM
User Info
Johnny, I agree, far too many folks have far too much money and far too little in the way of brains when they bid. I hope they have the excuse of "getting caught up in the bidding". But still...

To answer your question, IMO, never.

Rabid, I never shaved with a Pushbutton, but the Flying Wing Gem (bullet tip) and the Slim are fantastic razors. You got them for a great price.

32 6,524
 06-16-2012, 02:08 PM
User Info
(06-16-2012, 11:06 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with CFM, it's about the people who pay ungodly amounts of money on common razors.

That one sentence sums it all up perfectly. Such ridiculous behavior is about a pi**ing match between two bidders, with the razor merely focal point for the battle. I have seen such behavior before in real life, although it did not involve razors. It typically involves two control freaks, both of whom cannot accept anyone getting the better of them ever. My guess is that this is what is happening when extreme overbidding occurs.

Often the condition of the razor and how it is presented is completely irrelevant. In the overall scheme of things, a razor, no matter how rare or pretty, is something relatively unimportant. That is especially true for folks who already have a nice razor. For a control freak, that is exactly what makes winning the auction so important. A pet rock could serve the same purpose as the razor.

Does the above apply to everybody who greatly overbids? Probably not, but I think control issues are present in most of these situations.

Quote:Other sellers use those prices as a pricing guide, as do antique shops. Worthpoint keeps track of those sales and all you need to do is search for the item you're trying to sell to get the price.

Although this may be true in some cases, even more often it is not. Look at the non-auction prices for vintage razors. They are all over the place whenever I have checked. At a time when Slims were selling on eBay for $50-$60, I picked up one in excellent condition for $20. There were plenty of others available in the $20-$30 price range. Gillette 195 (Fatboy) prices appear to have dropped recently, as well.

Worthpoint may be used by some antique stores and sellers, but it far from being a universal and authoritative standard. There are still plenty of vintage razors in antique stores, online and at estate sales that are fine bargains.

All of the above in my humble opinion.

0 308
 06-16-2012, 02:45 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Things are worth what people are willing to pay...the market determines what something will sell for..Is a PILS shaving brush worth $325.00? (I don,t have one) Is a PILS razor worth $250.00 (I have 2)etc,etc...Let us be serious here how many of us have 1 ( ONE ) razor? 1 pack of blades and only 1 or 2 soaps,creams or brushes...we are addicted so when we MUST have a particular item ..we look...we think and we decide....This site wouldn,t be here if Gillette Fusion was the only razor available...but I have 4...I like them for my neck....big deal...try and get a Gillette Toggle razor for $50.00...cannot be done...but who really needs one....no one !!!! for some people E-bay is like wheeling and dealing...cannot do that at RiteAid or CVS...part of the fun. Most of us here know the prices of every shaving product ever created and we buy from whoever has it whenever we want it if we can do it.

6 2,102
 06-16-2012, 06:45 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Perfect example of our topic...anyone interested look on E-Bay under Hoffritz razors...CFM has one for $213.08... 23 bids..9 bidders one more day and there are 4 or 5 others from $2.99 to $25.00 more or less...amazing..stupid but check it out for a few laughsBiggrinBiggrinBiggrin

6 2,102
 06-16-2012, 10:06 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
A Slim is worth $150 when someone likes it and decides to pay that much for it. It's supply and demand, plain and simple.

It's no different than asking if Albert Pujols or A-Rod deserve to be paid $250 million for playing baseball. If someone will pay them that much, then they do--whether we like it or not.

61 861
 06-18-2012, 11:21 PM
User Info
What kills me about folks on ebay is that they will bid on an item a week before auction close. Why would you wnat to raise the price on an item you're trying to win??

11 1,236
 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM
User Info
(06-18-2012, 11:21 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: What kills me about folks on ebay is that they will bid on an item a week before auction close. Why would you wnat to raise the price on an item you're trying to win??

I've seen that far too often done by people with 400 transactions. I looked at a few of the bidders and have seen a few in the same auction with bid retractions--one guy had 3 in 6 months. I think there is a decent amout of shill bidding going on and that's what makes ebay very shady to me.

As for the "supply & demand" therory, the very simple fact that we're talking about a Slim totally voids that argument. I would agrue that a Slim is nearly as common as a Tech, both on ebay and in antique shops. It's a very common razor. In the sports world it would be a 2nd string running back, not a Tom Brady.

I obviously can't and won't argue the "whatever someone is willing to pay" comment, because that's the truth of the matter. Sadly, what that person was willing to pay was an absurd and laughable amount. But that's just my opinion.

10 451