05-31-2015, 11:13 AM
User Info
     I have read so many positive things about these Muhle razors that I decided to give them a try. I purchased the heads from shaving.ie.com for about $42 shipped to the USA. I used handles I picked up on Ebay labled Scotch and Stowe. These are heavy stainless steel handles that resemble the Maggard MR5. Total cost was under $40 per razor.
     I shaved with the R89 first as it was a 5am shave before work and I thought I was too sleepy to tackle the R41. I loaded it up with an Astra SP. I lathered up and proceded to shave. Very smooth comfortable shave. No nicks of any kind. After two passes I achieved a very close shave and off to work I went. It wasn't BBS, but very close considering how little time was spent. A great razor for my early morning shave when my concentration is lacking. Very happy.
     I skipped my morning shave the next day and tried out the R41 that evening with about 36 hours of growth. I again used an Astra Sp and lathered up. I did a very slow, careful 2 pass shave. I really took my time and used very light pressure. I immerged with several weepers and one scrape. The shave was smooth and painless, but a bit bloody. I never felt myself being cut. There was no razor burn.
     You might think I'd be put off by this result. However, I also recieved the closest shave of my life. Truly BBS. I rarely achieve that result. The next day I awoke, eager to shave. Sadly, there was no stuble to be found. Nothing to shave! My beard grows quickly and is darkly colored on fair skin and is usually quite noticable in the morning. I love the R41!! Clearly, my technique needs work, but what a shave!. I'll get it down in time. This thing is truly unique among the dozen or so DE razors I've tried. Very Impressed.

0 5
 06-08-2015, 06:26 AM
User Info
Just an update. I now manage nick free bbs shaves with my r41. It just took a little adjustment to my technique. I only use it when i can really take my time. The only downside, it shaves so close i don't need to shave the next day.
The r89 is great when im shaving at 5 am and am half asleep. It provides a nice shave with minimal effort. You'd have to try and cut yourself with this one.

0 5
 06-08-2015, 06:38 AM
User Info
Good for you!

32 6,460
 06-08-2015, 07:20 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Good stuff- I agree and find the Muhle/EJ heads to be solid all round performers. Well done!

2 1,180
 06-08-2015, 08:35 AM
User Info
IMHO the r41 is the best razor to be had. I've also found  (I'm not trying to tell you something to get you hurt here) the r 41 loves a more aggressive blade. Feathers and polsilvers are both excellent in it.

The more you use your r41 the more you will love it. If you want to shave more with it just do a a 2 pass shave or even a 1 pass shave lol. Seriously I've been in a pretty big hurry and only did a one pass shave and while it wasn't smooth I looked fine so I was good to go.

3 1,356
 06-08-2015, 09:04 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yes, the Muhle R41 2013 version that u have is the closest shaving DE that I own. As you say you do have to take your time and concentrate on your technique. Glad you are enjoying using it.

I do have a Merkur slant that will shave within a hair's breadth of the Muhle R41, for me, but is much more forgiving and quicker to use. You might want to try one of those if you come down with RAD or just for S&Gs.

Bob

0 1,694
 06-08-2015, 11:21 AM
User Info
Thanks. A slant will be my next purchase.

0 5
 06-20-2015, 02:53 PM
User Info
the Mühle R41 is a wonderful razor. I have two -- a regular and a "twist". The Mühle R41 twist is about the same size as the R41 Grande, but weighs a few grams more. Terrific shaves from both. Great care must be taken, but the rewards are more than worth it.

Some other beast razors I enjoy are the iKon standard bar razor, the Merkur 37C & 39C, and FaTips. I hear that the ATT H plates are wicked good too, but I've yet to try one. iKon has two new ShaveCraft models out -- and their ShaveCraft Tech is reputed to be a "beast" contender. Shaving with the "bad boys" is just more fun, I think.

I still like a milder razor too, occasionally -- my iKon OSS sees a fair amount of use.
Euro

5 395
 06-20-2015, 03:18 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(06-20-2015, 02:53 PM)opsimath Wrote: the Mühle R41 is a wonderful razor. I have two -- a regular and a "twist". The Mühle R41 twist is about the same size as the R41 Grande, but weighs a few grams more. Terrific shaves from both. Great care must be taken, but the rewards are more than worth it.

Some other beast razors I enjoy are the iKon standard bar razor, the Merkur 37C & 39C, and FaTips. I hear that the ATT H plates are wicked good too, but I've yet to try one. iKon has two new ShaveCraft models out -- and their ShaveCraft Tech is reputed to be a "beast" contender. Shaving with the "bad boys" is just more fun, I think.

I still like a milder razor too, occasionally -- my iKon OSS sees a fair amount of use.
Euro

I actually just got the ATT OC set today as an early B-day present and looking forward to giving it a go tomorrow morning. Will definitely chime in as to how it compares to the R41 (which I too really enjoy and in fact used this morning with a Weber handle).

Another razor that you mentioned that I absolutely think is a great razor is the FaTip. Not much to look at which will throw many off but one of my favorites. A bargain at the price and I always get great results. For some that want more hat and less cattle the swirl marks etc. may throw them off but if you can get past the finish, I love it like the scruffy mutt it is...

2 1,180
 06-20-2015, 03:26 PM
User Info
I enjoy feeling an efficient cutter on my face. The Fatip, and others to a degree have the disadvantage of lesser solid clamping of the blade. I feel it going against the grain on the "fools pass". Needs a firmer razor to avoid some skipping. Well, it can be done but not quickly and as secure as with other razors like an SE or a Feather D 2.  Will not give up on my Fatip nor R41 though. They are addictive, and I see I do like variety in my shaves

21 1,175
 06-21-2015, 05:49 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(06-20-2015, 03:26 PM)Bibbelmann Wrote: I enjoy feeling an efficient cutter on my face. The Fatip, and others to a degree have the disadvantage of lesser solid clamping of the blade. I feel it going against the grain on the "fools pass". Needs a firmer razor to avoid some skipping. Well, it can be done but not quickly and as secure as with other razors like an SE or a Feather D 2.  Will not give up on my Fatip nor R41 though. They are addictive, and I see I do like variety in my shaves

Great point Philipp, I do think based on reports that with lower end finish work you are more likely to get variances. My particular example has great blade alignment and offers up a close, comfortable shave. YMMV!

2 1,180
 06-21-2015, 06:57 AM
User Info
(06-08-2015, 11:21 AM)louiereck Wrote: Thanks. A slant will be my next purchase.

Just a suggestion. You might want to try a Shavecraft 102 slant. Not too expensive and really does the job yet smooth as silk.

121 13,127
 06-21-2015, 08:08 AM
User Info
Slants are great razors however IMHO once you go r41 and you get good with it any other razor just might not do it for you,IF you are going by aggressiveness alone.

3 1,356