05-31-2015, 04:38 PM
User Info
Hello all. First post at The Shave Nook. Great site, and thanks for the welcome on the introduction page.

Question. Where do you draw the line to determine what is/isn't a "croap" and when to load directly from the tub, or pluck a pea size out and (I guess) lather in a bowl instead. Normally I prefer to load my brush and face lather... Just in a quandary, and don't want to ruin a whole tub of ABC "cream" by loading directly from the tub, in error, with a wet/damp brush.

Creams are obviously easy to determine what to do with them, as are hard soaps. "Croap" type products have me stumped; but maybe I'm just over-thinking this whole thing... as per usual.

Thanks Gents.

0 10
 05-31-2015, 04:42 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
With croaps I load directly from the jar with my brush same way as a hard soap I just don't apply as much pressure otherwise you will pick up a lot more soap than you need. 

23 598
 05-31-2015, 05:09 PM
User Info
(05-31-2015, 04:42 PM)sch1989 Wrote: With croaps I load directly from the jar with my brush same way as a hard soap I just don't apply as much pressure otherwise you will pick up a lot more soap than you need. 
Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

So what helps you decide (when you get in this grey area of cream/soap) to load directly from the tub instead of scooping some out. 

0 10
 05-31-2015, 06:09 PM
User Info
I have always thought that creams were labelled as creams and everything else was 'soap' with some being softer or harder than others. With creams you can transfer a small amount to a bowl or directly onto your face. With the others, you can just load them directly with your brush and apply the appropriate pressure to load your brush depending on their consistency.  

83 21,077
 05-31-2015, 06:30 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
(05-31-2015, 05:09 PM)chowder Wrote:
(05-31-2015, 04:42 PM)sch1989 Wrote: With croaps I load directly from the jar with my brush same way as a hard soap I just don't apply as much pressure otherwise you will pick up a lot more soap than you need. 
Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

So what helps you decide (when you get in this grey area of cream/soap) to load directly from the tub instead of scooping some out. 

By the touch if I touch it and it's like a cream where it instantly comes out of the jar onto my finger than I scoop out. Otherwise everything I Load in the jar. The softest I've seen is caties bubbles and strop shoppe both of those I Load in the jar. Hope this helps. 

23 598
 05-31-2015, 07:05 PM
User Info
(05-31-2015, 06:30 PM)sch1989 Wrote:
(05-31-2015, 05:09 PM)chowder Wrote:
Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

By the touch if I touch it and it's like a cream where it instantly comes out of the jar onto my finger than I scoop out. Otherwise everything I Load in the jar. The softest I've seen is caties bubbles and strop shoppe both of those I Load in the jar. Hope this helps. 
Yes; absolutely helps. Great rule to follow. 

Everything I've picked up, to this point, has been a soft cream or a hard soap (nothing in the middle). Decided to get a tub of ABC 'cream' to try. When it arrived I opened it, then stood there, like a cat finally catching a mouse, not knowing what to do with it... Ahaha! 

Thanks again.   

0 10
 05-31-2015, 08:27 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
(05-31-2015, 07:05 PM)chowder Wrote:
(05-31-2015, 06:30 PM)sch1989 Wrote:
(05-31-2015, 05:09 PM)chowder Wrote: Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

Yes; absolutely helps. Great rule to follow. 

Everything I've picked up, to this point, has been a soft cream or a hard soap (nothing in the middle). Decided to get a tub of ABC 'cream' to try. When it arrived I opened it, then stood there, like a cat finally catching a mouse, not knowing what to do with it... Ahaha! 

Thanks again.   

Haha! I hear yeah. Everything I buy is either Hard soap or croap I have one cream ADP and I'm just not a fan of creams. Always wanted to try ABC heard it's awesome enjoy !

23 598
 05-31-2015, 08:32 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I always scoop creams and this is determined by whether or not it can be scooped effortlessly.  If I have to dig into it then I load it like a soap.  All of the Italian "croaps" I have used were too firm to scoop, in my opinion, so I load the brush just like I do any other soap.  Another reason for scooping out creams is that they are so soft that a brush tends to push the cream around the pot rather than actually picking it up into the bristles.  This makes for a very messy pot of cream as more moisture is mixed in making it soupier with each use.

144 2,746
 05-31-2015, 10:45 PM
User Info
I judge based on if touching the cream will result in some of the product sticking to my finger.

The soft soap I know of is Razorock in the black UFO tubs, or Omega. It is labeled "cream soap" but is still firm enough to load out of the tub.

This issue has come up with personlly with Jabonman. It becomes so soft that when you load it moves rather than building and caking up on the bristles.

I find that you just have to let the soap air dry for a bit before capping the lid again and you will be okay with loading from the tub.

79 1,338
 06-01-2015, 04:47 PM
User Info
Thanks for the help/feedback guys. Appreciate it!

P.S.
ADP finally arrived today. Shouldn't have any problems with that... lolz!

Cheers!

0 10
 06-02-2015, 11:35 AM
User Info
The creamiest product I've used that was still labeled as a soap is Strop Shoppe LE, probably owing to the large quantities of unsaponified shea and kokum butters. It's practically a thick cream/paste, and as such you have to load it fairly delicately to get the right amount of soap on the brush.

16 1,027
 06-03-2015, 12:17 AM
User Info
Just load it like you hate it ;-)

24 5,965
 06-03-2015, 07:38 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(06-03-2015, 12:17 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Just load it like you hate it ;-)
Made me laugh!

Like others, if it ships in a tub I load directly as a general rule [I exclusively face lather]. I may wring more water out of my brush depending on how soft and also definitely use less pressure to load.

2 1,180
 06-03-2015, 11:31 AM
User Info
I won a tub of Tabula Rasa recently, and from what I read, it's right on the dividing line. Some load directly from the tub, some palm lather (I gather the latter is what the makers recommend).

I guess I'll just have to experiment for myself when it arrives.

8 915
 06-03-2015, 12:45 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(06-03-2015, 11:31 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: I won a tub of Tabula Rasa recently, and from what I read, it's right on the dividing line. Some load directly from the tub, some palm lather (I gather the latter is what the makers recommend).

I guess I'll just have to experiment for myself when it arrives.

I have TR Dark Lavender and Olibanum and I load both directly from the tub. The opening is smaller so I do use a smaller brush (no Chubby 2) but it works fine. Just adjust your pressure when loading; think of trying to load butter Smile

Notwithstanding, the TR stuff is a great performer and I have quite hard water here in Austin- hope you enjoy!

2 1,180
 06-03-2015, 04:15 PM
User Info
(06-03-2015, 07:38 AM)kwsher Wrote:
(06-03-2015, 12:17 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Just load it like you hate it ;-)
Made me laugh!

Like others, if it ships in a tub I load directly as a general rule [I exclusively face lather]. I may wring more water out of my brush depending on how soft and also definitely use less pressure to load.

The quote is stolen from Anthony Esposito, a YouTube straight shaver. A very nice Gentleman

24 5,965
 06-03-2015, 04:18 PM
User Info

This is exactly what I do. Load directly just less pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

82 2,207
 06-04-2015, 07:57 AM
User Info
The "less pressure" tip is a useful one -- thanks. I especially like the "loading butter" image.

8 915
 06-04-2015, 08:22 AM
User Info
(06-03-2015, 04:15 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Just load it like you hate it ;-)

The quote is stolen from Anthony Esposito, a YouTube straight shaver. A very nice Gentleman

It came from Michael Freedberg, and I wonder where he got it from. Awesome saying.
It may hold true for many things in life! Wink

21 1,175
 06-04-2015, 08:52 AM
User Info
I load even the soft creams from the tub. It's just much faster than when I load a soap. Smile

If you're not sure, just start off with light pressure and see if it starts coating your brush right away. If not, up the pressure a bit and load for a few seconds.

I shaved with Tabula Rasa Steampunk this morning, and used light pressure and loaded for about 5 or 6 seconds with a WSP Stubby in superfine. Got a nearly perfect amount of lather.

10 1,858