06-16-2012, 02:12 AM
  • R0B
  • The Netherlands
User Info
Hi guys,

I'm struggling with a question for a while now and I would like your help/opinion.

In the last few years, Procter & Gamble bought several producers of shaving stuff, like Art of Shaving and Baxter of California. I used to read raving reviews on the products of Art of Shaving and also Baxter was often mentioned. Nowadays, it seems these brands are almost of the map.
I know by my own experience, P&G makes it impossible to sell AoS and Baxter in my country, perhaps outside of US in general(?). In the past, there were some shops in my country selling these brands, but have been cut off since P&G took over.

Now I'm wondering if the people who started these companies are still working there? Did P&G changed the formula of the products?

Is P&G just using AoS and Baxter as cash cows and dump them when used up or I is it my imagination?

I know it's a bit of a bold statement and I'm wrong, please tell me.

0 114
 06-16-2012, 04:35 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
wow, you bring up some solid points, from a non-US shop-owner's perspective.

I have NO clue as to how P&G runs either AoS or Baxter...
I have only been traditional wet-shaving for about 1.5 years.

This is an excellent research paper for anyone familiar with AoS from before P&G. Wink

9 1,684
 06-16-2012, 05:01 AM
User Info
I have no experience with Baxter but AoS is just as good as ever (creams and soaps). The theory that they changed the formula has been debunked; they "clarified" the formula a couple of years ago (I think Mantic's site ran a post about it).

One thing I've found on these types of forums, even the clothing forums, or even sports forums, is a general cry that "things were better back then." Combine this with a general disdain of P&G and they get no quarter. But if you're interested in AoS creams or soaps, they still get almost universal praise. Personally I think the Ocean Kelp is great (except the name )

72 1,407
 06-16-2012, 06:21 AM
  • R0B
  • The Netherlands
User Info
I have nothing against P&G, ( although I don't agree with their non-export policy on some brands.)

Also I had no intention to 'bash' P&G with my post. It's just that I have the feeling that AoS is less talked about then before and I'm wondering why.

0 114
 06-16-2012, 06:55 AM
User Info
I don't think P&G owns Baxter of California. Concerning AoS, this is P&G's first foray into retail in a while and they may limiting operations to the US for a variety of reasons. They are trying to expand ther own retail presence and not kill their own efforts by having it available through every retailer. It is pretty difficult to find it from a variety of vendors (except high end department stores)in the US for less than MSRP.

2 697
 06-16-2012, 07:09 AM
  • R0B
  • The Netherlands
User Info
Well, I'm 100% sure BoC is a P&G company as they themselves confirmed it to me. I was also contacted by P&G when I applied for dealership.

I think it's a pitty AoS is not available outside the US.

So, you guys are convinced the quality of their products are still superb? That's good to hear!

0 114
 06-16-2012, 07:35 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have been using BoC creams for several years now. I was not aware P&G had bought them but have noticed the packaging of the product has changed. If the formula changes I will surely know as I have very sensative skin where I use the products.

173 23,493
 06-16-2012, 02:51 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
It would seem almost natural for P&G to acquire AOS since they own Gillette. That would cover just about all fazes of wet shaving and grooming. The AOS is a high end over priced store located in upscale malls. As far as BOC is concerned I found this on a search.

"In 2000, the brand was acquired by Jean-Pierre Mastey, who gave the brand a much needed facelift."

100 12,438
 06-17-2012, 02:06 AM
  • steve g
  • Northern California
User Info
I know before the Gillette buyout the AoS store had regular demonstrations on wet shaving, once a month stores in my area would have a demo of straight razor shaving or double edge shaving. They now have Gillette fusion demonstrations. They seem to push the fusion blades and handles now having them on prominent display. They also seem to have reduced the number of brushes that they carry and now have ridiculous powered shaving brushes. I like the creams and soap, and I hope they keep them going.

3 68