06-01-2015, 04:49 PM
User Info
Well .... I did it gents, I tried to transplant an Aremor Chubby two band knot out of my Mongoy Rustic Chubby handle (it was slightly cracked on the rim when Gustavo shipped to me, he gave a discount, all is well and his knots are still phenomenal!) ---

I got inspired by the steam removal video for removing a knot and had my beloved 27mm two band knot ready to move to a very clean vintage Rubberset handle (not the expensive metal kind) .... I did everything correctly BUT when I pulled the Aremor knot out the ends were all melted together and like mush, think total goop dripping off the tips. Like utterly & totally gone, beyond saving!

Shaving stuff is just stuff and I always tell my kids not to cry over things that can't cry over them .... But this one hurt. I took a job in Atlanta and have reprioritized spending, so my ability to replace this caliber of a brush will be a ways out ... But lesson learned. Leave the restoration to the experts, for me at least.

There you have it --- tonight I was steam punked (and not in the delicious LE TSN shave soap kind of way). Smile

Good Evening Everyone, hold your prized two bands a little more closely tonight! Wink

JB

102 1,397
 06-01-2015, 05:39 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Sorry for your loss.

Its good to hear of what doesn't work. I've always been skeptical of the steam method, much preferring the grind and drill approach!

59 1,599
 06-01-2015, 06:32 PM
User Info
Sorry to hear about your loss. I would never recommend the steaming method to extract any knot. I have had two ruined this way, but it was a good thing they were synthetics. 

82 21,077
 06-01-2015, 06:47 PM
User Info
My thought is that it's just glue that holds it together, trying to steam the epoxy to weaken it may do the same to the knot. 

It I want to salvage the knot the handle is going to sacrificed sadly. I've found the best way is with a small cheap bench grinder and slowly grind away the handle. I bought one from harbor freight for just under with $25 with an online coupon. It's a polisher as well and it's done a fine job polishing my matte finish stainless heads.

4 146
 06-02-2015, 05:15 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Sorry to hear it did not work for you. Oth on another forum a member tried the steam removal method on two brushes and was successful in shaving both the knots and handles. I guess i just depends on the glue used to hold the knot together. For sure the safest method to save the knot is to sacrifice the handle.

Bob

0 1,694
 06-02-2015, 07:04 AM
User Info
ouch thats rough :/

2 359
 06-02-2015, 08:05 AM
User Info
Yeah, not sure why I didn't just destroy the handle and save my precious Aremor two band!!! #idiotmoment

102 1,397