06-02-2015, 06:00 PM
User Info
I am letting everyone know Plisson brushes are now back in stock at L'Occitane stores. I picked one up today.

Andy

0 46
 06-02-2015, 06:39 PM
User Info
Maybe the recent stocking behavior and the hype help the selling a lot. 
I've bought one in Hong Kong three months ago while it's out of stock elsewhere. 
Nice efficient little brush for "shaving in a hurry".

2 122
 06-02-2015, 08:08 PM
User Info
I don't see it on their website. Are they exactly the same and are they at the $30 price or $60?

18 713
 06-02-2015, 11:51 PM
User Info
Do not see Plisson on their web site.

29 275
 06-03-2015, 12:19 AM
User Info
Run, run, run AWAY ;-)

24 6,018
 06-03-2015, 02:46 AM
User Info
It is not on their website. I gave the woman in the store my name and she called me.  She wasn't expecting them in. 

Andy

0 46
 06-03-2015, 02:48 AM
User Info
It was $30.00

0 46
 06-03-2015, 06:24 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I just called the store and purchased one over the phone. 

For anyone in the Nashville area, there are 2 left.

3 584
 06-03-2015, 06:27 AM
User Info
There are two opposed paths you can go: the simple way building lather with a  synthetic brush like the plisson,
Star-wars-smiley-023
or the loving  use of badger hair.
Which may be  in the end well above 25 brushes on display drying  above your sink and a choice of complementing soaps.
Choose wisely,

or do what I do-

both! Pancarta

21 1,175
 06-03-2015, 06:39 AM
User Info
The Plisson is my favorite brush period. I sold mine because of the cheap handle, intending to order one from the Plisson site with a better handle but ran into difficulties trying to order so I went with another Muhle STF. Performance is pretty much a toss up but the Plisson is ever so slightly better.

I wish loccitane would update it with a better handle.

18 713
 06-03-2015, 07:39 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(06-03-2015, 06:39 AM)fram773 Wrote: The Plisson is my favorite brush period. I sold mine because of the cheap handle, intending to order one from the Plisson site with a better handle but ran into difficulties trying to order so I went with another Muhle STF. Performance is pretty much a toss up but the Plisson is ever so slightly better.

I have a Muhle STF.  It works well for bowl lathering, but I have to press too hard on my face to get it to splay for face lathering.  I'm sure that's probably just my technique though since other people don't seem to have any problems with it.  I'm hoping the Plisson will work better for face lathering.

3 584
 06-03-2015, 07:46 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Don't see them on the US site but notice that the UK site shows them with the option to Add to Bag so may have stock. Not sure that I could share the link but Google will get you there.

2 1,180
 06-03-2015, 07:49 AM
User Info
(06-03-2015, 07:39 AM)DayMan Wrote:
(06-03-2015, 06:39 AM)fram773 Wrote: The Plisson is my favorite brush period. I sold mine because of the cheap handle, intending to order one from the Plisson site with a better handle but ran into difficulties trying to order so I went with another Muhle STF. Performance is pretty much a toss up but the Plisson is ever so slightly better.

I have a Muhle STF.  It works well for bowl lathering, but I have to press too hard on my face to get it to splay for face lathering.  I'm sure that's probably just my technique though since other people don't seem to have any problems with it.  I'm hoping the Plisson will work better for face lathering.

I face lather too. I've seen videos of people that mash their brush on their face when face lathering and that is not what I do; I go maybe half way. I would say though, the Plisson is better for face lathering than the STF. It has much finer hairs that seems to hold more water. It also doesn't have the backbone the STF has, so it splays more easily. Oh also, what size do you use? I first had the Muhle STF in 21mm and didn't find it to face lather as well as the 23mm.

18 713
 06-03-2015, 09:08 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have owned several different synthetic brushes, the Plisson is the only two that remain.  All other synthetics are too springy, the Plisson feels the closest to an actual badger brush in use, albeit a medium density, mild backbone silvertip style badger.  When I went to the Domican Republic for a week I took a Vie Long shave stick and my Plisson synthetic and the shaves were excellent, no issues whatsoever face lathering and getting the soap emulsified into the water for the lather.

149 2,821
 06-03-2015, 09:39 AM
User Info
Fantastic brush IMO, i think everyone should have one or at least try one!! i was very much against synthetics as i have always liked badger and boar but the plisson synthetic is a game changer for me.
Muhle STF is also a great synthetic brush. i will call/visit my local loccitane store and report here if they have them back in stock. last time i checked they were all gone!

14 482
 06-03-2015, 10:17 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(06-03-2015, 07:49 AM)fram773 Wrote:
(06-03-2015, 07:39 AM)DayMan Wrote:

I face lather too. I've seen videos of people that mash their brush on their face when face lathering and that is not what I do; I go maybe half way. I would say though, the Plisson is better for face lathering than the STF. It has much finer hairs that seems to hold more water. It also doesn't have the backbone the STF has, so it splays more easily. Oh also, what size do you use? I first had the Muhle STF in 21mm and didn't find it to face lather as well as the 23mm.

I have the 19mm.  That may be part of the problem.  It's a good brush for bowl lathering though.  It used to take me a long time to get a good lather going with Stirling soap before I got it.  Now, I can whip it up almost as fast as I can a cream.

3 584
 06-03-2015, 11:26 AM
User Info
Great brush at the $60 price and even better at the $30 price. Congrats to all those that can source them. You won't be competing with me as mine will more than likely last longer than me. 

31 8,058
 06-03-2015, 11:33 AM
User Info
(06-03-2015, 10:17 AM)DayMan Wrote:
(06-03-2015, 07:49 AM)fram773 Wrote:
(06-03-2015, 07:39 AM)DayMan Wrote: I have a Muhle STF.  It works well for bowl lathering, but I have to press too hard on my face to get it to splay for face lathering.  I'm sure that's probably just my technique though since other people don't seem to have any problems with it.  I'm hoping the Plisson will work better for face lathering.

I have the 19mm.  That may be part of the problem.  It's a good brush for bowl lathering though.  It used to take me a long time to get a good lather going with Stirling soap before I got it.  Now, I can whip it up almost as fast as I can a cream.
That is definitely the problem IMO. I hear it recommended, I think it was by GDCarrington, that a synth brush of a certain size will act like a badger brush 2mm smaller. So it is like getting a 17mm badger brush! The loft is too short also, so it has too much backbone and causes it to splay too little. The 23mm I have now feels almost as soft as the Plisson but the 21mm was quite scritchy, I can only imagine the 19mm. 

18 713
 06-03-2015, 11:37 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Great news! While I'm tempted to buy one - that would mostly be due to my perceived scarcity of this brush. 

I have tried this Plisson - and while it was nice (handle too small for me) - I like my HIS synthetic brush *much* more. I purchased it on GDC's recc - and it has turned out to be a great buy. Incidentally, the HIS brush is $30 all the time but gets zero attention. This puzzles me.

17 535
 06-03-2015, 11:42 AM
User Info
(06-03-2015, 11:37 AM)v4257 Wrote: Great news! While I'm tempted to buy one - that would mostly be due to my perceived scarcity of this brush. 

I have tried this Plisson - and while it was nice (handle too small for me) - I like my HIS synthetic brush *much* more. I purchased it on GDC's recc - and it has turned out to be a great buy. Incidentally, the HIS brush is $30 all the time but gets zero attention. This puzzles me.

You must be the hulk because that handle is silly big  Biggrin. Great brush though, it is what got me hooked on synthetics after the disappointment that was the Parker synth.

18 713