06-16-2012, 08:03 AM
User Info
No photos, sorry.
I was weeding the garden and checking on my peppers and noticed a good deal of peppers and even a Scotch Bonnet is growing. My Habs are even flowering! This is crazy, Habs and Scotch Bonnets don't typically flower and fruit unil the end of July.

I have heaps of Super Chili's and Cayenne's not far from changing color and none of the plants are even half way grown. I'm going to have massive yeilds this year.

Anyone else picking early? I've already pick pounds of snap peas and just picked 2lbs of green beans last night. My onions are pretty big as well.

9 451
 06-16-2012, 08:31 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
You have had a better year thanks then. The weather in the UK has been miserable. It's been so chilly that the chillies & peppers are nowhere near flowering yet even in our poly-tunnel.

Enjoy your early crops.

1 290
 06-16-2012, 10:08 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-16-2012, 08:03 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: I was weeding the garden and checking on my peppers and noticed a good deal of peppers and even a Scotch Bonnet is growing. My Habs are even flowering! This is crazy, Habs and Scotch Bonnets don't typically flower and fruit unil the end of July.

Hi John

I think for most in the US it has been a pretty crazy gardening year so far, with lots of places a good 3 to 4 weeks ahead of where they "normally" are...

The mild winter and above average springtime temperatures got the gardening season off to a flyer this year...

Enjoy your peppers and just pray we don't get a brutally hot and dry summer...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 06-16-2012, 10:27 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
(06-16-2012, 10:08 AM)mikeperry Wrote: The mild winter and above average springtime temperatures got the gardening season off to a flyer this year...
So you guys stole all the nice weather ...

1 290
 06-16-2012, 11:13 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-16-2012, 10:27 AM)Persius Wrote:
(06-16-2012, 10:08 AM)mikeperry Wrote: The mild winter and above average springtime temperatures got the gardening season off to a flyer this year...
So you guys stole all the nice weather ...

Believe me I would gladly trade some of the heat we've been having with the rain you guys have recently been having over there...

I've not yet seen the rainfall amounts for April and May, but I bet compared to our "average" amounts for those couple of months (normally the wettest two months of the year for us) we were well below "average".

If my memory serves April was on average almost 12°F (7°C) above "normal".

We've already seen more days of +90°F (+32°C) than I like to see throughout a whole year...

23 1,872
 06-16-2012, 11:18 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
Mike - we have just had our hosepipe ban ended after the wettest May in donkeys. The minute they announced the hosepipe ban the heavens opened, and it's been raining ever since. Get your guys to announce water rationing, and you'll get rain!

Your garden is coping remarkably well considering your high temperatures.

1 290
 06-16-2012, 11:57 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-16-2012, 11:18 AM)Persius Wrote: Mike - we have just had our hosepipe ban ended after the wettest May in donkeys. The minute they announced the hosepipe ban the heavens opened, and it's been raining ever since. Get your guys to announce water rationing, and you'll get rain!

That's exactly what my mum was telling me, also when I spoke with her early this week she told me about the hosepipe ban being lifted...

According to the wife, since we live sandwiched between the Mississippi and Missouri rivers it's almost impossible that we would see a hosepipe ban...

(06-16-2012, 11:18 AM)Persius Wrote: Your garden is coping remarkably well considering your high temperatures.

Luck (lots of luck), careful selection of the right plants (lots of natives), correctly planted (placement, planting depth, etc) and one good watering (1inch / 25mm) a week, rising to two waterings a week when the real heat of summer kicks in around here - seems to be working out ok! for me so far.

23 1,872
 06-16-2012, 01:32 PM
User Info
John, congrats on the early harvest. How do prepare the peppers?

75 20,883
 06-16-2012, 04:01 PM
User Info
(06-16-2012, 01:32 PM)celestino Wrote: John, congrats on the early harvest. How do prepare the peppers?

All kind of ways, but certain peppers are more versatile than others.
Dried.
Dried, crushed.
Dried, crushed, ground into powder.
Some powders get mixed for a chilli powder.
Frozen.
Pickled.
When I make sweet pickles I make a few dozen jars with a pepper inside. (hot pickles).
Blended whole then made into a pepper mash for making hot sauce.

My fiancée and me love to sit on the porch drinking ice cold beer with some music playing inside while we hand string the cayenne and Super Chilli peppers for drying. It's relaxing and much more fun than using the dehydrator, plus, all of the strung chillis look nice hanging on the porch. They look like Christmas lights.

I had to buy another freezer to keep all of the vegetables in and it fills up fast. We weigh out everything by the pound and bag them. I learned some good tricks about freezing peppers. Like pre-freezing them before bagging them. That keeps them from being crushed.

I make salsa also, actually that's why I started gardening. I grow everything I need to make it. Hot sauce came along because I grew too many peppers one year and now I'm hooked on them.

A lot of the pickles, hot sauce, apple-cinnamon jelly, pickled peppers, BBQ sauce and dry rubs I make end up as Christmas gifts to family and friends. Heidi bakes dozens and dozens of cookies.

I'm a dork with far too many interests. LOL

9 451