06-03-2015, 12:04 PM
User Info
To all prospective buyers, please, please, PLEASE do not post "PM sent."  Just send the @#!* PM!  Looking at at various posts in the Swap & Shop area, its becoming more rampant and, to me, aggravating.  Its bad for both the seller and the buyer.  It obviously scares away potential buyers and if the sale falls through, the seller has to reassure everyone that its for sale.  And if you review the thread, its clear that the potential buyer, i.e. the member who wrote "PM sent", couldn't seal the deal as it were.  And I think its annoying for a seller to have to preemptively include "no PM sent" language in their sale thread.

So please just stop sending "PM sent".  I don't want to ask the mods to create to create a rule barring a "PM sent" post because I think members here are considerate and I believe in self-policing.  Alternatively I think we should disallow a "PM sent" post as part of a member's post count.  

Argh, I'm getting worked up just thinking about it.

88 1,529
 06-03-2015, 12:12 PM
User Info
+1000

The only exception I can think of is if your PM gets bounced back due to the seller's inbox being full. In that case I think it is appropriate.

46 1,278
 06-03-2015, 12:15 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I agree that it is absolutely pointless. The only thing that matters is if the item is sold, and the seller can update the post to reflect that once the deal is done.

I don't believe posts in the Buying/Selling sections add to post count.

61 861
 06-03-2015, 12:23 PM
User Info
While they are posting "PM sent" to scoop up a bargain, I'm busy typing my PM to the seller before they get a chance to!

Don't do it. As others said, it's useless and is frowned upon by 99% of sellers.

8 2,718
 06-03-2015, 12:24 PM
User Info
(06-03-2015, 12:12 PM)shevek Wrote: The only exception I can think of is if your PM gets bounced back due to the seller's inbox being full. In that case I think it is appropriate.

That makes sense.  I've done that in the past, but I have written something more substantial that would alert the seller their inbox was full.

(06-03-2015, 12:15 PM)greyhawk Wrote: I don't believe posts in the Buying/Selling sections add to post count.

I didn't know that.  I was just trying to think of some sort of deterrent, but like I wrote, I think being a good member should be enough of a deterrent.

88 1,529
 06-03-2015, 12:27 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Agreed.
This has been mentioned many times, yet some continue to do this.
The courteous thing to do is send the PM, and not post 'PM sent'.

111 18,918
 06-03-2015, 12:47 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I think some who post "PM sent" are trying to be polite but I completely agree with the original post here.  Folks, it is nothing but aggravating and accomplishes nothing.  Once the sale is complete the seller should thank everyone, announce that the product has been sold and then ask an admin or mod to please archive that particular "for sale" (or "want to buy" or "want to trade") thread.

2 5,000
 06-03-2015, 01:40 PM
User Info
I agree with the above. I don't think it's malicious, but it does ward off potential buyers and, as has been so clearly illuminated, creates unnecessary policing by the seller. It's also seems clear to me that the newer members are more often guilty of this infraction--being unfamiliar with the proper etiquette.  While I am not sure a rule must made, I am going to protect myself by adding the appropriate text to my sale threads. 

54 4,981
 06-03-2015, 05:38 PM
User Info
I have to admit I did this earlier today and my PayPal proceeded to mess up on me. I apologize if this is aimed at my situation. I meant no harm and didn't even think about nor on my mobile figure out how to delete it after it was posted.

50 374
 06-03-2015, 05:48 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(06-03-2015, 05:38 PM)jhawlz Wrote: I have to admit I did this earlier today and my PayPal proceeded to mess up on me. I apologize if this is aimed at my situation. I meant no harm and didn't even think about nor on my mobile figure out how to delete it after it was posted.

No worries.  You're not the only one. Smile

111 18,918
 06-03-2015, 06:26 PM
User Info
(06-03-2015, 05:38 PM)jhawlz Wrote: I have to admit I did this earlier today and my PayPal proceeded to mess up on me. I apologize if this is aimed at my situation. I meant no harm and didn't even think about nor on my mobile figure out how to delete it after it was posted.

jhawlz - I had no one in particular in mind and it wasn't just looking at this forum that caused me to start this thread.  To be honest I can't even remember if any specific thread instigated this.  I certainly don't mean to come off as hostile and I definitely agree with everyone else that members that do write this aren't doing so maliciously.  This was part PSA/part vent.  I had given some thought to posting in every thread where it pops up but that would be obnoxious and off putting.  And this the Complaint Department after all!  I don't want to discourage your or anyone else's active participation and I certainly am not singling anyone out.

88 1,529
 06-03-2015, 06:30 PM
  • Triad
  • Texas
User Info
Pm Sent
Smile 

118 1,714
 06-03-2015, 06:32 PM
User Info
(06-03-2015, 06:30 PM)Triad Wrote: Pm Sent
Smile 

Oh great now I have to create another thread!  "Don't send a 'PM sent' post in a 'Don't Send a 'PM sent'' complaint thread!"  We're at the nexus of the universe!

88 1,529
 06-03-2015, 06:41 PM
User Info
Good one Toby Smile.No offense taken Josh. If you ask anyone in here that knows me or dealt with me I'm as laid back as they get. It does mess up both the position in the thread for other people with items up for the BST but someone posting PM sent wouldn't discourage me from checking to see if it's still available. I see where some wouldn't even try to get it after they seen it posted.  I wouldn't know if pm sent meant they had a question about the item or if they were purchasing it. 

50 374
 06-03-2015, 06:48 PM
User Info
(06-03-2015, 06:32 PM)jpakstis Wrote:
(06-03-2015, 06:30 PM)Triad Wrote: Pm Sent
Smile 

Oh great now I have to create another thread!  "Don't send a 'PM sent' post in a 'Don't Send a 'PM sent'' complaint thread!"  We're at the nexus of the universe!

And guess what Toby will post in that thread  Biggrin

46 1,278
 06-03-2015, 08:12 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Oh josh...members are just marking their territory. Biggrin 

[Image: UNkFcIi.jpg]

52 20,402
 06-03-2015, 08:51 PM
User Info
Biggrin

I had that written in a sales thread of mine and then there was extensive negotiations via PM and no sale.
If it is not a definite "will buy it" and "sorry guys, all of these goods offered are gone now, thank you" thing it is taking attention away from the thread.

21 1,175
 06-04-2015, 06:08 AM
User Info
Until it says SOLD or TRADED, I send a PM. Just because someone else PMs first, doesn't mean the seller wants to sell to that person.

When I sell or trade, it's usually not first come first served. Sometimes I want a good deal or sought after product to end up in the hands of a deserving member and not the first person who sees it.

8 2,718
 06-04-2015, 09:53 AM
User Info
PM sent as a post doesn't bother me in the least. Unless it becomes ANOTHER RULE I have no complaints. 

145 14,008
 06-04-2015, 09:54 AM
User Info
Thanks for posting this. Im guilty of doing this and only did it because I had seen it done alot by other members buying in the BST. I assumed it was the proper way to do things and followed suit. Thank you for setting the record straight and letting everyone know how doing this can be detrimental.

3 78