06-04-2015, 07:27 AM
User Info
Gents,

Father’s day will shortly be upon us in the UK and SWMBO is starting to ask what I would like. There are a number of creams and soaps that I have not tried (but read plenty about) so I am thinking of suggesting one of them to SWMBO. 

So you are aware, without going through my complete soap/cream collection, I already have:

* Penhaligons (Blenheim Bouquet cream and English Fern soap)
* Floris JF (soap)
* Baume.be (cream)
* MdC
* Santa Maria Novella
* Castle Forbes (lavender)
* XPEC (scented and unscented)
* AdP (in tube, not jar)
* Trumpers (cream – violet and coconut)
* Truefitt & Hill (Ultimate Comfort)
* DR Harris (Arlington – Stick)
* Simpsons (Vanilla & Rose)
* Esbjerg (Grapefuit)

Set out below are some that I don’t have that come to mind. I would be grateful for your thoughts on which I should go for. Bear in mind that I am UK based so getting hold of some the US artisan soaps is not always that easy.

* Castle Forbes (Lime)
* Czech and Speake (Oxford & Cambridge or 88)
* Simpsons (maybe Citrus Burst?)
* Valobra (if so, which scent?)
* Musgo Real (if so, which scent?)
* Meißner Tremonia
* Le Pere Lucien
* I Coloniali (Cream)
* Others???

Thanks as always!

0 12
 06-04-2015, 08:20 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I would recommend one of these:

* Czech and Speake (Oxford & Cambridge)

* Meißner Tremonia (Either Dark Limes, Ping Grapefruit, or Lavender De Luxe) (soap, not cream) I believe in the UK Connaught Shaving carries them.

178 23,809
 06-04-2015, 10:02 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
You have some great options listed!

There are three in your list of potentials that I have decided I will never be without as long as available.

Valobra Fougere- great performance and suits me perfectly as a solid everyday soap
LPL- in Nick's challenge thread I mentioned that I am consistently reminded of how great this soap really is each time I use it

Having said that, these are very good soaps in my opinion but other than performance I don't feel they are especially unique...

I Coloniali is my third that will always be in my rotation and it is very much a unique soap by my experience. The performance is top notch (and I have very hard water), post shave is wonderful and although polarizing online I find the scent to be fantastic. If you go with the terra cotta bowl the presentation is different as well.

This would be my pick!

P.S. I would actually consider this more a soap than cream too.

2 1,180
 06-04-2015, 10:23 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-04-2015, 10:02 AM)kwsher Wrote: You have some great options listed!

There are three in your list of potentials that I have decided I will never be without as long as available.

Valobra Fougere- great performance and suits me perfectly as a solid everyday soap
LPL- in Nick's challenge thread I mentioned that I am consistently reminded of how great this soap really is each time I use it

Having said that, these are very good soaps in my opinion but other than performance I don't feel they are especially unique...

I Coloniali is my third that will always be in my rotation and it is very much a unique soap by my experience. The performance is top notch (and I have very hard water), post shave is wonderful and although polarizing online I find the scent to be fantastic. If you go with the terra cotta bowl the presentation is different as well.

This would be my pick!

P.S. I would actually consider this more a soap than cream too.

I have to agree with Kevin about the iColoniali in the terra cotta bowl.  I too love the scent and if you happen to ask for this, then I would recommend you also ask for the iColoniali Mango Balm.  Just a fantastic product.

178 23,809
 06-04-2015, 10:27 AM
  • RobinK
  • I like things that work.
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
My, my, but that is an impressive list of outstanding products you already have...

Since your preferences seem to be geared towards high performance products, I would recommend Meißner Tremonia (Dark Limes, or Exotic Elemi) soap and preshave soap. Number two from your list would be Le père Lucien. 

A few products possibly missing from your list in my opinion, in no apparent order, But, well, at this point in time, Meißner Tremonia. Personally, the most exciting product line to have entered the market in quite some time. Oh, and I would definitely steer clear of the Musgo Real. Very pedestrian, quite inefficient, abysmal skin care.

0 197
 06-04-2015, 01:49 PM
User Info
So helpful. Thanks all for the wonderful feedback.

0 12
 06-04-2015, 08:23 PM
  • Razor OMR
  • Horse Shoes-Nukes & Shaving
  • Dallas tx
User Info
+1

Le Pere Lucien is a personal favorite- both for performance and scent

I Coloniali is a good shave, has a light pleasant scent, & as mentioned, pairs well w/ their mango aftershave balm. The terra cotta is a nice bonus, and displays nicely with shave gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 23
 06-05-2015, 05:09 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(06-04-2015, 07:27 AM)thoosero Wrote: Gents,

Father’s day will shortly be upon us in the UK and SWMBO is starting to ask what I would like. There are a number of creams and soaps that I have not tried (but read plenty about) so I am thinking of suggesting one of them to SWMBO. 

So you are aware, without going through my complete soap/cream collection, I already have:

* Penhaligons (Blenheim Bouquet cream and English Fern soap)
* Floris JF (soap)
* Baume.be (cream)
* MdC
* Santa Maria Novella
* Castle Forbes (lavender)
* XPEC (scented and unscented)
* AdP (in tube, not jar)
* Trumpers (cream – violet and coconut)
* Truefitt & Hill (Ultimate Comfort)
* DR Harris (Arlington – Stick)
* Simpsons (Vanilla & Rose)
* Esbjerg (Grapefuit)

Set out below are some that I don’t have that come to mind. I would be grateful for your thoughts on which I should go for. Bear in mind that I am UK based so getting hold of some the US artisan soaps is not always that easy.

* Castle Forbes (Lime)
* Czech and Speake (Oxford & Cambridge or 88)
* Simpsons (maybe Citrus Burst?)
* Valobra (if so, which scent?)
* Musgo Real (if so, which scent?)
* Meißner Tremonia
* Le Pere Lucien
* I Coloniali (Cream)
* Others???

Thanks as always!

I would like to suggest:
  • Dusy Professional Kabinett 
  • Antica Barbieria Colla Soap
  • 3P soft soap
  • Panama 1924 Boellis Shaving Soap
  • 40% Ass Milk (La savonniere du moulin)
Enjoy!!!

113 1,495
 06-21-2015, 05:51 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Happy Father's Day- what did you unbox this morning?

2 1,180