06-16-2012, 01:53 PM
User Info
One of our Guinea Hens sat on, near as I can figure, 50 or more eggs. I have no idea how many will hatch, but no where near 50, she just wasn't big enough to keep them all warm, but she did hatch some. They are about to be brought out into the world by mom in the next day or 2. Right now she's hanging around the nest waiting for all the hatchlings to break out, and being protective. So from her behavior I know the keets are there.

She has a good chance to actually have some survive since our weather is predicted to be dry and this morning we only had light dew. If the keets get wet, they die from exposure.

If anyone is interested I'll take pics and post them.

Let me know.

32 6,308
 06-16-2012, 02:09 PM
User Info
Brian, it would be a pleasure to see that as we do not get much of that in the city! Biggrin

75 20,883
 06-16-2012, 03:47 PM
User Info
We raised some guinea hens years ago and once they were full grown they took off down the road and we never saw them again. Enjoy yours. We got ours because they're great snake killers (allegedly) and we had a big population of snakes on our property.

5 298
 06-16-2012, 04:04 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Pictures are a must. Without pictures, it did not happen.Smile

173 23,488
 06-16-2012, 05:16 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-16-2012, 01:53 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: If anyone is interested I'll take pics and post them.

Let me know.

I'll join the chorus for photos to be posted Smile

23 1,872
 06-16-2012, 05:47 PM
User Info
WILCO

I don't know about snake killers, but they do a great job of reducing the tick population. That's why we got them 2 years ago.

This year the ticks are pretty thick up here. Friends tell us how bad they are at their places but not here. We couldn't keep them home if we tried, they roam between my neighbors place and ours, but he says he gets the benefits and no responsibility. That's about right too. Other than when they're sitting on eggs and have keets that can't get into the coop they come home every night and go into the coop.

Oakshott, did you confine them to the coop for a few weeks to start with? That teaches them that it's home so that they return to it at night and during really terrible weather.

Anyway, when Mom takes them out I'll get pics. It might be a day or 2. But if they get wet they may not survive long enough for pics. We're hoping for no heavy dew.

32 6,308
 06-16-2012, 06:19 PM
User Info
Brian, Pics in a couple of days would be good. Never raised them myself but have had some neighbors to have them. Hope there's a big brood.

29 1,731
 06-16-2012, 08:11 PM
User Info
I just hope they survive. Heavy dew tonight. If mom lets them get wet in the morning they'll die. Oh well, nothing I can do about it except watch.

32 6,308
 06-16-2012, 10:46 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
Fingers crossed for you (and them).

Looking forward to pictures.

1 290
 06-21-2012, 12:17 PM
User Info
I'd like to know where they are! She acted like she was defending her keets when I started this thread. Then the other day I thought I heard "cheeping" from the nest, but she continues to stay on the nest and I've seeen no keets.

I just don't get it. They should have hatched days ago. But she won't remain sitting on dead eggs.

32 6,308
 06-21-2012, 01:04 PM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
We had many Guinea hens when I was a kid. But as a kid, I thought that of all the variety of bird on the farm, these were the worst. They thought nothing of attacking you... may have made a good guard bird. They are interesting looking, but I recall some viscous pecks as a youngster.

0 253
 06-21-2012, 03:01 PM
User Info
I was attacked last year when one hen had keets, and they know me. They go for the face/head. I'm glad they don't get to be ostrich size. Biggrin

The one sitting on the nest now just displayed; Brought it's wings up to make itself bigger, turned into me and hissed.

32 6,308
 06-22-2012, 05:45 AM
User Info
Brian -

Need to see pics. Maybe I should get some Guinea Hens as we have a tick problem here too. Smile

37 1,731
 06-24-2012, 01:07 PM
User Info
Yohann, they have to the dumbest bird nature ever produced, but they are endearing if you either, don't have neighbors, or the neighbors will tolerate their noise in order to reduce the ticks. They are very noisy! After a year or so they quiet down after everything they see isn't quite so "new" to them. After that phase they act as a flock of "barking" watchdogs except it's more of a screetching. Did I mention how noisy they are?

My neighbors love having their anti-tick patrols at no cost to them and so they tolerate them. OK, they also find them amusing. Did I mention how dumb they are? They also lay delicious (small) eggs if you can find the nest. You almost need a hammer and chisle to get into them. The shells are really tough. The eggs are mostly yolk, and I don't care what the Drs say, yolk is what makes an egg edible.

But the reason I came back to this thread was...

I checked the sitting hen today. It's been days since we've seen her out and about and we both thought she had to be dead. But she is alive and well. So I have no idea when the eggs will hatch. We're pulling for her, but if they hatch and she brings them out out in the next 2 days they'll die. Rain is expected. They get a chill, they die.

32 6,308
 07-14-2012, 10:58 AM
User Info
All of the eggs have to be dead. She's been sitting on eggs for 2 months now and I'm getting worried for the hen. I did hear cheeping around the right time, but I'm guessing she kept sitting trying to hatch all 50 or so eggs. She just isn't big enough for that. At this point I'm going to try to force her off of the nest and remove all of the eggs. She needs to eat and drink normally.

I wish I knew more about them, but I'm guessing.

There is another guinea hen sitting on eggs though and I have a chicken sitting on eggs also. The chicken eggs should hatch, if our time keeping is correct, this week. Today I'll get out a brood cage for her, otherwise when they hatch the other hens will kill and eat the chicks. No such problem with the guinea hens. When those chicks hatch the entire flock is protective of them for at least the first few days, momma especially. Momma GH will stay protective for quite some time.

Edit: 50 eggs! Hah! the actual count was 107 eggs. And stink! Right through the shells.

32 6,308
 07-14-2012, 02:23 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(07-14-2012, 10:58 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Edit: 50 eggs! Hah! the actual count was 107 eggs. And stink! Right through the shells.

Hi Brian

That's bad news Sad

Fingers-crossed the eggs under the other guinea hen and the eggs under the chicken hatch without any problem.

Wow! 107 that sure seems like a lot! of eggs.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872