Poll: Which piece of equipment is the most important to a great shave?
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 06-06-2015, 11:46 AM
User Info
Rather than just voting, please justify your choice. I was torn, but after a lack-luster shave with 2 weepers and a cut, I have come to the conclusion that the razor blade is THE most important part of the shaving equation. BTW, that blade was on its second shave and is now residing in my blade bank.

Let the voting begin.

39 3,869
 06-06-2015, 12:38 PM
User Info
I admit the blade makes a big difference; however, the difference between my old razor (Merkur Futur) and my Feather DS-A2 is profound. Using the same blade in both I get a much better shave with the DS-A2. I've also shaved with a verity of blades with both razors and I find the shaves I'm getting with all blades I tried are better with the DS-A2 by comparison and with my blades of choice its hands down the best shave I've gotten has been with the AS-D2. So for me it's the razor. 

1 142
 06-06-2015, 12:54 PM
User Info
For me its the soap or lather product. Any brush can make lather and be painted on with no issues, but if it's weak...your shave will suffer.

I also find any razor can be tamed or worked with if the lather is of quality.

8 2,718
 06-06-2015, 12:56 PM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
Oooh good question, Primo! That's a tough one.  I would agree with you about the blade, except without proper preparation, I would still end up with an irritable neck.  Regardless of the tools.  

11 678
 06-06-2015, 12:58 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Definatley the blade for me, quite a variety of blades out there all perform differently. Try to shave without one!!

118 1,708
 06-06-2015, 01:01 PM
User Info
I voted razor. I have been using the same razor since 2006. It is blade neutral and gives an effiecent and effective shave. I use creams and face lather with my hand, which gives me repeatably consistent lather. Prep is a shower. 
I have been shaving with a blade for 51 yrs and find a minimalist approach gives me the quick, smooth and comfortable shave I seek to achieve. Of course this is only my way yours my differ. 

0 24
 06-06-2015, 01:15 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Back after I became competent enough at wet shaving to get some reliable results, I did a months long experiment changing up all the variables and I concluded that the biggest factor in getting better shaves than I had before with disposables and canned goo was the brush and a good soap or cream. Two factors I guess actually. It made the most significant difference in end result.  A somewhat distant second was using a DE, then blade. It still made a difference but not as huge a one. However I can see that the heavier your beard the closer a second the razor and blade would be to the brush/soap combo, but I can't see how it could ever be more important.

7 2,279
 06-06-2015, 01:16 PM
User Info
You forgot hands and face to the list.  Biggrin

Honestly it's hard to choose from the list. All can make or break a shave. Not so much the brush. I've built great lathers off a Tweezerman and a HMW. To me that's more of an experience thing. 

147 3,460
 06-06-2015, 01:23 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
With the brush it's about the lather and how it sets up your beard. It and the soap or cream that one uses with it instead of canned foam makes all the difference. I got much better shaves using it and a two or three bladed disposable than I did using a fine DE razor and high end blade with canned goo smeared with my fingers.

7 2,279
 06-06-2015, 01:23 PM
User Info
I'm more noted, maybe, for SE shaving but I still enjoy a DE shave now and then. The way the question is worded I can't/won't vote (I didn't try), but for me the least important of the choices is the brush. A great lather can be made with any type of brush and I do so every shave. In fact, I insist on it. I couldn't care less what brush I'm offered, I'll make a great lather and won't shave until I have it.

Whoops, there was one brush that had passed through many hands before it got to me. Not only could those folks not make lather with it, neither could I. I wound up drilling it out and putting a new knot in it with the owners permission. Yes, I know who made the brush and the model, but it's not typical for that manufacturer, so I won't divulge the name.

32 6,445
 06-06-2015, 01:27 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
I'm not saying what brush you use matters as much as that you use a brush. I used a low end Omega boar in that experiment of mine.

7 2,279
 06-06-2015, 01:29 PM
User Info
I voted blade. I think once you find "the one" everything else kind of just starts to fall into place. 

57 273
 06-06-2015, 01:45 PM
User Info
Interesting replies so far...

39 3,869
 06-06-2015, 01:50 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I'll add to the blade camp... I can coax a decent shave out of a poor soap and lackluster brush. The razor tends to impact my shave to greater degree but the blade is my keystone and a bad blade usually results in a bad shave.

2 1,180
 06-06-2015, 02:56 PM
User Info
It is all dependent of the other -> factors, but  the blade is the big one

21 1,175
 06-06-2015, 04:29 PM
User Info
Had to vote razor. For me, more important than anything else. Soap would be a close second. Must have great control and good glide. All blades cut, all brushes make lather, and I don't prep, so those for me are the most important

4 63
 06-06-2015, 04:44 PM
User Info
Prep can be rated high, too. A prepped shave may be smooth and close, yet with the skin wrinkling there may be cuts

21 1,175
 06-06-2015, 05:02 PM
User Info
I personally feel that the brain is the most important equipment to a great shave. I try to be in a great mood when shaving even if it hasn't been such a great day. I have a few razors and they all shave different. And I have on hand a lot of different blades of different manufactures. And I use different soaps and cream combinations. To say for me at least I haven't been disappointed or had a terrible shave with any combinations. Even with weepers or the occasional lobotomy aside. Biggrin 

4 208
 06-06-2015, 05:26 PM
User Info
I voted for the prep.  I have a tough beard.  The best blade and razor are not going to give me a great shave shave if I don't put in time and effort into the  prep.   

48 5,709
 06-06-2015, 05:39 PM
User Info
(06-06-2015, 05:02 PM)Occam Wrote: I personally feel that the brain is the most important equipment to a great shave. I try to be in a great mood when shaving even if it hasn't been such a great day. I have a few razors and they all shave different. And I have on hand a lot of different blades of different manufactures. And I use different soaps and cream combinations. To say for me at least I haven't been disappointed or had a terrible shave with any combinations. Even with weepers or the occasional lobotomy aside. Biggrin 

Sorry Jeff, Brain was not an option.  Wink (If I needed to rely on the brain, we're talking major facial stubble.)  Biggrin

39 3,869