06-06-2015, 02:33 PM
User Info
For those of you who have Kamisoris, do you use any stands or cases for them? My first custom should be arriving any day now so I've been wondering about this. Did you make them yourselves or buy them somewhere?

11 489
 06-08-2015, 06:21 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
I have made my own.
 But, I have a few Kamisori and so made a larger using case than is necessary for one  blade:
Kamisori storage case

Most Kamisori are usually held in a carved or built up wooden piece about a bit longer than the blade. The one end has a high thin vertical groove that holds the blade up off off its downward pointing edge. The other end has a small slot to hold the shank end of the Kamisori. Think of a wave big at one side and a hollow and smaller wave at the other.
Razor stands

Fancy is up to you but they can be easily constructed by a fellow with few tools and an imagination!

Read up on how to hone a wa Kamisori and get yours professionally honed.
One good source:

~Richard
PS. Enjoy some really nice shaves, your hand will quickly learn how to hold the blade for it to work best on your face!

Mod Edit: Fixed the broken link for the video.

8 1,194
 06-11-2015, 07:39 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Sorry guys, the links all worked before I left the first time but I have updated them now.
Again, My Bad!
~Richard

8 1,194
 06-11-2015, 10:00 PM
User Info
I like to stick to the Japanese theme and i store my Kamisori's in Japanese Paulownia boxes. 

[Image: NEuqBpx.jpg]

7 783
 06-11-2015, 10:12 PM
User Info
(06-11-2015, 10:00 PM)AndyC Wrote: I like to stick to the Japanese theme and i store my Kamisori's in Japanese Paulownia boxes. 

Beautiful Andy!

1 1,975
 06-12-2015, 05:16 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
They are a real value when buying a few of them. They are unfinished and so may breath and that is a good thing. The Japanese have a history of making even a mundane package seem a work of art!

~Richard

8 1,194
 06-12-2015, 08:14 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Where do you buy boxes like that?

175 23,752
 06-12-2015, 11:05 PM
User Info
You can get them from the Tamahagane Honsha Ebay store, here is the link if you're interested Johnny. They come straight from Japan. 

http://stores.ebay.com/tamahaganehonsha/

7 783
 06-13-2015, 04:47 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Andy, thank you.

175 23,752
 06-18-2015, 12:42 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I've used the small boxes pictured above and have also made a few stands similar to what Robert Williams makes for the Purist western Kami.  They are super easy to make.

33 914
 06-29-2015, 02:58 PM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
I hope you don’t mind if I jump in on this post. I am in a similar situation. New to straight razor shaving . Where do you put your blades after your shave? Do you wash them? Do you strop them after your shave or just to half the count and do the remainder before your next shave? Do you store them in one of those rust proof sleeves? Then what do you do with them? Put them in a draw, or coffin box ? Crazy I know but which room do you store them in? I live in Fl so humidity is always an issue . Thanks for your help. Harry

21 447
 06-29-2015, 03:00 PM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(06-11-2015, 10:00 PM)AndyC Wrote: I like to stick to the Japanese theme and i store my Kamisori's in Japanese Paulownia boxes. 

But Andy where do you put and store your Filamonicas?

21 447
 06-29-2015, 05:56 PM
User Info
(06-29-2015, 02:58 PM)HarryO Wrote: I hope you don’t mind if I jump in on this post. I am in a similar situation. New to straight razor shaving . Where do you put your blades after your shave? Do you wash them? Do you strop them after your shave or just to half the count and do the remainder before your next shave? Do you store them in one of those rust proof sleeves? Then what do you do with them? Put them in a draw, or coffin box ? Crazy I know but which room do you store them in? I live in Fl so humidity is always an issue . Thanks for your help. Harry
(06-29-2015, 03:00 PM)HarryO Wrote: But Andy where do you put and store your Filamonicas?

After i'm done with my shave i clean my razor with tissue paper between the scales and wipe all moisture off the blade. I leave all my razors in a cabinet in my bedroom since it's dry and cool, i never leave them in the bathroom. I typically do 10/10 laps on my strop after the shave, although it's not necessary to do so- it's just a habit, some manufacturers such as Dovo even recommend you let the edge rest after the shave, but i always strop and have yet to see any adverse effects in doing so. After i'm done with stropping them i just let them sit (opened) in a safe place to air dry for 24hours (I have a lot of razors in rotation which is why i can let them rest this long) Then once they are dry i apply a couple drops of camellia oil on the blade and wipe off with tissue paper.

I then i store them in their original boxes with waxed paper since it isolates the blades from moisture, this might seem like overkill but it's what works for me and i have yet (fingers crossed) 'to see any of my razors form any kind of rust. With my kamisori's they require a little less maintenance since they don't have any scales so i don't have to be super cautious about moisture getting in between the pins.

Where i live isn't particularly humid, i would recommend you store them somewhere there is a bit ventilation, so they have room to breathe.

7 783
 06-29-2015, 06:52 PM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(06-29-2015, 05:56 PM)AndyC Wrote:
(06-29-2015, 02:58 PM)HarryO Wrote: I hope you don’t mind if I jump in on this post. I am in a similar situation. New to straight razor shaving . Where do you put your blades after your shave? Do you wash them? Do you strop them after your shave or just to half the count and do the remainder before your next shave? Do you store them in one of those rust proof sleeves? Then what do you do with them? Put them in a draw, or coffin box ? Crazy I know but which room do you store them in? I live in Fl so humidity is always an issue . Thanks for your help. Harry
(06-29-2015, 03:00 PM)HarryO Wrote: But Andy where do you put and store your Filamonicas?

After i'm done with my shave i clean my razor with tissue paper between the scales and wipe all moisture off the blade. I leave all my razors in a cabinet in my bedroom since it's dry and cool, i never leave them in the bathroom. I typically do 10/10 laps on my strop after the shave, although it's not necessary to do so- it's just a habit, some manufacturers such as Dovo even recommend you let the edge rest after the shave, but i always strop and have yet to see any adverse effects in doing so. After i'm done with stropping them i just let them sit (opened) in a safe place to air dry for 24hours (I have a lot of razors in rotation which is why i can let them rest this long) Then once they are dry i apply a couple drops of camellia oil on the blade and wipe off with tissue paper.

I then i store them in their original boxes with waxed paper since it isolates the blades from moisture, this might seem like overkill but it's what works for me and i have yet (fingers crossed) 'to see any of my razors form any kind of rust. With my kamisori's they require a little less maintenance since they don't have any scales so i don't have to be super cautious about moisture getting in between the pins.

Where i live isn't particularly humid, i would recommend you store them somewhere there is a bit ventilation, so they have room to breathe.

Thanks Andy, what about those anti rust sleeves they seen to have some oil base inside of the sleeve. Are they ok to use . Have you tried them? I was told not to put them in a wood box due to the oil substance inside the sleeve might stain, but to put them into a ceramic holder or cup ?

21 447
 06-30-2015, 04:22 AM
User Info
(06-29-2015, 06:52 PM)HarryO Wrote: Thanks Andy, what about those anti rust sleeves they seen to have some oil base inside of the sleeve. Are they ok to use . Have you tried them? I was told not to put them in a wood box due to the oil substance inside the sleeve might stain, but to put them into a ceramic holder or cup ?

Harry, i haven't used the anti rust sleeves before so i can't really comment on them, but i have heard great things about them. You probably wouldn't need any other storage if you did store them in the sleeves though, I know some people that store them in the sleeves then place them in test tube racks.

7 783
 06-30-2015, 04:49 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(06-30-2015, 04:22 AM)AndyC Wrote:
(06-29-2015, 06:52 PM)HarryO Wrote: Thanks Andy, what about those anti rust sleeves they seen to have some oil base inside of the sleeve. Are they ok to use . Have you tried them? I was told not to put them in a wood box due to the oil substance inside the sleeve might stain, but to put them into a ceramic holder or cup ?

Harry, i haven't used the anti rust sleeves before so i can't really comment on them, but i have heard great things about them. You probably wouldn't need any other storage if you did store them in the sleeves though, I know some people that store them in the sleeves then place them in test tube racks.
Thanks Andy,
The first thing I did was to move them out of the bathroom . I used the sleeve and put them in a shaving mug in the bedroom , a little less humid. Right now I can accommodate my 4 razors, however, already looking for my next. 
Have a good one.
Harry

21 447
 06-30-2015, 06:29 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I clean my razors with a tissue like Andy does then I fold them up and put them in one of the protective sleeves.  I actually store them in a drawer in the bathroom.  To date I've had no issues doing it this way.

175 23,752