06-06-2015, 03:21 PM
User Info
First a little back story I just moved into a new home, being the new guy on the block I'm feeling out my neighbors and just going with the flow of things. My next door neighbor is a veteran and active duty LEO. I have 2 children one is in elementary school other a toddler.

3 nights this week I've gotten home and a pitbull has been in a vacant lot down the street, 3 times the dog came at me barking and growling, each time it got closer and closer so close as it came on my porch. Now I am a dog lover,as is my wife and kids. I'm a firm believer regardless of breed of dog its all on how you raise said dog.

After the dog comes on my porch after me,I grab my neighbor and we start walking trying to figure out where the dog came from and talk to the owner as we both have kids,along with a lot more kids in the neighborhood. In my area the law says a pitbull must be in an enclosure with a roof,and some other requirements which we see no such enclosures.

He gives a call to his captain who calls animal control and no luck can't find the dog owner.  Or the dog for that matter that was Thursday.

I have the green light from these cops to protect my property but most important my kids and my neighbors kids in this neighborhood. Do I want to haft to do what the police said I may haft to? Absolutely NOT! However I will not let a child or adult for that matter get hurt or possibly killed because the owner of this dog is either too irresponsible /doesn't care/doesn't know their dog is out terrorizing the neighborhood.

I personally know many pitbull owners who have the most social non aggressive dogs you've ever seen. When I was in law enforcement we did have the occasional house with dogs that would of loved to tear you up,this dog in my neighborhood is one of those dogs and is just roaming around. Animal control is after it and the police are looking I just hope they find the dog before someone gets hurt. Also part of me feels bad for the dog as well as its just doing what dogs do,its the owner who is responsible for this dog IMO.

Please  if you love your dogs, make sure they can't get loose. This dog around here maybe some kids dog and to its family maybe the sweetest dog ever,but its not the case with strangers. I hate the fact that this situation is probably not going to end well for the dog,but with a little responsibility it could of all been avoided.

Forgot to add this. One of my neighbors had claimed the dog chased her grandson into the house,and also jumped on her dog causing a pretty large vet bill,however no police report was filed on this and it was the first the police had heard of it so it may or may not be true,but its another strike on this dog. Also it is a beautiful dog, nice muscle tone and color you can tell its a good breed.

3 1,356
 06-06-2015, 03:42 PM
User Info
We have a brown and white Pitt that occasionally roams the neighborhood. He has never come at anyone or anything but people are still wary. You can tell he is not a stray and taken care of but it boggles my mind how often he is seen just roaming. One of my neighbors is retired state police and already placed some calls so I guess we will see. 

Also have a terrier, chihuahua mix that runs around. Has a collar and all but is allowed to roam. Got in my backyard a couple times. Tears up my garden, pees on EVERYTHING including all over my patio. Always acts like he wants to tear you up if you get close. We wound up getting animal control involved and they got him. Didnt see it again for about a week but noticed a family walking him the other day. 

I love dogs and have one myself. At no time do I ever want to see one injured or in harms way or someone due to another person's actions and or treatment of their dog. Some people should have to pass a compitency test before owning animals. 

154 3,804
 06-06-2015, 04:25 PM
User Info
I agree with your last statement especially pit owners because let's be honest generally people are scared of them and they have a bad reputation deserved or not. So you make a decision to have this breed then be responsible, know people fear your dog and rather than feed that fear show them that they can be great pets too. 

I had 2 Rottweilers some time ago and someone poisoned my boys(who were in a fence). My Rotts were fine watch dogs and yes they were aggressive to other dogs,if the dog came close to their yard,however had they ever showed any aggression to humans I would of done what I had to do to break that or if need be give the dogs away.

3 1,356
 06-06-2015, 04:31 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
We have been through it all with one of our neighbors and their dogs. I live out in the county but we still have a leash law.  Still every time we let one of our dogs out we have to make sure that the neighbors dogs aren't in our yard(again) so my dogs don't jump on them. I'm a dog lover too and also agree that the owner is responsible for his/her dogs actions.

For Pit Bulls you just have to know what to do with them when they misbehave. For example.... You tell them that you will ship them off somewhere if they chew up another pair of your Oakleys... 

[Image: 5IkRyF5.jpg]

Judging by the look on his face,I think he understood me.   Biggrin

18 260
 06-06-2015, 04:39 PM
User Info
(06-06-2015, 04:31 PM)ncguy1 Wrote: For example.... You tell them that you will ship them off somewhere if they chew up another pair of your Oakleys... 

[Image: 5IkRyF5.jpg]

Judging by the look on his face,I think he understood me.   Biggrin

That's awesome and a beautiful dog. Ours has eaten her share of valuables, my wife's cell phone comes to mind. It's amazing what loving owners will overlook when the dog looks up at you like your picture.

We run in to all kinds of dogs at the dog and luckily they are all friendly and loved by their owners. We see one eyed dogs, three legged dogs, ex-police dogs, Rottweiler's, Pit Bulls, Boxers and everything in between.

Here is our 8y old mutt on the left playing with my folks 1y old mutt (Blue Healer mix).
[Image: 65f419cad83fd9c50fae7e45d2903dd4.jpg]

8 2,718
 06-06-2015, 04:44 PM
User Info
That is a beautiful pitbull. My sister has a blue pit and my 7 and 4 year old nieces like to dress her up and put make up on her. Her best friend is a 27 pound cat that sleeps in her crate with her lol.

3 1,356
 06-06-2015, 04:45 PM
User Info
I've resorted to using a motion-activated sprinkler in my back yard to keep the cats away. They leave piles everywhere and dig up the flower beds. I have to figure out a setup for the front yard because they sit on my cars and scratch the heck out of them. If I put a sprinkler up front, I'm sure I'll soak myself more often than I soak the cats.

0 1,194
 06-06-2015, 05:00 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
(06-06-2015, 04:39 PM)Bruce Wrote: It's amazing what loving owners will overlook when the dog looks up at you like your picture.

He has gotten himself out of trouble plenty of times with that look. My wife says he has me wrapped around his paw. lol

BTW sweet looking dogs you have there.

18 260
 06-06-2015, 05:01 PM
User Info
(06-06-2015, 04:45 PM)Shannon Wrote: I've resorted to using a motion-activated sprinkler in my back yard to keep the cats away.  They leave piles everywhere and dig up the flower beds.  I have to figure out a setup for the front yard because they sit on my cars and scratch the heck out of them.  If I put a sprinkler up front, I'm sure I'll soak myself more often than I soak the cats.

Call your local animal control and ask them to set cat traps. If the cats have owners they can retrieve them if not then they could be adopted out. We had the same problem a few years back. We had a big mancoon? Black and white and huge cat,and he was quite the ladies man and he was slick too he never could be caught. However a little while later we had quite a few black and white kittens roaming around.

They set traps and eventually got the male and the kittens. Come to find out and don't ask me how this was discovered but "fluffy" as my son named him's owner had passed away and the cat got left. He did got adopted,as my son was so upset I told the humane society I would take him if they couldn't find him a home. Thankfully he found a home..

3 1,356
 06-06-2015, 05:07 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
(06-06-2015, 05:01 PM)Otis375 Wrote:
(06-06-2015, 04:45 PM)Shannon Wrote: I've resorted to using a motion-activated sprinkler in my back yard to keep the cats away.  They leave piles everywhere and dig up the flower beds.  I have to figure out a setup for the front yard because they sit on my cars and scratch the heck out of them.  If I put a sprinkler up front, I'm sure I'll soak myself more often than I soak the cats.

Call your local animal control and ask them to set cat traps. If the cats have owners they can retrieve them if not then they could be adopted out. We had the same problem a few years back. We had a big mancoon? Black and white and huge cat,and he was quite the ladies man and he was slick too he never could be caught. However a little while later we had quite a few black and white kittens roaming around.

They set traps and eventually got the male and the kittens. Come to find out and don't ask me how this was discovered but "fluffy" as my son named him's owner had passed away and the cat got left. He did got adopted,as my son was so upset I told the humane society I would take him if they couldn't find him a home. Thankfully he found a home..

I agree and if the cats have owners,they are responsible for any scratches that their cats leave on you vehicles. Take pictures of the cats and anything they do. Man this really brings back past battles and wars with my neighbors.

18 260
 06-06-2015, 05:15 PM
User Info
I have quite the opposite conundrum. My next door neighbor has a Rottweiler mix the lives in a cell roughly 20 x 30 which he never leaves. It has a gravel base that is covered in roughly 2" to 4" of dog excrement that never gets picked up and when it's a hot and rainy day well you get the picture. This is yet another form of animal abuse. I have turned it in to our city and they turn a blind eye. I even took it to the health department and they said there was nothing they could do! Sad I feel bad for this animal and have taken to giving him dog treats as to keep him from barking at me while I am working by the fence. And not to mention his howling at 9:00 at night to be feed. What is a person supposed to do???? 

4 208
 06-06-2015, 05:18 PM
User Info
(06-06-2015, 05:07 PM)ncguy1 Wrote:

I agree and if the cats have owners,they are responsible for any scratches that their cats leave on you vehicles. Take pictures of the cats and anything they do. Man this really brings back past battles and wars with my neighbors.

Lol at the neighbors comment. My last neighbor bred boxers, lots and lots of boxers and he named them people names and called them son or daughter. 

@shannons soaps, if you own or have access to game cameras use them, if not document every time possible that you see a cat on a car. 

3 1,356
 06-06-2015, 05:26 PM
User Info
It may come to that. I wish I knew which cat scratched my cars, but I am apparently the only person in Parma, Ohio who DOESN'T have a cat (I'm allergic), so there are lots of possible suspects.

0 1,194
 06-06-2015, 05:29 PM
User Info

The first house me and wife moved in had a cat problem. There was a lady a few houses down that fed all the strays she could find. As you can expect they hung around and kittens kept a coming! They tore up our patio furniture, grill cover, anything they could claw and climb. Our flower beds became littler boxes & our cars stayed covered in tracks. 

We wound up calling animal control and they brought traps. In less than 8 hours we caught 12 cats and a possum lol. We told the officer who was feeding them so he found a spot and waited. He came back later and told us he caught her. Said as soon as she put all the food out and they came running he walked up asking to see the vaccination papers for each one. He explained to her that since she is feeding them she has accepted responsibility for them and would be fined. Said she turned pail white and quickly said it was just for her cat an knew nothing of all the rest lol. After that she stopped feeding them and the problem faded out. 

Some people don't realize that their good intentions can cause a number a problems and get them in trouble. 

154 3,804
 06-06-2015, 05:53 PM
User Info
(06-06-2015, 05:15 PM)Occam Wrote: I have quite the opposite conundrum. My next door neighbor has a Rottweiler mix the lives in a cell roughly 20 x 30 which he never leaves. It has a gravel base that is covered in roughly 2" to 4" of dog excrement that never gets picked up and when it's a hot and rainy day well you get the picture. This is yet another form of animal abuse. I have turned it in to our city and they turn a blind eye. I even took it to the health department and they said there was nothing they could do! Sad I feel bad for this animal and have taken to giving him dog treats as to keep him from barking at me while I am working by the fence. And not to mention his howling at 9:00 at night to be feed. What is a person supposed to do???? 

Animal cruelty laws are a friggin joke IMO. Maybe nature will take over on this one and the dog will realize how low his owner is and take appropriate action. 

That being said laws vary when it comes to cruelty to animals. If you have an animal control officer give them a call, different organizations, the humane society etc. Somebody can do something. Usually and its sad but if anything is done it starts out with a written citation to clean up the area,or do whatever improvements need to be done,followed by follow up visits to make sure they are doing what needs to be done. If the situation is bad enough the owner could be jailed and or the dog taken. It all depends on the laws and who responds.

3 1,356
 06-07-2015, 10:25 AM
User Info
Gonna update about my situation the dog in my original post is in my dog pens in my back yard... That's right. Last night I heard a dog barking and walked outside and there was the dog same place as always barking at whatever it saw/heard. It began barking and growling at my and coming toward me. I had tried to call the dog before but it ended up  charging at me etc.  This time he was barking and growling but it wasn't an aggressive I'm going to tear you up bark(at least my ears heard it that way) the dog got a little closer and I just let him feel me out a little(probably not the smartest thing but I do love dogs). He smelt me a little bit and I extended a fist, let him smell that and then gave him a pet or too down his body. When I extended my hand he flinched which told me he's probably been hit a few times.

I took things slow and petted him a little as he continued smelling of me. My wife was on the porch and I took a step too fast and the dog jumped a little run a few ft away and began barking again. I asked the wife to get some ham from the fridge and she brought it to me and I coaxed the dog back to me. 

After a few minutes of him eating (he was starving) I began to pet him again. He v followed me as I walked toward my house again and each time I turned around he jumped again and kind of barked a little. I opened my fence and let him in and went to my deck where I continued trying to let him know I wasn't going to hurt him.

After what seemed like maybe half an hour the dog is letting me pet him,my  wife comes outside and did all the things I had just done and he let her pet him as well. He eventually jumped on me with 2 paws and tail wagging.

I decided to put him in my pen, clear for all in the neighborhood to see,and away from kids so that when the owner sees I have their dog we can have a little talk. I firmly believe this dog has been abused and it is underweight. This just goes to show you animals behavior when they aren't treated right. I don't know what's going to happen with this dog but for right now he's away from kids and others and he's eating like a horse.

3 1,356
 06-07-2015, 12:02 PM
User Info
I'm glad to hear Otis. What's your plans if no one claims how? 

154 3,804
 06-07-2015, 12:27 PM
User Info
Now what was again that newspaper subject about some guys in shaving forums being classy?
Just want to pat you on your shoulder, Otis. 

Have a great day, and keep us posted

21 1,175
 06-07-2015, 12:48 PM
User Info
(06-07-2015, 12:02 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: I'm glad to hear Otis. What's your plans if no one claims how? 

No idea, I have young kids and while I'm OK with the dog I don't know the dog. Kids first . I have a huge fenced in backyard and then 2 dog pens at the corner of the property and now the dog is in the pen. I wouldn't keep him to live his life in that pen. If no one claims him first I'm gonna feed the dog poor thing is starving,and I'll let my kids go around the pen and see how he reacts.its really just how he does with them,I would keep him in a heartbeat though.

3 1,356
 06-07-2015, 01:47 PM
User Info
(06-07-2015, 12:48 PM)Otis375 Wrote:
(06-07-2015, 12:02 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: I'm glad to hear Otis. What's your plans if no one claims how? 

No idea, I have young kids and while I'm OK with the dog I don't know the dog. Kids first . I have a huge fenced in backyard and then 2 dog pens at the corner of the property and now the dog is in the pen. I wouldn't keep him to live his life in that pen. If no one claims him first I'm gonna feed the dog poor thing is starving,and I'll let my kids go around the pen and see how he reacts.its really just how he does with them,I would keep him in a heartbeat though.

I hope it all works out positive in the end. I know a number of places won't find homes for full grown dogs such as Pitts and Roty's and usually euthanize due to there reputation. It's sad really. 

On a side not, I think I need to use your quote. My S5 is killing me with auto correct lol. 

154 3,804