06-07-2015, 10:14 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I'm officially on the waiting list for a Wolfman. Now, it's time to make a decision. I'm trying to decide between the WRH2 or WRH6 handle. I'm also trying to decide between the OC or SB head. I have never used an OC, but I like the idea of one since I've read that it leaves more shave cream for the blade. I know in theory, it should be about the same level of aggressiveness since they both have the same gap and exposure. For those of you that have used them, what are your experiences?

3 587
 06-07-2015, 10:22 AM
User Info
You can certainly get the DC (dual-comb) plate to start and then figure out which side you like better. Or, I'm sure you can ask James to work you up a combo pack with both base plates. You can then just list the one you don't prefer on the BST, although you will probably end up wanting to keep both!

59 295
 06-07-2015, 11:37 AM
User Info
Decisions decisions.

122 13,219
 06-07-2015, 06:31 PM
  • e-dub
  • right brain: bna. left brain: dtw.
User Info
my wr1-oc is on the wrh2 handle and i adore it. not much in the way of mechanical grip on the handle, but i don't come close to having it slip when i use it.

41 666
 06-07-2015, 06:44 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(06-07-2015, 06:31 PM)e-dub Wrote: my wr1-oc is on the wrh2 handle and i adore it. not much in the way of mechanical grip on the handle, but i don't come close to having it slip when i use it.

Do you have the polished or brushed version?  That's the other decision I have to make.  I like the looks of both, but I'm not sure which one is easier to maintain.

3 587
 06-07-2015, 06:46 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
(06-07-2015, 06:44 PM)DayMan Wrote:
(06-07-2015, 06:31 PM)e-dub Wrote: my wr1-oc is on the wrh2 handle and i adore it. not much in the way of mechanical grip on the handle, but i don't come close to having it slip when i use it.

Do you have the polished or brushed version?  That's the other decision I have to make.  I like the looks of both, but I'm not sure which one is easier to maintain.

Brushed would be easier to maintain 

23 598
 06-07-2015, 06:53 PM
  • e-dub
  • right brain: bna. left brain: dtw.
User Info
brushed. i have a bbs-1 (polished razor made by james, as well) and i constantly clean it when it's not in use Sad

41 666
 06-07-2015, 07:03 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I have the polished DC on a WRH2 handle, and that handle is probably my favorite DE handle that I use...a very fine example of outstanding craftsmanship at a fair price.  

34 1,627
 06-07-2015, 07:28 PM
User Info
(06-07-2015, 06:44 PM)DayMan Wrote:

I have the WR1-OC polished. I used a bit of Renaissance Wax on it, and it's very easy to keep looking good. It has a tremendous finish on it, even better than my early BBS-1. I can also vouch for the WRH2, outstanding. It has classic good looks and feel great in hand.

It's definitely an esthetic preference, they both look great.

Good luck.

10 1,708
 06-08-2015, 05:20 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(06-07-2015, 07:03 PM)Giorgio Wrote: I have the polished DC on a WRH2 handle, and that handle is probably my favorite DE handle that I use...a very fine example of outstanding craftsmanship at a fair price.  

Which side do you like best?  Is one side more aggressive than the other?  I know YMMV, but I figure if I get enough opinions, I can make a better decision.  Although, from what I've read about these razors, I don't think I can make a bad decision.

3 587
 06-08-2015, 05:52 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(06-08-2015, 05:20 AM)DayMan Wrote: Which side do you like best?  Is one side more aggressive than the other?  I know YMMV, but I figure if I get enough opinions, I can make a better decision.  Although, from what I've read about these razors, I don't think I can make a bad decision.

You really can't make a bad choice here. In my case I didn't notice one side being more aggressive than the other...they both seemed equal in that regard. If I were to purchase another dedicated one, at this time I think I would go with the OC as it seems to be a little more effective on my neck region. If anything, I can see how some may consider the OC side more aggressive. However, I personally enjoy the variety of the DC and, for me, I am confident the DC was the right decision.

34 1,627
 06-08-2015, 06:12 AM
User Info
I found both sides to be equal , good efficient razor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 06-08-2015, 06:45 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Congrats! Myself, I would go for brushed, OC and the WRH2 but don't feel that you could possibly go wrong with anything available.

2 1,180
 06-08-2015, 03:11 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(06-08-2015, 06:45 AM)kwsher Wrote: Congrats! Myself, I would go for brushed, OC and the WRH2 but don't feel that you could possibly go wrong with anything available.

I was kind of leaning towards the OC, but I've never used one so I'm not sure what to expect. I also like razors on the milder side, so I'm probably going to get the gap reduced a little bit. I'm amazed that he does so much customization. He has excellent customer service. 

3 587
 06-08-2015, 03:29 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(06-08-2015, 03:11 PM)DayMan Wrote:
(06-08-2015, 06:45 AM)kwsher Wrote: Congrats! Myself, I would go for brushed, OC and the WRH2 but don't feel that you could possibly go wrong with anything available.

I was kind of leaning towards the OC, but I've never used one so I'm not sure what to expect. I also like razors on the milder side, so I'm probably going to get the gap reduced a little bit. I'm amazed that he does so much customization. He has excellent customer service. 

I had shied away from OC razors until a few months ago as I had been getting solid shaves from safety bar razors and frankly had been somewhat conditioned by the general online population to view them as requiring some incremental technique or skillset. 

Simply not the case- once you have nailed down the basics I do find they offer a better shave in general, even with a mild OC razor. I currently only have (3) to compare: Maggard OC which is very mild, Fatip Grande which may be my favorite razor overall right now and might be worth you trying to see if you like them as they are very inexpensive and an Ikon OC. Where I notice the performance bump most is in the "trouble" areas such as neck, chin, etc. They just scare the beard away   Smile

Regardless, congrats on your new razor and look forward to seeing the pics later!

2 1,180
 06-08-2015, 04:01 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Stay tuned... Pics coming in 6 - 8 weeks.  I guess the good thing about the wait list is that I have plenty of time to make a decision. 

3 587
 06-08-2015, 08:02 PM
User Info
I've used 2 OCs (ATT M2 & R2) and disliked them both. The SB version is much more comfortable on my face. I am currently using an ATT R1, which is brushed, so when I ordered my Wolfman (which shipped today!) I opted for polished. And while I think the #1 looks nice, I liked the #2 better.

I've seen talk (and pictures) of a #7 handle and rumors of a #8 as well, so who knows what'll be available when you get to the front of the line. Good luck!

9 329
 06-08-2015, 08:27 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(06-08-2015, 08:02 PM)repete66219 Wrote: I've used 2 OCs (ATT M2 & R2) and disliked them both. The SB version is much more comfortable on my face. I am currently using an ATT R1, which is brushed, so when I ordered my Wolfman (which shipped today!) I opted for polished. And while I think the #1 looks nice, I liked the #2 better.

I've seen talk (and pictures) of a #7 handle and rumors of a #8 as well, so who knows what'll be available when you get to the front of the line. Good luck!

Funny that you say that about the OC.  I just sold my Weber and used the funds to help pay for an ATT M2 with the Atlas handle.  I figured I would try the M2 and exchange for the M1 if I decide I don't like the OC.  

Congrats on your razor.  Let me know how it compares to the R1.

3 587
 06-08-2015, 08:32 PM
User Info
Regarding the Wolfman DC (dual comb) one, I have used mine for a few shaves or so now and I give a slight nod to the OC side being just a hair more aggressive than the SB side but it might just be me.  My razor that was my goto was the ATT H1 prior to the Wolfman.  I also have the polished version which I really like.  I didnt get a Wolfman handle at this time as I just opted to get all three Wolfman head sets!  Smile

2 116
 06-09-2015, 05:53 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(06-08-2015, 08:32 PM)sir_mike Wrote: Regarding the Wolfman DC (dual comb) one, I have used mine for a few shaves or so now and I give a slight nod to the OC side being just a hair more aggressive than the SB side but it might just be me.  My razor that was my goto was the ATT H1 prior to the Wolfman.  I also have the polished version which I really like.  I didnt get a Wolfman handle at this time as I just opted to get all three Wolfman head sets!  Smile

I guess that's one option.  When you can't make a decision, just get all of them.  What do you mean by the OC side being more aggressive?  Not as smooth or more efficient?  How does it compare to the ATT?

3 587