06-07-2015, 05:19 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I just heard that there is a new tailor service that comes to your home or office. Has anyone tried them? If so, what was your impression?

Z Tailors

46 18,082
 06-07-2015, 07:13 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I was active on a few men's clothing forums circa Windows 98. People 'bemused' by our interest here should spend time in the digital world of IGENTS who suffer angst over functioning button cuffs or innocently buying a tie that may be a proprietory  stripe of the 2nd Duchy of Fenwick Archers (mechanized).
This is a new service without a track record. The question is WHO will be responsible if the tailor turns out like the 'Saville Row' tailor who
walked away with several customer's cash and even a substantial bolt of pre WW2 wool flannel after creating an online persona right out of
Jeeves and Wooster. Buying grown up men's clothing is hard enough and the geography of SOCAL doesn't help. I should think if the tailor can come to you the reverse is true- if less convenient. But seeing an actual B&M shop with work in progress is the best reference of all.
We COULD always fly back to CHItown Sisi get some real pizza. I learned a great deal from a retired tailor there on those forums. 

2 3,171
 06-07-2015, 07:26 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(06-07-2015, 07:13 PM)kav Wrote: I was active on a few men's clothing forums circa Windows 98. People 'bemused' by our interest here should spend time in the digital world of IGENTS who suffer angst over functioning button cuffs or innocently buying a tie that may be a proprietory  stripe of the 2nd Duchy of Fenwick Archers (mechanized).
This is a new service without a track record. The question is WHO will be responsible if the tailor turns out like the 'Saville Row' tailor who
walked away with several customer's cash and even a substantial bolt of pre WW2 wool flannel after creating an online persona right out of
Jeeves and Wooster. Buying grown up men's clothing is hard enough and the geography of SOCAL doesn't help. I should think if the tailor can come to you the reverse is true- if less convenient. But seeing an actual B&M shop with work in progress is the best reference of all.
We COULD always fly back to CHItown Sisi get some real pizza. I learned a great deal from a retired tailor there on those forums. 

That is definitely true. I had a good tailor in Pasadena who is now likely retired. I have had nothing but bad luck in the South Bay. <sigh>

46 18,082
 06-07-2015, 08:11 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Pasadena was, and to an extent remains a enclave for quality shopping in many genres. I've noticed a slow decline in the men's shops that once flourished there. It seems like Beverly Hills and other enclaves of effluence are the only sources- with ridiculous prices. My little yuppie village is
touting a new men's 'clothier' with silk sports shirts befitting a Cuban drug dealer@ $500 and Italian ties with some name like Emiliano Zapata that
looked like rejects from the Rush Limbaugh collection. I was in my one, best British cut suit. Salesman walks over with his duckbill shoes, BLACK funeral director's suit, unbuttoned wingtip collar and asks ' and who are we; DCS Foyle or Lord Grantham'? I replied 'Sorry, I mistook your community theater production of THE BIRD CAGE for a Haberdashery'.  Euro

2 3,171