06-09-2015, 03:24 PM
User Info
I just noticed a bunch of referrer/referral spam in my Web analytics from a site with "stop referral spam" in its domain name.

For the uninitiated, a Web site referral is usually registered when one Web site passes you off to another.  A site owner can look at their Web analytics reports to see what other sites send them traffic.  Spammers will flood sites with fake referrers as a means of advertising themselves.  They're hoping small business owners will notice the referrer in their reports and will go check out the referring site, or that sites that publish their logs will inadvertently publish a link to the referring site.

Is referrer spam a problem for me and other small businesses? Yes.  Am I going to pay someone who is generating referrer spam as a means to advertise their referrer spam stopping services?  I think not.

0 1,181
 08-12-2015, 09:11 PM
User Info
Just ignore it, as long as you don't click on the referrer spam than there is nothing going happen. Only your statistics are not 100% accurate, because it includes the referrer spam as well.

0 55
 08-13-2015, 04:28 PM
User Info
There are some useful articles on how to filter at least some of it in Google Analytics. I seems to be getting more and more of it, so it may be time to do something about it.

0 1,181