06-10-2015, 05:42 PM
User Info
I just received this evening a Pure Boar Bristle Shaving Brush handcrafted by Vladimir Ferdman t/a LoveYourShave on Etsy which is probably the most beautiful brush handle I have ever seen. Vladimir manufactured the handle from spalted Southern Red Oak Burl wood to which he applied several coats of cyanoacrylate (CA) to water-proof it; and the head was obtained from an Omega 48 Pro (Model 10048). There appear to be no flaws in the craftsmanship. The piece is stunning. Although Vladimir has assured me that no brush stand is, in his opinion, needed, I find that the brush fits perfectly in a stand which I had purchased some time ago from Em's Place which I note only because the fork width is slightly larger than the 28mm commonly sold by other web companies. My brush has a knot of 28mm; a loft of 63mm; a handle of 74mm; with the total height of 137mm. While it is large -- and I expect most readers do not ordinarily care for such large brushes -- the contours of the handle fit my big hand perfectly. I can't wait to lather it up tomorrow; and I will share within this thread summary of my shaving experience. I regularly use the Shavemac "Opus Summum," the Simpson's "Eagle," and two custom made silvertip badger brushes (with 24mm knots) handcrafted by another great artisan, Robert Grubber t/a Excalibur Rustics on Etsy. The last time I used a badger hair brush was decades ago while still attending college; and even then the knot and loft were much smaller than that crafted by Vladimir. I know that Vladimir has posted contributions on this web site; and I cannot recommend him enough since he was very prompt and helpful in responding to my numerous inquiries. Can't wait for morning!

0 43
 06-10-2015, 05:55 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
You're just teasing us by posting this without pictures! Wink

22 828
 06-10-2015, 06:23 PM
User Info
I recall seeing that brush on Vladimir's Artisans thread here, and I agree that it's a magnificent piece.  If you can, please post pictures of this boar beauty.

50 6,115
 06-10-2015, 07:10 PM
User Info
(06-10-2015, 05:55 PM)chamm Wrote: You're just teasing us by posting this without pictures! Wink

+1 I don't see any photos!  Biggrin

83 21,081
 06-10-2015, 07:33 PM
User Info
^^^ what they said. photos please!

40 1,166
 06-10-2015, 07:42 PM
User Info
(06-10-2015, 07:33 PM)shevek Wrote: ^^^ what they said. photos please!

And again for the photos!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

82 2,210
 06-10-2015, 08:18 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Not only does Vladimir post contribution on TSN, he is one of our great Artisans

178 23,809
 06-11-2015, 03:21 AM
User Info
(06-10-2015, 07:10 PM)celestino Wrote:
(06-10-2015, 05:55 PM)chamm Wrote: You're just teasing us by posting this without pictures! Wink

+1 I don't see any photos!  Biggrin

+4 
Photos - Or- it didn´t happen! Smile

21 1,175
 06-11-2015, 03:44 AM
User Info
Well, I used my brush this morning and can now report that it exceeds my expectations! While the lathering did cause the loss of several bristles from the knot, the brush did not have any funky smell as is the basis for complaint by many wet shavers. It has been my understanding that a boar bristle brush must be used several times when new to "wash out" the animal smell. Such appears not the case for Vladimir's products. I used Tabac soap, and I worked the lather up in a bowl prior to application to my face. It took longer for this bristle brush to work up a creamy lather -- a little more than twice the time had I used one of my badger hair brushes -- but this is not a concern for me because working the lather is a substantial part of the "fun" when wet shaving. If you don't have the time, then use cream or aerosol canned product. The bristles massaged my skin ever so nicely when applying the lather; and I had more than enough product to complete most comfortably two passes. Now I remember the sensations experienced when I wore younger man's clothes in using a boar brush. Do I prefer boar over badger brushes? Too soon to make such conclusion although I LOVE porterhouse steaks but don't want to eat it everyday (assuming I could afford to do so). Similarly, I LOVE roasted leg of lamb; but also not on a daily basis. I am most happy that I made the purchase of this brush because I intend to include use of same in my weekly rotation. Incidentally, I initially thought Vladimir's sale price for this brush a little too much -- it was purchased for $65.00 (which, with shipping, totalled $71.00) -- when one can purchase the Omega 48 Pro for one-third the cost; but I tell you the handcrafted handle is worth every penny! The contours of the handle provide perfect placement for my fingers; the brush is both perfectly balanced and weighted; and the appearance is beyond description. When my son has time -- hopefully this evening -- he will teach me how to post pictures of this brush on this web. (I am still a dinosaur when dealing with matters involving computers.) In the interim, I say a big THANK YOU to Vladimir, and I recommend him highly to you whom I have not yet put to sleep by the length of this posting.

0 43
 06-11-2015, 04:24 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Congrats on the brush but have to agree with the other community members- pics! Or at the very least a quick thumbnail sketch  Wink On a more serious note, if you click on the black box with the white "i" you can upload a pic via Imugr within your response.

2 1,180