06-11-2015, 07:20 AM
User Info
Hola,

What is the recommended "Post Shave Care" when you get a deep weeper / cut while shaving? 

Silly me, being in a rush (sigh, I know), I rushed yesterday's shave, and knicked myself something fierce. Nothing requiring stitches Smile, but the blood was flowing (on my right cheek).

So if I may ask all you shave vets:

* What's the proper care in this case?
* Do you stop the bleeding by applying pressure with a tissue / cotton swab, and then...
* Still apply Aftershave? Or bandage it up and apply Aftershave around the rest of the non-cut area?

Thanks!

3 298
 06-11-2015, 07:23 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Tools of the trade for me, in order of severity of the wound:
Witch hazel
Alum block
Liquid bandage
Real bandage

Depending on how deep it is, I generally do use balm.
Good luck!

60 843
 06-11-2015, 07:36 AM
User Info
Stop the bleeding and do not make it wet again for some time, so it can bond.

as I do it in  medical practice.
For deeper cuts: steristrips, superglue, or even stitches

21 1,175
 06-11-2015, 07:53 AM
User Info
I haven't cut myself badly on my face/neck since I used my first Kamisori over 3 years ago, but I would use alum or a styptic pencil while applying pressure along with a tissue if needed, until it stops.
If you really want a good coagulator, Cayenne Pepper works very well.
Good luck.

83 21,077
 06-11-2015, 08:11 AM
User Info
Alum, tissue and lots of swearing Wink Careful with the aftershave for a few days  Tongue

3 4,501
 06-11-2015, 10:03 AM
User Info
I may sound a bit odd, but I let it bleed while I finish my shave. I'm a rather rough looking individual, so scars aren't of a huge concern to me. I just use a paper towel or something of that sort after I've rinsed my face well and apply pressure until it stops bleeding. No aftershave/alcohol on it though, as that damages the living cells exposed to the air. After it clots, apply what you like, just avoid the area.

4 63
 06-11-2015, 10:20 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
My vote is for lots of cold water, then witch hazel, then cold water, then a styptic pencil. Don't shave that area for a day or two.

7 2,151
 06-11-2015, 02:06 PM
User Info
Thanks all! Great advice. Smile

I ended up:

1. Letting it bleed while I finished up my 3rd Pass LOL (had to finish up the shave).
2. Washing it with cold water and Witch Hazel.
3. Using Alum Block (burned like hell). But it kept bleeding.
4. Held a cotton swab on it for a minute to stop the bleeding.
5. Lightly applied some Krampert's Finest FROSTBITE to whole face including very light dabbing on the weeper (clearly not a good idea from what you all said - I won't next time).

I think I was so befuddled and upset at myself for rushing (and causing the deep weeper) that I wasn't thinking it would be good to plaster a big ol' Bandaid on my cheek (and get the rest of my nicely shaved cheek stuck w/ the Bandaid adhesive).

Thanks.

3 298
 06-11-2015, 02:51 PM
User Info
I made a mistake with a straight and it ended up sinking into my chin lol. It bled a lot. Styptic pencil didn't help at all after 3 or 4 tries, so I just let it bleed for a few minutes as I let cold water run over the cut. I eventually had to use super glue to seal her up. I still have the scar from it and it was 100% my fault. I'm not big on drs or hospitals so no stitches for me . Luckily super glue did the trick. Another thing to invest in and this is for major cuts but its good to have around is quick clot. Its a powder used by the military to stop bleeding. I was cut on my wrist not too long ago and it got the artery. Thankfully quik clot stopped it enough for me to get to the hosoital. That along with gauze.

3 1,356
 06-11-2015, 03:19 PM
User Info
all bleeding stops.....eventually Wink

0 80
 06-11-2015, 07:04 PM
User Info
Google for a product called Nick Relieve.  After the application of cold water, alum, witch hazel, doesn't stop the bleeding.  Apply the nick relieve  styptic powder.   A show stopper.

0 123
 07-10-2015, 02:55 PM
User Info
If in future you nick yourself when shaving don't continue with another pass.  Rinse off, apply some pressure to get it to stop bleeding, apply some alum or witch hazel and then if it is a really deep cut then take a day tor two off from shaving to let it heal.  Most important don't fill it with goo of any kind (e.g. Oils or aftershave)...let it air dry and form a scab...and let it heal.

0 43
 07-10-2015, 04:37 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
My barber gave me this stuff  [Image: MfYyb8R.jpg]- he's been in business for over 50 years, swears by it.  And it works way better than a styptic.  It's a powder that you use a wet fingertip to dab on the cut.  

44 473
 07-13-2015, 04:58 PM
User Info
(07-10-2015, 04:37 PM)garyg Wrote: My barber gave me this stuff  [Image: MfYyb8R.jpg]- he's been in business for over 50 years, swears by it.  And it works way better than a styptic.  It's a powder that you use a wet fingertip to dab on the cut.  

This stuff is great, then a little tp. Don't forget you have it on;-)

eta, you can also use a wet qtip instead of the finger.

2 546