06-12-2015, 11:47 AM
User Info
When I got back to wet shaving the first video I watched for DE and Straight razor shaving was GeoFatBoy's.  Great instruction, filming and he actually shaves his whole face and has a full 3 day growth of tough beard.  He showed so many different types of equipment it was helpful in choosing what to buy.  Then I watched Lynn from Straight Razor Design and his straight razor video was first rate.  I then started to see other videos done by guys who have a beard like a peach or guys shaving only their cheeks and neck.  Let's see you shave the tough parts, the upper lip and chin.  That with their attempts at humor or social commentary was not only annoying but not informative.  What videos have you found to be a real help in finding the proper razors,  products or techniques?

6 161
 06-12-2015, 11:49 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
They don't make them like they used to.

102 18,552
 06-12-2015, 11:57 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When it comes to straight razors, you mentioned the two I recommend.

Like you said, there are others but I don't have time to watch a 20-30 minute shave and info commercial.

175 23,752
 06-12-2015, 12:17 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Early on I watched the Lynn videos. It was enough inspiration to get me started. I think time in front of the mirror shaving your own face is the best investment.

59 4,385
 06-12-2015, 12:18 PM
User Info
I used to watch geofatboy, I quit watching then as I view his videos more as a product pitch and a way to plug his business more than a how to video or a review.

I do agree and I find it laughable to see guys using an R41 and have hundreds if not thousands of dollars in shave gear,then they come on and talk about their 5 day growth and you can't even see a moustache.Lol

There are some good videos out there, but take them for what they are worth. I don't care who you are or how many products you've tried nobody can tell you what's best for your face.

I like Mantic59, seems like an honest guy and his videos are to the point. PaulHFilms is a guy from england that shaves with a lot of different gear. Nick Shaves does a lot of gear as well,but he just like anyone else has his preferences of his best and st times he cab be a little biased IMO.

Mad scientist of wetshaving seems like an honest guy and I enjoy his videos.

3 1,356
 06-12-2015, 12:29 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I also have found Michael Freedbergs vids worth watching.

Bob

0 1,694
 06-12-2015, 01:10 PM
User Info
Paul/AZHawk via YouTube. He always seems to have the brush-of-the-moment I'm interested in, and watching it in action adds perspective.

29 1,776
 06-13-2015, 12:33 PM
User Info
I started with Mark's/ Mantic59's videos as they were very informative and entertaining!

82 21,056
 06-14-2015, 02:28 AM
User Info
I must admit I like Shave the Man videos probably because Con is Australian and he mainly answers questions rather than just always pitch products.

Brendan

0 28
 06-14-2015, 08:25 AM
User Info
The best I ever saw was Jarod's from The Superior Shave multi-pass video. Incredibly aggressive passes that each took around 20 secs. Unfortunately some company was using it without his permission so he had to take it down. Hopefully he will do another.

0 17
 06-17-2015, 09:24 PM
User Info
Even though he has a goatee, Anthony Esposito, The Stallion, is the best method Straight razor shaver I have ever seen.

The most rhythmic natural gifted straight razor shaver imo is SoSharpDavid. Effortless, fast & just so natural looking straight shaving technique. 

I agree watching the baby faced very light bearded guys making razor videos makes me laugh a bit inside  Biggrin

They can't help it, but watching them shave, and the end result after 2-3 passes looks like the start, just isn't right looking. Something is wrong. Especially one chap that only uses synthetics brushes, and one chap that closed his channel because he was inspired by The Stallion and wanted to only straight shave comes to my mind. They have very very light beard, if any at all.

My favorite still is Geo Fatboy.

24 5,842
 06-18-2015, 01:44 AM
User Info
Aside from the popular ones (Geofatboy, Mantic, Nickshaves) I like watching Magnus Gabrielsson shave with a straight, he's got an awesome collection of razors and products and i like his music they go very well with his videos. He's got very good technique and he actually demonstrates shaving the harder areas with a straight (Chin, moustache area) where as some other videos don't. Also like PaulHFilms, you can tell the guy really enjoys shaving and is always so enthusiastic about it.

7 783
 06-18-2015, 05:03 PM
User Info
I'm partial to Nick Shaves, Chris Bailey (TSE), and Busta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 345
 06-18-2015, 08:18 PM
User Info
(06-18-2015, 01:44 AM)AndyC Wrote: Aside from the popular ones (Geofatboy, Mantic, Nickshaves) I like watching Magnus Gabrielsson shave with a straight, he's got an awesome collection of razors and products and i like his music they go very well with his videos. He's got very good technique and he actually demonstrates shaving the harder areas with a straight (Chin, moustache area) where as some other videos don't. Also like PaulHFilms, you can tell the guy really enjoys shaving and is always so enthusiastic about it.

Agreed on PaulHFilms.
What a pleasant genuine honest chap. A real Gentleman. The next door fellow.
He has a true heart for traditional wet shaving.

24 5,842
 06-18-2015, 08:20 PM
User Info
(06-18-2015, 08:18 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(06-18-2015, 01:44 AM)AndyC Wrote: Aside from the popular ones (Geofatboy, Mantic, Nickshaves) I like watching Magnus Gabrielsson shave with a straight, he's got an awesome collection of razors and products and i like his music they go very well with his videos. He's got very good technique and he actually demonstrates shaving the harder areas with a straight (Chin, moustache area) where as some other videos don't. Also like PaulHFilms, you can tell the guy really enjoys shaving and is always so enthusiastic about it.

Agreed on PaulHFilms.
What a pleasant genuine honest chap. A real Gentleman. The next door fellow.
He has a true heart for traditional wet shaving.
+1 on paulh, I cannot watch shavebusta personally ,and these are just my opinions but I can't take shave advice from someone who doesn't have a beard. No offense to the guy as he seems like a nice guy.

3 1,356
 06-30-2015, 02:42 AM
User Info
I think actually watching the content and listening to what the guys are saying could clear up some of these misconceptions.  In my case I do not shoot close to the camera and not with hi res equipment,  so you cannot see my beard (which salt & pepper).  Just two weeks ago I got close on one of the videos just to show folks.  If you have questions about something just ask, or actually watch the content.  It beats making inaccurate statements based on assumptions.  

olisten.  [Image: szKV7Op.jpg]

19 881
 06-30-2015, 05:32 PM
  • PR82
  • California, US
User Info
Uncle Dubya has the best videos around and he actually has his own opinion unlike most of these shave videos put out by these wannabe shave celebs. His videos are long but worth it because he talks about a lot of stuff shaving wise and his personal life.

7 298
 07-01-2015, 02:50 AM
User Info
(06-30-2015, 05:32 PM)PR82 Wrote: Uncle Dubya has the best videos around and he actually has his own opinion unlike most of these shave videos put out by these wannabe shave celebs. His videos are long but worth it because he talks about a lot of stuff shaving wise and his personal life.

Who are you referring to specifically Paul?

19 881
 07-01-2015, 05:40 AM
User Info
No offense to anyone who produces them, but I personally find most of them way too long, not very polished and a lot of time, very weird and unprofessional. Not that they can't be fun, but most of them are just annoying.

I've tried skimming through a few but can't do it any more. The one posted above is 40 freaking minutes....I'm not going to spend almost an hour watching someone else shave, no way, no how, forget it. Some are 15 minutes just talking about the product which makes no sense to me.

One even had a guy talk about peeing in the shower and other goofball shenanigans so I won't even start in on what else I don't like about most of them. Didn't one guy also point a gun at the camera in one of them?

Mantic can't be beat. He's professional, informative, funny and the only ones I'd even consider clicking on any more.

8 2,718
 07-01-2015, 06:25 PM
  • PR82
  • California, US
User Info
(07-01-2015, 02:50 AM)TSEvangelist Wrote:
(06-30-2015, 05:32 PM)PR82 Wrote: Uncle Dubya has the best videos around and he actually has his own opinion unlike most of these shave videos put out by these wannabe shave celebs. His videos are long but worth it because he talks about a lot of stuff shaving wise and his personal life.

Who are you referring to specifically Paul?

Names are not needed

7 298