06-12-2015, 02:08 PM
User Info
Good afternoon, Gentlemen.  Here are some photos of a new travel brush I made for a fellow on another forum.  This brush is hand-crafted from screwbean mesquite.  Dense and dimensionally stable, screwbean mesquite is found only in the U.S. desert southwest and is one of the rarest woods indigenous to North America.  Finished in three coats of hand-rubbed marine spar urethane, this finish is one of only two finishes found by a Michigan truck bed manufacturer that would stand up to months of northern Michigan's harsh weather.  This brush features a 21mm Pur-tech knot set at 47mm loft.  It measures 112mm o.a.l. closed and 150mm in the working position.

While this particular brush is already sold, I am happy to make others on request.  I'm opening this brush to Shave Nook members for a week before announcing on other forums and placing it in my web store.  I'm currently pricing at $98.50, which includes conus shipping and a one-year written warranty. Your new travel brush will come gift-boxed with complete usage & care instructions together with a signed Certificate of Authenticity.  Allow 2 - 3 weeks turnaround time.  I only bill after you have approved photos of your completed brush.

Please note:  because wood grains and colors vary, your brush may be slightly different.  I guarantee you will be amazed.

Send me a PM if interested...and thanks for your consideration.

[Image: r7ii5SP.jpg]

[Image: YdAxkZd.jpg]
[Image: FyV5i9e.jpg]

2 610
 06-12-2015, 02:20 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Very Nice Brad! Wonderful design.

59 4,492
 06-12-2015, 02:25 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Unique : nicely done, Brad.

102 18,650
 06-12-2015, 03:02 PM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
....wow........the nicest travel brush i've seen.........

45 1,066
 06-12-2015, 04:16 PM
User Info
Bravo for your innovation and craftsmanship.

0 237
 06-12-2015, 04:27 PM
User Info
That's a beautiful and unique interpretation of the concept Brad.

50 6,071
 06-12-2015, 04:47 PM
User Info
Beautiful brush.  As much as I travel, this would fit nicely in my Rawlings Baseball Glove Leather shaving bag.

David

19 101
 06-12-2015, 05:58 PM
User Info
This design is unique. Wonderful. Congratulations

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 06-13-2015, 11:41 AM
  • Eskimo
  • Artisan & Custom Shaving Equipment
User Info
Well done, Brad

4 346
 06-13-2015, 01:46 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
That is the awesome! Well done Brad.

28 1,622
 06-13-2015, 03:39 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very nice.  I like the o-ring idea.

178 23,808
 06-13-2015, 04:41 PM
User Info
I appreciate your kind words, gentlemen. 

Johnny, to your point:  I experimented with several methods of attaching/securing the handle to the case before settling on the O-ring concept.  The first thought (obviously) was to chase threads into the wood.  I do that with my salt shaker/pepper mill combinations.  But I decided against that approach simply because wooden threads require a certain amount of care, which I couldn't be sure they'd receive--particularly when the user's in a rush to catch a plane (for example.) 

Another approach was to forget about wood and go with a resin/acrylic like what Simpson and some others used to do.  The challenge though  is that acrylics are murder on (very expensive) thread chasers.  (Yes, I thought employing a tap & die set, but acrylics must be cut very gently, otherwise they "chip out" badly.  A metal lathe solves that problem, and could be employed in the future if demand warrants it.)

The next thought was to use a threaded brass or steel collar.  That would certainly work, but the aesthetics wouldn't be great.

That brings us full circle to the O-ring solution.  Fitting the O-ring by hand is a bit tricky, since we need the fit to be firm but not so tight that things won't come apart until we want them to.  And given modern production materials, longevity should be good; and if replacement is ever required, we're looking at a 2-minute job and 39 cents for a new O-ring.

2 610