06-12-2015, 03:54 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

We find life's big and small pleasures everywhere. This Wolfman stainless steel double edge razor set is one of the many small ones in my life. I thought I would share it with you. The stands are also Wolfman.

The razors are the WR1-SB on the left and the WR1-OC on the right, with the WRH2 handle on both.

These Wolfman stainless steel razors have impeccable fit and finish, machine made in Canada, and they are superb shavers. Aggressive? Of course. No, not as aggressive as the Muhle R41. Nothing is as aggressive as the R41; that's just a mean razor.

The Wolfman are a pleasure to use. They are well balanced, with a comfortable handle that has ideal knurling, and the shaves are as close as one can get. They are aggressive, yes, but at the same time silky.

[Image: p2UHmfn.jpg]

150 3,034
 06-12-2015, 03:56 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I agree. My top three razors were all made by James. Just an unbelievable craftsman.

22 828
 06-12-2015, 04:03 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Right you are, Craig, about James. We exchanged many e-mails, and had many fine conversations. He always responded quickly and was most helpful. What a sweet man. A gentleman. And a craftsman of the highest level.

150 3,034
 06-12-2015, 04:23 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Agreed on all points.

102 18,652
 06-12-2015, 04:27 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
I'm on his waiting list and my spot is coming up within a week very excited to be able to own one. Going with the straight bar and handle #3

23 598
 06-12-2015, 04:35 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Thanks for posting the report Obie. I'm very much looking forward to ordering one!

59 4,497
 06-12-2015, 05:59 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Which do you like better, the SB or OC?  I'm on the waiting list and I'm trying to decide.  I'm leaning towards the OC.  That #2 is a nice looking handle.  I'm thinking about the #4 or #6.

3 561
 06-12-2015, 06:08 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I luckily picked up the BBS-1 #23 (made by James) and the FANTASTIC DC (SB/OC) which gives me Nirvana...also have the same handle and the stand.....couldn,t be happier....I have a few hundred others mind you but in honesty I am done....will never buy another razor......(creams and a/s probably but no more razors)......ever..never and probably never ever.

6 2,028
 06-12-2015, 06:42 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(06-12-2015, 05:59 PM)DayMan Wrote: Which do you like better, the SB or OC?  I'm on the waiting list and I'm trying to decide.  I'm leaning towards the OC.  That #2 is a nice looking handle.  I'm thinking about the #4 or #6.

DayMan,
I find the SB and OC somewhat similar in the shave. Both are aggressive and both superb shavers. What's also interesting about these razors is the shave head's low profile. iKon, Above the Tie, Weber and some other razors have a much higher profile. I can easily compare the shave head's low profile to that of the Feather. Of course, the Feather and the Wolfman are miles apart, both superb razors in their own category. The feel of the SB and the OC is different on the face, since one is straight bar and the other an open comb. I don't think you can go wrong with either razor. Realize, though, that these are aggressive razors, but silky smooth, nevertheless.

150 3,034
 06-13-2015, 06:02 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Thanks for the info. Based on what you said and what I've already read, I think I'll go ahead and ask to have the gap reduced from the start. I  have a  Feather AS-D2 and I just sold my Weber and bought an ATT M2.  The Weber was a little too aggressive for me to use daily. I have only used the ATT once, but it seems to be equal to the Weber efficiency wise, but it's milder for me. I'm not sure if I can use it every day like I can the Feather. I need a little more time with it.

3 561
 06-13-2015, 06:39 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(06-13-2015, 06:02 AM)DayMan Wrote: Thanks for the info. Based on what you said and what I've already read, I think I'll go ahead and ask to have the gap reduced from the start. I  have a  Feather AS-D2 and I just sold my Weber and bought an ATT M2.  The Weber was a little too aggressive for me to use daily. I have only used the ATT once, but it seems to be equal to the Weber efficiency wise, but it's milder for me. I'm not sure if I can use it every day like I can the Feather. I need a little more time with it.

DayMan,

Yes, if the Weber is too aggressive for you to use every day, then asking James to tame the shave head on the Wolfman a wee bit is a good idea. In my experience, the Wolfman razors are more aggressive than the Weber. If I conclude that the razors are just too aggressive for me, too, I will ask James to tame the shave heads. Or order new and milder shave heads and sell the ones I have. Either way, these razors are created by consummate artist and craftsman and worth having.

150 3,034
 06-13-2015, 07:29 AM
User Info
Very very nice. I have the WRH2 handle on my Mongoose and I love it. I need to get on the list to get one of these but I'm having a hard time deciding on the SB or the OC. Can anyone weigh in on differences pertaining to the difference in James OC and SB.

49 356
 06-13-2015, 11:36 AM
User Info
Use them well Obie. Arguably the finest made machined razors in the world.  I have a brass oc in transit.

121 13,124
 06-13-2015, 12:07 PM
User Info
(06-13-2015, 07:29 AM)jhawlz Wrote: Very very nice. I have the WRH2 handle on my Mongoose and I love it. I need to get on the list to get one of these but I'm having a hard time deciding on the SB or the OC. Can anyone weigh in on differences pertaining to the difference in James OC and SB.

James had no problem with me getting on the list without specifying a head type until just before purchase. I read in one thread somewhere that there will be a price increase next month for those not already in the queue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 34
 06-13-2015, 01:12 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
Thank you for the kind words. Indeed, the Wolfman razors are worth the wait.

150 3,034
 06-13-2015, 01:59 PM
User Info
IMO those are some of the best looking handles I've seen on a razor.

3 1,356
 06-13-2015, 02:18 PM
User Info
I received the BBS-1 which is also produced by James, is really an extraordinary job. Meanwhile I'm waiting for him to send my order.

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 06-14-2015, 06:12 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Hi Obie, great razors. What handle length did you go with on the WRH2? That is also the handle I would like to go with and was planning on the standard 90mm but wanted to get your thoughts based on experience.

Thanks!

2 1,180
 06-14-2015, 08:14 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Kevin,

Thank you for the kind words. Both of my Wolfman razors have the WRH2 handle. Pictures don't do these razors justice; they are dazzling in looks and workmanship. I can't give enough praise for the artistry and craftsmanship James displays in his work.

The Weber was one of the finest shavers ever made. I truly believe that, and regret it was discontinued. For me, it would have been the perfect DE razor were it not for the crude finish. I still have my polished Weber and love it despite the finish. The Wolfman, also one of the finest DE razors ever made, in my estimation, anyway, shines way above the Weber in its incredible finish. 

Incidentally, after numerous shaves with the open and closed comb, I feel both shave about the same, although the feel on the face is different because of their distinct characteristic. 

I also like the stands James produced for his razors; they are simple and functional, as well as quite handsome.

150 3,034
 06-14-2015, 10:14 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(06-14-2015, 08:14 AM)Obie Wrote: Kevin,

Thank you for the kind words. Both of my Wolfman razors have the WRH2 handle. Pictures don't do these razors justice; they are dazzling in looks and workmanship. I can't give enough praise for the artistry and craftsmanship James displays in his work.

The Weber was one of the finest shavers ever made. I truly believe that, and regret it was discontinued. For me, it would have been the perfect DE razor were it not for the crude finish. I still have my polished Weber and love it despite the finish. The Wolfman, also one of the finest DE razors ever made, in my estimation, anyway, shines way above the Weber in its incredible finish. 

Incidentally, after numerous shaves with the open and closed comb, I feel both shave about the same, although the feel on the face is different because of their distinct characteristic. 

I also like the stands James produced for his razors; they are simple and functional, as well as quite handsome.
Good feedback Obie and thanks! Which length handle did you go with on the WRH2? 90mm?

I have been on an OC kick lately so was leaning toward the OC but was going to ask James if he could include both SB and OC base plates at additional cost with a single cap. Will see. If not will probably go with the OC version, particularly based on your perspective.

2 1,180