06-14-2015, 09:15 AM
User Info
Hey guys been looking at a merkur progress today and just wanted to get your guys opinions on it and maybe a comparison to some razors that shave similar.

Normally I enjoy aggressive razors like the r41 but I have a dozen or so razors as is including both merkur slants,a futur, Edwin Jaggers, old school gillettes(couple of slims super speeds and a tech),fatip,cadet,etc.

I have a love hate relationship with the futur as I get good shaves with it but the size of the head make me haft to use another razor for my moustache area. How aggressive is the progress compared to say the future or even a slant? Any info will help and is much appreciated.

3 1,356
 06-14-2015, 09:37 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Cannot go wrong with the Progress...very effective...easy to adjust...smaller safer head and gives you unlimited adjustability......you will sell your Futur after using the Progress....just remember to line up the triangle with the notch as your instructions will show.

6 2,044
 06-14-2015, 12:00 PM
User Info
(06-14-2015, 09:37 AM)Harvey Wrote: Cannot go wrong with the Progress...very effective...easy to adjust...smaller safer head and gives you unlimited adjustability......you will sell your Futur after using the Progress....just remember to line up the triangle with the notch as your instructions will show.

Ditto

54 332
 06-14-2015, 12:56 PM
User Info
(06-14-2015, 09:37 AM)Harvey Wrote: Cannot go wrong with the Progress...very effective...easy to adjust...smaller safer head and gives you unlimited adjustability......you will sell your Futur after using the Progress....just remember to line up the triangle with the notch as your instructions will show.

yep Smile

21 1,175
 06-14-2015, 03:51 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
The flagship of my fleet.  I confirm what has already been said. [Image: vGRJCxU.jpg]

0 250
 06-14-2015, 04:05 PM
User Info
(06-14-2015, 03:51 PM)Asafiev Wrote: The flagship of my fleet.  I confirm what has already been said. [Image: vGRJCxU.jpg]
I know that's a progress but what or who did the mods,that thing is nice!

3 1,356
 06-14-2015, 04:22 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
Otis376,  this razor was avaliable from Bull Goose Shaving Supplies.  It was a special commission but hopefully Phil will get more in.

The guy who made it is Bob Quinn at Elite Razor.

0 250
 06-14-2015, 09:00 PM
User Info

+1  This is a fantastic shaver, Otis! You won't regret buying one!  Thumbsup

83 21,109
 06-15-2015, 03:06 PM
User Info
So I bought a progress just now lol. After using my futur last night and once again slicing my moustache area again and still having hairs left I cursed the futur out loud and let it know I was going to enjoy busting it in the driveway for all the blood and razor burn its gave me. My neck is still tore up from the futur. I did get a few great shaves out of the futur , but more often than not I bled and got some nast razor burn. Funny thing is I got the long handled progress for 5 cents cheaper than the short, so I took that as a sign and bought it.

3 1,356
 06-15-2015, 03:14 PM
User Info
(06-15-2015, 03:06 PM)Otis375 Wrote: So I bought a progress just now lol. After using my futur last night and once again slicing my moustache area again and still having hairs left I cursed the futur out loud and let it know I was going to enjoy busting it in the driveway for all the blood and razor burn its gave me. My neck is still tore up from the futur. I did get a few great shaves out of the futur , but more often than not I bled and got some nast razor burn. Funny thing is I got the long handled progress for 5 cents cheaper than the short, so I took that as a sign and bought it.

Thumbup well done, my friend. Smile

21 1,175
 06-15-2015, 08:21 PM
User Info
(06-15-2015, 03:06 PM)Otis375 Wrote: So I bought a progress just now lol. After using my futur last night and once again slicing my moustache area again and still having hairs left I cursed the futur out loud and let it know I was going to enjoy busting it in the driveway for all the blood and razor burn its gave me. My neck is still tore up from the futur. I did get a few great shaves out of the futur , but more often than not I bled and got some nast razor burn. Funny thing is I got the long handled progress for 5 cents cheaper than the short, so I took that as a sign and bought it.

Congratulations, Otis and good luck with the razor!  Smile

83 21,109
 06-16-2015, 10:31 AM
User Info
(06-15-2015, 08:21 PM)celestino Wrote:

Congratulations, Otis and good luck with the razor!  Smile

Thanks a lot, just got the shipping notification it should be here tomorrow. I think I've read every link from google about the progress and here's what I get from my research. The progress is compared to the vintage Gillette's a lot. Having a few of those myself if the shave is similar we had a winner.

Also seems the progress is favored over the futur a lot too,which is great for me The less the progress shaves like a futur the better for me.

ALso read there are a few quircks with the progress but that's OK. I don't really care if my numbers don't align like anybody else's as long as I can tune it for what is best for me I'll deal with it. I've had a few products people have had problems with but I like to tinker with things so I may tinker a bit,possibly replace the adjustment knob. For me though the plastic knob doesn't look that bad its a nice retro look IMHO. As long as its nothing like a futur I believe I will enjoy it.

3 1,356
 06-17-2015, 10:22 AM
User Info
The geometry of the shaving head is nothing like the Futur. 

To me the standard Progress is balanced poorly; it's head heavy.  The long-handled version should be better in that regard. 

It shaves smoothly and you can choose from very mild to quite aggressive.  It never really feels harsh to me at any setting.  I think you will enjoy it quite a bit.

Be sure to give us your thoughts after you've had a chance to try it out a few times.

2 1,548
 06-17-2015, 06:51 PM
User Info
The long handled progress IMO is balanced well. It is very in the head than most other razors but then long handle is well balanced and it resulted in a great first shave. The length is nearly soot on to the futur butbthebhead geometry fits in tight places perfectly almost as good as the Edwin Jagger which IMO is one of the easiest razors to maneuver .

I was scared the progress was going to be too mild for my liking. First pass was on 3 2nd on 4 and third I dialed it back to 3. Alum didn't sting that bad. I've boxed up my other razors and I'm going to give the progress a go for at least a month (yes its that good).IMHO the progress beats the futur hands down in every way you can compare them. Well worth the 65 bucks and change.

3 1,356
 06-17-2015, 07:01 PM
User Info
Congratulations Otis!

61 3,796
 06-17-2015, 08:20 PM
User Info
(06-17-2015, 07:01 PM)hrfdez Wrote: Congratulations Otis!

+1   Thumbsup

83 21,109