06-14-2015, 09:49 AM
User Info
Gentlemen, after a lot of looking/researching I pulled the trigger on a restored vintage straight.  Now I'm looking for a decent strop to learn with before dropping cash on a top quality piece.  My thinking right now is to find a 3-inch strop in reasonable shape that isn't too nicked up; hopefully not more than about $40.00.

2 610
 06-14-2015, 10:15 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Illinois / Fromm 827 is 2 1/2 would make a great first strop. The 827 is not to be confused with the 127 , they are quite different. The 827 sells for $36 on Amazon. The only thing to do to it after you get one is to take a lint free rag and wipe the stropping surface down with neat foot oil. Later after you get another strop , the 827 can even be used in combination with it.

15 541
 06-14-2015, 10:26 AM
  • RobinK
  • I like things that work.
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
The Illinois strop will work. Personally, I would go for one of Straight Razor Designs's entry level strops, the Natural in particular. I have been using it with success for several years, and it is a massive step up from the Illinois in terms of craftsmanship and feel. Additionally, if you want to upgrade to a different type of leather or fabric later, you can buy replacement strips for comparatively little money. My personal go-to strop for years has been the extra long English Bridle one. Not to mention the fact that if you heavily nick the Illinois (or any other monolithic strop), you will have to buy a full strop instead of just the damaged component. 

So while the Illinois is seemingly cheaper, the SRD strop will be cheaper and more interesting over time.

0 197
 06-14-2015, 11:17 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
SRD strops are very good. 3 inch latigo is around $60 and you can replace the leather if you ruin it. You can also get a Tony Miller and a practice strop then you will have a great strop and one to learn on for about $95. 

In the $40 range check out big daddy strops. They are affordable and perform well. They can be found new on eBay or on their website starshaving. 

Good luck.

7 450