06-17-2012, 12:12 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1240453.JPG?m=1339912960]

O maybe I should say Truefitt and Hill shaving soap?Or maybe Geo F. Trumper Oxford Blue or Officers and Gentlemen for scuttles?Well,Im basically talking about the same shaving soap,but with different names,different weights,boxes,but the same soap after all.

Lets check them out.

Taylor of Old Bond Street Traditional shaving soap 57g ( for scuttle):

[Image: taylor-old-bond-st-traditional-soap-refi...1339913676]

And this is the 99g shaving soap,which comes wrapped in paper and with the 'TOBS pure aromatics" sticker :

[Image: Taylor_shave_soap.jpg?m=1339913677]

and both shaving soaps have the following ingredients :

[Image: IMG_3009.jpg]

-The Vulfix shaving soap,which comes on a 99g and 57g for scuttle,wrapped in papper and not even a sticker :

[Image: vulfix.jpg?m=1339913923]

And these are its ingredients :

Sodium palmate, potassium palmate, sodium palm kernalate, water, glycerin, potassium palm kernalate, stearic acid, parfum, limeonene, paraffinum liquidum, linalool, isopropyl myristate, BHT, tetrasodium EDTA, sodium chloride, coumarin, geraniol, pentasodium, pentetate.

-This is the old (with parafinum liquidum) Truefitt and Hill shaving soap,which comes on a 99 g refill on a box,wrapped in paper or with the wooden bowl :

[Image: P1240282.JPG?m=1338579164]

And its ingredients are (the new one doesnt have parafinum liquidum)

[Image: 55190345.jpg]

-And these are the Geo F Trumper "Oxford Blue" and "Officers and Gentlemen" shaving soap for scuttles.They come on a 57 g format and with cardboard boxes :

[Image: Trumper%20Oxford%20Blue.jpg?m=1339914379]

[Image: Trumper%20Officer%20and%20Gentlemans.jpg?m=1339914380]

which ingredients are,for what I have been told,the following ones :

Sodium palmate, potassium palmate, sodium palm kernalate, water, glycerin, potassium palm kernalate, stearic acid, parfum, limeonene, paraffinum liquidum, linalool, isopropyl myristate, BHT, tetrasodium EDTA, sodium chloride, coumarin, geraniol, pentasodium, pentetate.

And we also have the John Lewis shaving soap,which comes like the Vulfix shaving soap,wrapped in paper,no sticker and a puck of 99g of soap.Its ingredients are :

Sodium palmate, potassium palmate, sodium palm kernelate, water, glycerin, potassium palm kernelate, stearic acid, parfum, limonene, paraffinum liquidum, linalool, isopropyl myristate, BHT, tetrasodium edta, sodium chloride, coumarin, geraniol, tetrasodium etidronate, pentasodium pentetate.

or the "Vintage Blades" lavender shaving soap,which ingredients are :

Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua, Glycerin, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Stearic Acid, Parfum, Paraffinum Liquidum, , Isopropyl Myristate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Chloride, BHT, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Pentasodium Pentetate, CI77891.
Vintage Blades LLC*::*Shaving Cream & Soap*::*Triple-Milled Shaving Soap in a Wooden Bowl - 3.5 oz./100g. - Vintage Blades Brand

The prices goes from 3 pounds (John Lewis shaving soap) to the 22 dollars that the Truefitt and Hill refill cost,but agai,they are all the same shaving soap,just different format,weight and name,but the same one after all.

[Image: P1240454.JPG?m=1339912980]

I got one of this "no name" or "generic" shaving soap from UJ and its the same than the Truefitt and Hill soap (parafinum liquidum on it) that I got some weeks ago.The scent is the same and the lather,but this one cost 3 pounds (no fancy box but thats ok)

Here with the Truefitt and Hill shaving soap :

[Image: P1240455.JPG?m=1339912960]

This soap has a fresh lavender scent,a little bit spicy,as I like,even like the Cyril R Salter shaving soap,but this one "supposedly" has a different formulation,however it looks the same and the scent is the same.

The Cyril R Salter formulation,is (and again,supposedly) this one :

Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua, Sodium Stearate, Glycerin, Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum, Glycerin, Paraffinum Liquidum, Linalool, Isopropyl Myristate, Aqua, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Chloride, Coumarin, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Geraniol, BHT, Limonene, Citronellol, CI 77891

and cost around 5 pounds,but I wouldnt be surprised if its formulation is the same than the other ones.

Well,the same soap (but maybe the Cyril R Salter) but the same good scent and good performance (if you get the T&H,get it with parafinum liquidum on its formulation) but some are cheaper than others...

86 7,123
 06-17-2012, 12:30 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(06-17-2012, 12:12 PM)Teiste Wrote: The prices goes from 3 pounds (John Lewis shaving soap) to the 22 dollars that the Truefitt and Hill refill cost,but agai,they are all the same shaving soap,just different format,weight and name,but the same one after all.

Hi Teiste

Thanks for the overview of all this different, but same shaving soaps Thumbsup

I can see my mum paying a visit on my behalf to John Lewis (her 2nd favourite high street shop in the UK, behind Marks & Spencer) in the not too distance future Eusa_whistle

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 06-17-2012, 01:43 PM
User Info
I was at John Lewis last year, when I went to London. Instead of picking up the "John Lewi soap" there (I believe it is in fact Vulfix soap, as it was in the same shelves as the Vulfix brushes), I went to T&H and picked up the new version of their soap, that is purely garbage... Angry well, not properly garbage, but a good bath soap...

2 5,527