06-14-2015, 11:51 PM
User Info
I am looking for my first Straight. I know very little about straight razors, but would love to learn how to shave with one. I have been wet shaving with a DE since 2013 and have gotten enough confidence to step it up to the big leagues. 

I'm not looking to spend a fortune but I am willing to spend some money. I do like things of beauty!

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated. Thanks!

46 1,102
 06-15-2015, 02:40 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
After having read similar threads on a number of shaving forums, the general consensus seems to be that if you want to purchase a new Straight, one of the best starter SR's is a Ralph Aust. Not too expensive and should you not acquire a passion for SR's you'll be able to sell it relatively easily.

http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/inde...ts_id=2062

If you however want an antique SR, there are a number of individual sellers on Ebay that undertake restoration work and then sell them off.

Or, you can keep your eye on the classifieds here and pick up one that a member no longer uses.

Choices....

0 403
 06-15-2015, 03:14 AM
User Info
(06-15-2015, 02:40 AM)Thug Wrote: After having read a similar threads on a number of shaving forums, the general consensus seems to be that if you want to purchase a new Straight, one of the best starter SR's is a Ralph Aust. Not too expensive and should you not acquire a passion for SR's you'll be able to sell it relatively easily.

http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/inde...ts_id=2062

If you however want an antique SR, there are a number of individual sellers on Ebay that undertake restoration work and then sell them off.

Or, you can keep your eye on the classifieds here and pick up one that a member no longer uses.

Choices....

Great advice from Tony.  Ralph Aust is a great razor at a decent price, beautiful and great performer.  My advice would be to buy the razor you like so you'll be motivated to learn how to use it.  I used with a DE and a year later switch to straight razor.  I now use it exclusively.  It's has a steep learning curve and more work involved, such as stropping and maintaining the razor but it's a lot of fun.

16 457
 06-15-2015, 03:22 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Any new or vintage SR from a reputably maker with a shave ready edge will do the trick, key being having a shave ready edge. A 5/8 or 6/8 sized blade with a round tip is good to learn on. After that it is basically picking one you like the looks of in your price range.

You will also need  stop to help maintain the blade by stropping it before a shave.

Just so you go into this adventure with eyes wide open and not to discourage you, be aware that getting to be proficient with a SR usually is a fairly long learning curve with some frustrations thrown in for good measure. Once you get through that you will experience a very satisfying way of shaving, at least I did. Good luck.

Bob

0 1,694
 06-15-2015, 05:52 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
All of the above is good advise.  I too highly recommend the Ralf Aust 5/8 round point razor.  A great razor to begin with and one that will last you a lifetime.

As Bob said, a decent strop is a must.

Watch videos, ask questions, and most important, be patient.

175 23,752
 06-15-2015, 03:27 PM
User Info
Thanks everyone! I have been looking at a Boker with 6/8 and round tip, but I may go down the Ralf Aust route with so many good reviews on it. I need to do a little more research before I pull the trigger as this is not a cheap game to get involved in haha. 

Canuck, your advice about buying a SR I like so i'll be motivated to learn how to use it is exactly how I feel which is why I want to purchase a really nice SR for my first. It will surely keep me motivated to learn! 

Off to do some more research.

46 1,102
 06-15-2015, 03:42 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
IMHO, the Aust is a better razor than the Dovo.

175 23,752
 06-15-2015, 05:30 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Three places I know selling new razors with excellent shave ready edges

Straight razor designs. I have purchased 2 Dovos and 2 Austs with great edges particularly on the Dovos 

The classic edge probably the best edges I have received on 2 TIs

The superior shave. I bought a 6/8 Dovo that is one smooth shaver. 

All will give a second free honing. I think the superior shave will hone your razor for life. 

All the advice above is right on. Go slow

7 445
 06-15-2015, 06:54 PM
User Info
(06-15-2015, 05:30 PM)jtmke Wrote: Three places I know selling new razors with excellent shave ready edges

Straight razor designs. I have purchased 2 Dovos and 2 Austs with great edges particularly on the Dovos 

The classic edge probably the best edges I have received on 2 TIs

The superior shave. I bought a 6/8 Dovo that is one smooth shaver. 

All will give a second free honing. I think the superior shave will hone your razor for life. 

All the advice above is right on. Go slow

Thank you for that info! And I completely forgot about the superior shave! Free re-honing and shipping every time is tough to beat.

46 1,102
 06-15-2015, 11:24 PM
User Info
I think I am going to wait for a straight to pop up on BST that peaks my interest. I think I would feel more comfortable buying it off a fellow wet shaver here at the forums then in the wild knowing nothing about straight razors! This is quite a headache searching for the right SR and knowing very little about them. I don't want to get Bamboozled if you will lol. 

I'll just continue to read up on SR and hopefully one will come along soon enough!

46 1,102
 06-16-2015, 12:34 AM
  • RobinK
  • I like things that work.
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
This should get you started: Buying shaving equipment. My personal recommendation would be a starter set from Straight Razor Designs. Should you find out that shaving with a cut-throat razor is not for you, you can easily resell such a set with little financial loss. With a vintage razor (especially one that has been modified, eg by retrofitting scales), there is no way of telling whether you will get you money back. Additionally, buying from a reputable vendor will give you a warranty with regards to material defects...

0 197
 06-16-2015, 01:16 AM
User Info
I actually read up on that article. I saw it in another SR thread. It was a good read and very helpful. Thank you!

46 1,102
 06-16-2015, 07:36 AM
User Info
A Dovo Bismark in acrylic in 6/8 is tough to beat at Jarod's price. http://thesuperiorshave.com/straight_raz...26820.html. You get to pick the exact one. And Jarod ships them with a masterful Coticule edge.

0 17
 06-16-2015, 09:35 AM
User Info
(06-14-2015, 11:51 PM)Ellas318 Wrote: I am looking for my first Straight. I know very little about straight razors, but would love to learn how to shave with one. I have been wet shaving with a DE since 2013 and have gotten enough confidence to step it up to the big leagues. 

I'm not looking to spend a fortune but I am willing to spend some money. I do like things of beauty!

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated. Thanks!

I have a Ralf Aust 5/8 and just bought a 6/8.  Excellent razor that really holds its edge.  I also have a Boker 6/8 Silver Steel which is also nice.  I started straight shaving again about 6 months ago and have purchased my razors from Straight Razor Design.  If your not sure, call them.  They are very helpful.  For a strop, I highly recommend their modular strop.  You get a lot for your money and it's much easier to strop your razors with it then starting with a conventional strop.  Once you get into it you will love shaving with a straight.

6 161
 06-16-2015, 02:51 PM
User Info
All good advice. Most important is to buy from a vendor that does a QC check before shipping them out. That way you know you are getting a shave ready razor with no issues. All manufacturers have been known to ship a few that should not have seen the light of day

3 742
 06-17-2015, 09:33 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Lots of good advice above.  I would however warn you to stay from buying any kind of razor on Ebay.  The Bay is littered with minefields for someone that doesn't know what to look for.  Your best bets are buying something on the shave forums as other members will quickly point out if something is amiss with the razor being sold or the ad or buying new from an established vendor, such as the ones mentioned above.

14 871
 06-17-2015, 11:55 AM
User Info
(06-15-2015, 03:27 PM)Ellas318 Wrote: Thanks everyone! I have been looking at a Boker with 6/8 and round tip, but I may go down the Ralf Aust route with so many good reviews on it. .

I am not even close to an expert, but I have tried on many, many occasions to get into it.  I can't offer any recommendations but the Bokers don't have jimps on the spine, which, as a newbie, was a little tricky for me to hold while learning.

84 1,505
 06-17-2015, 07:02 PM
User Info
The razor should be at least $100 ... Just my opinion but almost anything I've kept has been at least that much... For a more specific recommendation, I'd say drop $160 for a handmade Portland Razor Co. - it'll take a while to get (2 months?), but you're supporting small, American businesses., and you couldn't ask for a finer product. Buy once, buy right! Try a cream, like Geo F. Trumpers. Use a nice badger (suggest a Parker or a Simpsons "wee Scott")... And get a decent strop - I like the draw on my classic shaving one best. Anyway, that combo might all cost you $500, but it's where I'd tell someone who is serious about spending right the first time to start. Everyone's mileage will vary of course, but I think most would agree that's a solid start. Stick with it, go SLOW, read, learn, and you'll be "cutthroat shaving" in no time! Oh, and get a alum block!

Wish you all the very best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 2
 06-17-2015, 07:51 PM
User Info
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I agree with everything and I do want to start off right which is why I haven't made my move yet. 

How many of you guys use a barbers hone? 

I plan on buying only one really nice SR and not another for awhile. I want to have the knowledge to keep this razor in perfect overall condition and understand how to maintain the blades edge. I don't want to spend all this money and have a razor trashed in no time. I am also trying to understand how often maintenance is needed on an SR. For those with barber hones, how often do you use it and does it keep you from having to send your SR in for re-honing a lot longer? 

If this all sounds like gibberish to you guys please correct me. I am not sure if I am making sense here and I just stumbled across this barbers hone like 10 minutes ago so still need to do my research. I really just need to learn how to maintain an SR and then I think I will feel much more comfortable and confident with buying one, particularly a nice one!

46 1,102
 06-17-2015, 08:03 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have been shaving with a straight off and on for over 30-years and I have never honed a razor.  I've always had someone that knew what they were doing to do the honing, I just strop daily.  I usually have my razors honed about every six months if needed.

175 23,752