06-15-2015, 09:14 AM
  • pooking
  • Wishful thinker.
  • Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn
User Info
I am tempted to buy Feather AS-D2. I feel that it RAD starts kicking me. I have Weber which is great, I have Tech that I enjoy as well. I am using Muhle 2013 R41 occasionally...

Will Feather AS-D2 give me some new experience? Please comment if you have/had one. 

7 150
 06-15-2015, 09:19 AM
User Info
Nothing more than what your Tech offers you, really. Unless you want a stainless steel version of the Tech, I wouldn't spend the money on the AS-D2, but YMMV. I just found it extremely mild, especially, compared to the Weber. However, some folks have really enjoyed this shaver. Good luck with your decision.

83 21,077
 06-15-2015, 09:23 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
As a collector...yes indeed...as a shaver..probably not.....It is very well made and kind of like having a PILS...a long expensive road to R.A.D......

6 2,024
 06-15-2015, 09:27 AM
User Info
I too found it too mild so if your RAD really needs a kick, then maybe you should look at the ATT's and you can tryout a different plate or two to find one that works or get on the Wolfman's waiting list and get one of them!  Smile

2 116
 06-15-2015, 09:29 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
This won't help...

There's a MASSDROP currently on the AS-D2 for $147.99

168 1,384
 06-15-2015, 09:36 AM
  • pooking
  • Wishful thinker.
User Info
(06-15-2015, 09:29 AM)Steelman Wrote: This won't help...

There's a MASSDROP currently on the AS-D2 for $147.99

I know... that is why it is so tempting...   Babeando

7 150
 06-15-2015, 09:41 AM
  • pooking
  • Wishful thinker.
User Info
Thank you gentlemen, I will try resist...

7 150
 06-15-2015, 10:02 AM
User Info
I would buy it right now. Exclamation

39 3,919
 06-15-2015, 10:03 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
After I got my Mongoose I wound up selling my ATT,Feather AS-D@ 2 Cobras and a bunch of razors. Now all I own are 2 Mongoose and 1 PILS. I am thoroughly happy wit my razors and do not intended to buy any other Razors. What does that tell you?

68 1,068
 06-15-2015, 10:10 AM
User Info
I love my AS-D2. It is mild feeling but it gives you a DFS. I'd buy it.

1 142
 06-15-2015, 10:15 AM
  • pooking
  • Wishful thinker.
User Info
(06-15-2015, 10:03 AM)Barrylu Wrote: After I got my Mongoose I wound up selling my ATT,Feather AS-D@ 2 Cobras and a bunch of razors. Now all I own are 2 Mongoose and 1 PILS. I am thoroughly happy wit my razors and do not intended to buy any other Razors. What does that tell you?

That tells me that either you needed money to fund Mongoose purchase... or your found your dream razor. How that supposed to help me? Am I happy with what I have... yeah, will AS-D2 make me happier... possibly yes... or no.

BTW I sold my Mongoose, it was great razor, however, I am not sorry for selling it.

7 150
 06-15-2015, 10:23 AM
  • pooking
  • Wishful thinker.
User Info
(06-15-2015, 10:10 AM)gordon55 Wrote: I love my AS-D2. It is mild feeling but it gives you a DFS. I'd buy it.

Gordon, do you have a Gillette Tech? If yes, how does it compare to the AS-D2?

7 150
 06-15-2015, 10:23 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(06-15-2015, 10:15 AM)pooking Wrote:
(06-15-2015, 10:03 AM)Barrylu Wrote: After I got my Mongoose I wound up selling my ATT,Feather AS-D@ 2 Cobras and a bunch of razors. Now all I own are 2 Mongoose and 1 PILS. I am thoroughly happy wit my razors and do not intended to buy any other Razors. What does that tell you?

That tells me that either you needed money to fund Mongoose purchase... or your found your dream razor. How that supposed to help me? Am I happy with what I have... yeah, will AS-D2 make me happier... possibly yes... or no.

BTW I sold my Mongoose, it was great razor, however, I am not sorry for selling it.

Your subject sentence said Please Talk me out of it.I tried to do so without being rude. Unfortunately, you did not succeed in that endeavor.

68 1,068
 06-15-2015, 10:37 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(06-15-2015, 09:19 AM)celestino Wrote: Nothing more than what your Tech offers you, really. Unless you want a stainless steel version of the Tech, I wouldn't spend the money on the AS-D2, but YMMV. I just found it extremely mild, especially, compared to the Weber. However, some folks have really enjoyed this shaver. Good luck with your decision.

I agree with Celestino- the AS-D2 is actually an amazing piece of HW but it is an extremely mild shaver. I will likely never get rid of it but don't find it in my regular rotation.

Great pleasure to hold and they really put a lot of thought into the packaging for the complete picture. The aforementioned price is a good one too.

2 1,180
 06-15-2015, 10:53 AM
User Info
I'm in the same boat as you. I've had my eye on the Feather AS-D2 for years--but I feel that I'm getting close to pulling the trigger. There's really only two more razors that I still need to get: the Feather AS-D2 and the Wolfman. I'm already on the Wolfman waiting list, but something tells me the Feather is also what I want. I've tried the Mongoose and didn't like it. I have the ATT R1 and S1, and neither of them are my perfect razors. For all the people that say that the Feather is too mild, there's a ton more who say it's one of the best razors they've used.

My other problem is that I have a hard time selling razors--even those that aren't my favorites. I have no problems selling soaps or brushes--but I tend to hang onto razors for some reason. Makes having a large collection of stainless razors an expensive proposition!

3 92
 06-15-2015, 10:54 AM
  • pooking
  • Wishful thinker.
User Info
(06-15-2015, 10:23 AM)Barrylu Wrote:
(06-15-2015, 10:15 AM)pooking Wrote:

Your subject sentence said Please Talk me out of it.I tried to do so without being rude. Unfortunately, you did not succeed in that endeavor.
I  am sorry, I am still confused with what you wanted to say. You bought a razor and you sold the rest, now you are happy. And???...

7 150
 06-15-2015, 11:02 AM
  • pooking
  • Wishful thinker.
User Info
(06-15-2015, 10:53 AM)vadim Wrote: I'm in the same boat as you. I've had my eye on the Feather AS-D2 for years--but I feel that I'm getting close to pulling the trigger. There's really only two more razors that I still need to get: the Feather AS-D2 and the Wolfman. I'm already on the Wolfman waiting list, but something tells me the Feather is also what I want. I've tried the Mongoose and didn't like it. I have the ATT R1 and S1, and neither of them are my perfect razors. For all the people that say that the Feather is too mild, there's a ton more who say it's one of the best razors they've used.

My other problem is that I have a hard time selling razors--even those that aren't my favorites. I have no problems selling soaps or brushes--but I tend to hang onto razors for some reason. Makes having a large collection of stainless razors an expensive proposition!

I hear you, Vadim.

I had and sold ATT M2. However, I have no problem selling razors, it would bother me that I have stuff that I do not need/use. 
Thank you for understanding.

7 150
 06-15-2015, 11:04 AM
User Info
My experience with it was that is was very mild and it took 4-5 passes to try to get BBS for me, sold mine after 3-4 shaves. YMMV of course.

102 1,400
 06-15-2015, 12:14 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Pooking,

You should buy the Feather AS D2 — just to experience it. You should also buy the Muhle R41 — just to experience it. The two razors are on the opposite spectrum, one mild and the other aggressive. I have experienced these two razors several times over and decided for myself they are not for me. You will read different opinions on these razors, but in the end, the only opinion that should matter to you is yours — after experiencing these razors. Until you try them yourself, they will always look over your shoulder and whisper in yours ears.

150 3,030
 06-15-2015, 12:25 PM
User Info
I have both the Feather AS-D2 and a Canadian triangle-slot Tech.  If you look at the heads carefully they look very close to identical, but in shaving the razors are quite a bit different, in my opinion.

The Tech gives more blade feel on the face and has more usable angles than does the AS-D2.  The Feather cuts very well if you get it to a certain, precise angle, and it does so without any drama at all.  If my lather is very thick, the AS-D2 will sometimes "lather-plane."  That is to say, it will slide right over the stubble on the lather.  The Tech will almost always cut stubble, regardless of the thickness of the lather. 

The Feather is beautiful and is contructed with very precise tolerances.  It is a pleasure to hold and to use.  I think it traumatizes the face less than any razor I've ever used.

Having said all that, if somebody held a gun to my head and said I had to give up either my Feather AS-D2 or my Canadian pre-war Tech, I would begrudgingly hand them the Feather.

2 1,459