06-17-2012, 01:31 PM
User Info
I have presented before other Limited Editions made by Semogue in the past, just like the LE2009, LE2010 and LE2011 models.

And I thought that very hardly I would make another presentation in the near future... but fate made this brush to come into my hands... but that is a story that I am gonna tell a little later.

But before, a little bit of history...

This was the very first limited edition shaving brush made by Semogue. How was this brush born?

In the year 2008, the idea of making a limited edition brush came up, with horn handle and a silvertip badger knot. The density of the knots was increased, being substantially higher than the traditional Semogue badger models, like the 730 or the 2015. That characteristic was later adopted in the "High Density" models, like the 730HD and the 2015HD.
You can still find some threads about this, like this one on SRP.

Bruno (Leon) was involved in all that process, and certainly knows more about it than me.

A first prototype was made:

[Image: 10986805mt.jpg]

Later, more horn handles arrived to the Semogue factory, in a total of 30 units. This was not only the first limited edition ever made by Semogue, but also the "most limited" one, with only 30 units made. All the process took a little while, because the handles took a long time to arrive - they came only during 2009.

Although the brushes were only ready in 2009, this Limited Edition, the first ever made by Semogue, became known as LE2008.

Here's some photos of the handles, as they arrived to the Semogue factory:

[Image: 10986806ov.jpg]

[Image: 10986811mk.png]

After the brushes were made, here's the presentation photo, with the portuguese flag in the back! Thumbsup Notice the uniqueness of each handle - horn is a material with many colour variations, and each piece is, in fact, unique:

[Image: 10986809vm.png]

[Image: 10986810ae.jpg]

This brushes were sold in 2009, between the members of 4 shaving forums: ShaveMyFace, TheShaveDen, Badger&Blade y StraightRazorPlace at a price of $130 a piece.

And due to the scarcity of this brush, I had lost any hope of ever put my hands on one of them. Only 30 units were made, and rarely you see one of these on the BST sections of the shaving forums.

But sometimes, fate conspires, and some things thought impossible do become possible... and thanks to an excellent member of this forum, that generously has given me the opportunity to own one of this brushes.

After reading a post of mine, here in this forum, at one of the threads concerning another semogue LE brush, Murray (a.k.a. CMur12) contacted me.

Basically, Murray said he preferred the traditional Semogue badger brushes because they have less dense and rounded knots, and that is best suited to his way of lathering. As such, he didn't used this brush very often, which unfortunately, had developed a slight crack on the handle. And so, he would be very happy to see the brush in the hands of someone who appreciate it more - so if I wanted to brush under these conditions, all I had to do is say so, and only had to refund the shipping to Portugal!

Since I got into this world of shaving forums, about two years ago, sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised by the generosity of some friends I've been doing on the road. But this was, without doubt, the most generous gesture I've found so far! Also it is the reason for this thread - not only serves to show the brush, but also to publicly present my thanks to Murray for his generous offer!

I answered that I would not feel comfortable accepting his generous offer, it was too much! But I would be delighted if we made a trade for something that he wanted. But many of us already know Murray; he has his well defined preferences, and a large stock of the items that he prefers! However, we came up with an agreement: he sent me the brush and I bought him an Edwin Jagger DE8911, choosen by him, at an USA supplier, and made it arrive to his home. But I'm fully aware that this was a unequal trade, in which I came out to gain, so I have to thank Murray's generosity.

And now, the brush. Well, I was thinking of taking some photos with another equipment, but while I don't do so, here are these ones. The brush has a horn handle of nearly 55mm height, with a silvertip badger knot, with a loft of ~55mm and a 22mm knot. Photo of the brush, as arrived:

[Image: P1050822.jpg]

The knot is made with "Special Grade Silvertip" badger hair, with a higher density than the traditional models of Semogue, and also a rounded shape. This delivers a much better backbone, much more than the backbone delivered by the traditional Semogue badger models, like the 730. The tips are extremely soft.

[Image: 10986807zn.jpg]

The brush weights a total of 71 g. Notice the various nuances of the horn handle. In fact, I think is the most beautiful material for a handle - in my opinion, and as always, YMMV!

[Image: 10986801iq.jpg]

[Image: 10986802wj.jpg]

[Image: 10986803xj.jpg]

In this photo, you can see the crack that Murray was referring too. It seems to be stable, and it doesn't have the thickness that appears in that photo (I have modified this photo to enhance it, and thus, to show it better). Maybe I have to stabilize that in the future, using cianoacrylate or epoxy, but that seems not to be necessary for now - and obviously, does not affect the performance of the brush!

[Image: 10986804nn.jpg]

The brushes are laser marked with an engraving at the bottom, featuring the number and the year (2009). The engraving seems to have been made on a small layer of resin or epoxy applied to the base. Each brush seems to have been lathed from a single piece of horn. This is brush number 9.

[Image: 10986800bp.jpg]]

A really outstanding brush, and one that I feel fortunate to have in my collection.
once again, my very special thanks to Murray, because the truth is that I am speechless everytime I think of this opportunity that he gave to me.

[Image: 10986808wk.jpg]

Some SOTD photos:

[Image: P1050834.jpg]

[Image: P1060040.jpg]

I hope that you have enjoyed reading this, and I have to say it again:

2 5,511
 06-17-2012, 01:42 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I loved reading this story in foroafeitado,and I enjoyed again here.
Thanks a lot,Oversaturn for the pics and review of this fantastic shaving brush,and to Murray for passing you the brush.
Maybe its time for Semogue to release another brush like this.

86 7,123
 06-17-2012, 01:44 PM
User Info
(06-17-2012, 01:42 PM)Teiste Wrote: Maybe its time for Semogue to release another brush like this.

+1. i love the 2011 LE handles and am hoping they product a 2012 LE and step it up again.

8 2,718
 06-17-2012, 02:03 PM
User Info
Very nice especially the horn handle! Enjoy!

1 2,827
 06-17-2012, 02:09 PM
User Info
Emanuel, what were you thinking? I got the impression that these would soon be available again till I read on.

Now my keyboard is covered with saliva.Angry

2 546
 06-17-2012, 02:11 PM
User Info
that is a beauty of a handle, looks very comfortable and i like that they are all different with various amounts of dark and light grain

8 2,718
 06-17-2012, 02:12 PM
  • Philbo
  • West Midlands, UK
User Info
Fantastic story, what an awesome looking brush, thanks for sharing.

0 62
 06-17-2012, 02:25 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
A beautiful brush for a very deserving person. Thanks for sharing that story with us, and as always the great pictures.

I too hope Semogue is planning on a LE 2012 model. I will not let anymore of these slip through my hands.

173 23,289
 06-17-2012, 02:30 PM
User Info
Emanuel, those are the most beautiful brush photographs that I've ever seen. I am drooling with envy!

3 446
 06-17-2012, 03:24 PM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
More drool over here.

Nice story. I want one!

5 270
 06-17-2012, 03:25 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
What a very nice looking brush.

Thanks for posting up the review and photos. Smile

32 638
 06-17-2012, 03:53 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Emanuel

Great story and a great looking brush Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 06-17-2012, 07:30 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Congrats on getting your dream brush!

0 353
 06-18-2012, 11:10 PM
User Info
beautiful handle!!!!

40 5,830
 06-19-2012, 07:27 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
I hope Semogue produces another LE brush like 2010's. If I was able to purchase a Semogue LE 2010, I would be a very happy person and set!

9 963
 06-19-2012, 08:02 AM
User Info
Beautiful story, Emanuel.
Ahh, to be back in Portugal! i should move back and invite Johnny to stay for a few months. Biggrin

74 20,791
 06-19-2012, 10:28 PM
  • Amzimbo
  • Smooth as a fresh shaven diplomat
  • New Jersey and Mozambique
User Info
(06-19-2012, 08:02 AM)celestino Wrote: Beautiful story, Emanuel.
Ahh, to be back in Portugal! i should move back and invite Johnny to stay for a few months. Biggrin

5 83
 06-20-2012, 06:27 PM
User Info
Emanuel, thank you for sharing a well written and thoughtful background on how you came into possession of such a great brush.

29 1,729
 06-27-2012, 03:12 PM
User Info
Hi, I'm blaireau, I just joined this forum at the suggestion of Andrew. I'm the other half of the partnership that produced the 2009 Limited Edition Semogue horn handled brush with Leon. I am selling one on eBay, So here's your chance to own one...

Sorry, no personal eBay auctions are allowed on The Nook. After 25 post you can list your brush/brushes in the B/S/T section.

0 1
 06-27-2012, 03:47 PM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info

5 270