06-16-2015, 11:41 AM
User Info
Hello all,

Currently I'm using a Merkur 34c and a Jagger DE89L with Feather blades. They both do their job well, although the 34c is a bit more aggressive I should think.

However I am getting a bit fed up with chrome plating. I have been using Merkur DE's for as long as I can remember and I do recall flaking issues from time to time.

Time seems ripe for something more solid. Stainless steel either polished or brushed. For some unclear reason the Feather razor holds no attractions for me.

The ATT M 1 on the other hand does. For one thing: it looks bloody good! So I think I will be ordering one directly from ATT next week.

Could someone who has experience with the ATT M 1 please reflect on it? I do prefer milder razor types but I don't mind if it does have an edge so to speak as long as it isn't overtly aggresive.

An open comb razor is a bit too much. I did have a Merkur with a comb but the shaves I had with it were too close. At the end of the week my skin felt sore and got irritated.

I also was thinking of buying a Weber Bulldog handle. Does it accept a DE89L or it's Mühle equivalent?

Thanks

Tilly

1 42
 06-16-2015, 11:46 AM
User Info
(06-16-2015, 11:41 AM)Tilly1648 Wrote: Hello all,

Currently I'm using a Merkur 34c and a Jagger DE89L with Feather blades. They both do their job well, although the 34c is a bit more aggressive I should think.

However I am getting a bit fed up with chrome plating. I have been using Merkur DE's for as long as I can remember and I do recall flaking issues from time to time.

Time seems ripe for something more solid. Stainless steel either polished or brushed. For some unclear reason the Feather razor holds no attractions for me.

The ATT M 1 on the other hand does. For one thing: it looks bloody good! So I think I will be ordering one directly from ATT next week.

Could someone who has experience with the ATT M 1 please reflect on it? I do prefer milder razor types but I don't mind if it does have an edge so to speak as long as it isn't overtly aggresive.

An open comb razor is a bit too much. I did have a Merkur with a comb and the shaves I had were too close. At the end of the week my skin felt sore and got irritated.

I also was thinking of buying a Weber Bulldog handle. Does it accept a DE89L or it's Mühle equivalent?

Thanks

Tilly
As far as handles go yes the bulldog will accept an r89 de89 head, IMHO a more solid handle creates a whole different razor in a good way.

3 1,356
 06-16-2015, 12:58 PM
User Info
I'd agree that a heavier handle will make the DE89 a more effective razor. About any of the aftermarket handles should fit.

I don't find a great deal of difference between the DE89 and the M1 plate although I do think the M1 is a smoother razor. The M2  open comb is quite a bit more aggressive. If you like the DE 89, the M1 should be a good fit for you.

44 486
 06-16-2015, 01:20 PM
User Info
DE89 is a whole different razor with a heavier handle.  I find I rather like both my Ikon Bamboo and the similar Maggard's handle on mine.  

Cant' speak to the ATT head.  You could get on the list for a beautiful Wolfman.  I can't speak to the shave on that either but they're gorgeous and I've seen only glowing reviews of the shave.

Of course you could get a coated Tech -- and get rid of any chrome concerns and get a great shave without spending a fortune.

But then again I have a clear bias toward coated vintage razors.

20 108
 06-16-2015, 01:26 PM
User Info
If your wanting a little more aggressive I would get an aftermarket handle. If you decide to sell a stainless steel handle you won't have any problems flipping it.

If it were me (I did this myself) get yourself an aftermarket handle ,stainless if you prefer but chrome/brass can be had for cheaper and are great.

If you still want a little more aggressive shim the de89. I've had comfortable shaves with a de89 loaded with 3 shims. I also have a heavy growth though. YMMV

3 1,356
 06-16-2015, 01:32 PM
User Info
(06-16-2015, 01:20 PM)DeltaEcho Wrote: DE89 is a whole different razor with a heavier handle. 

Exactly. Same on the R41!
Interesting post about using shims in a DE89 btw

Philipp

21 1,175
 06-17-2015, 12:02 AM
User Info
Thanks to all of you for your advice. Much appreciated.

Otis375: can you please elaborate on using shims?
Maybe it's because English is not my native language, but I have really no idea what shims are let alone how to shim the DE89 to make it a bit more aggressive Huh .

What other aftermarket handles could be use with a DE89 or say a Merkur 34c head?

Regards,

Tilly

1 42
 06-17-2015, 06:11 PM
User Info
I started like yourself, and looking back I wish I began with some old school adjustable's and classics. They are not only great shavers, but the adjustable's can be set to your liking and are beautiful razors to look at! 

Check out some fat boys, slims, aristocrats, black beauty's, red tips, etc... 

But if you're set on an M1, you should give it a try. I owned one a while back and it was a very nice razor. But when I finally got my hands on some classics, I never looked back.

46 1,102
 06-17-2015, 06:29 PM
User Info
(06-17-2015, 12:15 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I received a shipment of Shavecraft razors and this one just does not pass muster. It will deliver a fine shave but, there is a blotch/discoloration on the top cap and a small scratch on the underside of the head.

The razor is brand new/never used. They list for $70 plus shipping. I would like $45 shipped CONUS.

[Image: Wx8JvHc.jpg][Image: 3Jw8yXs.jpg]
I thought you may want to consider this. It's got a minor blemish or two, but you might be able to fix it with the correct metal polish.

1 142
 06-17-2015, 06:32 PM
User Info
(06-17-2015, 06:29 PM)gordon55 Wrote:
(06-17-2015, 12:15 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I received a shipment of Shavecraft razors and this one just does not pass muster. It will deliver a fine shave but, there is a blotch/discoloration on the top cap and a small scratch on the underside of the head.

The razor is brand new/never used. They list for $70 plus shipping. I would like $45 shipped CONUS.

[Image: Wx8JvHc.jpg][Image: 3Jw8yXs.jpg]
I thought you may want to consider this. It's got a minor blemish or two, but you might be able to fix it with the correct metal polish.

Best of both worlds IMO.

61 3,796
 06-17-2015, 08:16 PM
User Info
(06-17-2015, 12:02 AM)Tilly1648 Wrote: Thanks to all of you for your advice. Much appreciated.
Otis375: can you please elaborate on using shims?Maybe it's because English is not my native language, but I have really no idea what shims are let alone how to shim theDE89tomake it a bit more aggressive Huh .
What other aftermarket handles could be use with a DE89 or say a Merkur 34c head?
Regards,

Tilly

Tilly, 
Here is some information on 'shimming':  http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...im+a+razor

Regarding the aggressiveness of razors, the ATT M1 might be a tad more effective than your EJ89 for a stainless steel version while being much better made. 
Another DE razor would be the Pils which is a mild razor, but with a hefty price tag. Also, there are the Wolfman razors which provide the option to modify the aggressiveness to your liking. 
Ikon also offers some good options, but you'll have to experiment to see which suit your needs. 

Just to note, you can't use any other handle with the Merkur 34C as it is a 'two-piece' razor and won't accept any other handles except for the stock one. 
Good luck.

82 21,056
 06-18-2015, 04:15 AM
User Info
(06-17-2015, 08:16 PM)celestino Wrote:
(06-17-2015, 12:02 AM)Tilly1648 Wrote: Thanks to all of you for your advice. Much appreciated.
Otis375: can you please elaborate on using shims?Maybe it's because English is not my native language, but I have really no idea what shims are let alone how to shim theDE89tomake it a bit more aggressive Huh .
Regards,

Tilly

Tilly, 
Here is some information on 'shimming':  http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...im+a+razor

Regarding the aggressiveness of razors, the ATT M1 might be a tad more effective than your EJ89 for a stainless steel version while being much better made. 
Another DE razor would be the Pils which is a mild razor, but with a hefty price tag. Also, there are the Wolfman razors which provide the option to modify the aggressiveness to your liking. 
Ikon also offers some good options, but you'll have to experiment to see which suit your needs. 

Just to note, you can't use any other handle with the Merkur 34C as it is a 'two-piece' razor and won't accept any other handles except for the stock one. 
Good luck.

Thanks Celestino.

You are quite right about the 34c being a two piece razor. I actually had a 47 in mind that I have lying around. That one could do with a heavier handle. 

I've put myself on a waiting list for a Wolfman WR1-SB yesterday.  Going to order the ATT M1 next week.

How can I get myself on the list for a Mongoose SE (looks fantastic)?

Tilly

1 42
 06-18-2015, 11:41 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I think you'll like the ATT M1. I just got a M2 last week and I really like it. I was using too shallow of an angle for the first couple of shaves and it was a little aggressive. It's mild and efficient once you get the right angle so don't give up on it too early if you get a couple of bad shaves.

3 535
 06-18-2015, 05:18 PM
User Info
I have a Shavecraft "dual personality" as Phil spoke of and I think it an excellent choice at a good price.

I also us an EJ, Merkur HD38 barberpoll and many vintage Gillettes. I find the Shavecraft just a tad more aggressive than the afore mentioned but not by much (I like 'em all!).

2 205
 06-18-2015, 05:37 PM
User Info
I started with the Jagger DE89 as well. I thought that I didn't want anything more aggressive, but what I came to find was I could handle something more aggressive so long as it was a smooth shave. I started using a Weber polished head a couple of weeks ago and I've really enjoyed it. More aggressive than the DE89 but stainless and so smooth, the shaves are incredible.   If you can find one on the BST, give it a try.
I can't speak to the smoothness of the M1, but I hear it's quite smooth also.

1 69
 06-18-2015, 06:45 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(06-18-2015, 05:37 PM)michaelAD Wrote: I started with the Jagger DE89 as well. I thought that I didn't want anything more aggressive, but what I came to find was I could handle something more aggressive so long as it was a smooth shave. I started using a Weber polished head a couple of weeks ago and I've really enjoyed it. More aggressive than the DE89 but stainless and so smooth, the shaves are incredible.   If you can find one on the BST, give it a try.

I sold my Weber because it was too aggressive for me. To me, the ATT is just as efficient as the Weber, but it's a milder shave.

3 535
 06-18-2015, 06:57 PM
User Info
(06-18-2015, 06:45 PM)DayMan Wrote:
(06-18-2015, 05:37 PM)michaelAD Wrote: I started with the Jagger DE89 as well. I thought that I didn't want anything more aggressive, but what I came to find was I could handle something more aggressive so long as it was a smooth shave. I started using a Weber polished head a couple of weeks ago and I've really enjoyed it. More aggressive than the DE89 but stainless and so smooth, the shaves are incredible.   If you can find one on the BST, give it a try.

I sold my Weber because it was too aggressive for me. To me, the ATT is just as efficient as the Weber, but it's a milder shave.
So you went with the M1?  Have you tried any other ATT plates that you could compare to the Weber?  Sorry if this is hijacks the thread.

1 69
 06-18-2015, 07:30 PM
User Info
Shimming is when you have a 3 piece razor mainly but you can shim a 2 piece as well. Get an old blade and carefully cut the cutting edge off the old blade. Place the new blade in and then your old blade on the bottom(closest to the baseplate) increasing your blade gap. I have used 3 blades trimmed down as shims in a de89 and it shaved comfortably.

I just got a merkur progress and while its not r42 aggressive it can be efficient. Turned down low its Gillette tech mild. Turned up to a 5 IMO its more efficient than a slant. Love the balance on a long handled progress, out of the vintage Gillette's and the futur the progress is the best adjustable I've used not only the smoothest shaver,also it has the best range from mild to aggressive. I read that the futur on 1 is equal to the progress on 5 and I do not agree with that at all. IMO the progress on 5 is equal to the futur on about 4 which is what I used the futur on anyway...

3 1,356
 06-18-2015, 07:33 PM
User Info
Heb je mijn bericht te begrijpen

3 1,356
 06-19-2015, 01:11 AM
User Info
(06-18-2015, 07:33 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Heb je mijn bericht te begrijpen

Dank je wel Otis. Ik begrijp je volkomen (Thanks Otis. I fully understand). As a matter of fact I 'm going to give it a try this weekend.

1 42