• Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Cart, DE, SE, Straight?

62 3,005
 06-17-2015, 10:49 PM
User Info
DE and SE will be the most efficient and rewarding shaves. Straights take awhile to truly get use to and going ATG is difficult to master with them. I, personally, have been cut waaay too many times by carts to go back to them.

Just remember, whatever you chose, take your time, use no pressure, and practice technique and angle.

From my Tab through the Tap

1 1,975
 06-18-2015, 01:22 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
I use a DE to shave my head.

I've yet to try with a Straight.

0 403
 06-19-2015, 01:57 AM
User Info
I've been shaving my head since I was 14, so about 13 years now. 98% of the time carts have been my go to. I've used a Mach 3, Quattro 4, Fusion 5, Atra 2, Bic single, Heablade ATX, a Gillette Super Speed , a Gillette Milord, a Gillitte Slim, an Aristocrat, a 2013 R41, a couple different traditional straights, a Feather Kamisori style straight, a GEM SE, Mongoose SE and a King Cobra SE.

DE is too quick to shave off my scars and make me bleed. Takes a lot of time to get BBS. Of all of the DE razors, my R41 is my favorite if I must use it on my head because I'm the most comfortable with it overall.

SE - GEM I don't care for the feel. Mongoose I didn't like the razor. King Cobra was the best of all razors besides carts, but unfortunately, I was just part of a pass around, so I can't use that razor full time.

Traditional straights - Easy enough to do, but the amount of time needed to keep that razor sharp is not worth it. Strop at least twice per shave. Honing has to be done far too often and I pay someone else to do that for me, so no thanks.

Feather Kamisori - Fair. The blades are great. The razor is fair. ATG is tough on the back of my head though with a kamisori style razor.

Headblade - Some people swear by these things. I DESPISE them.

Carts - My nod goes to the Fusion. Nothing does a more efficient job for me with the most comfort. And using my razorpit to essentially strop it, I don't buy replacements very often at all. I will say, I intend to try the dollar shave club razors when I run out of fusion blades.

*IF* I'm ever able to procure a King Cobra, I may devote enough time and effort to making that my go to razor for my head and face. It was the most comfortable I've ever been with anything that wasn't a cart on my head.

4 63
 06-19-2015, 05:08 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I use DE's, SE's, straights and Feather Artist Club razors. All work but for me the Feathers are what I reach most for because one pass is all it takes.

28 1,448
 06-19-2015, 09:05 AM
User Info
DE is the best way to go. Cheaper blades being the best attribute.

The trick is to use a mild razor. In my case my go-to head razor is the Schick Krona. Very mild, and paired with a mild blade (read no feather blades!), it takes the apprehension out of the routine. While traveling I have used the Gillette travel razor, also known for its mild touch. (these Gillette travel razors are almost all the same head) It was an adjustment to use the short handle on my head, but I managed just fine. I havent tried any of my SS or SS flare tips, but as mild razors, they should do well.

For SE, I usually use a run of the mill g-type Schick, either the solid head or hydro-magic. The hydro being minutely more aggressive than the solid head g-type, but effective.

Also, ensure you use a quality over-slick soap. This would rule out Cella (brick type) and Proraso. My head soap (if you want to call it that) is made up of shredded leftover pucks plus of at least 50% Stirling. I make alot of lather for my head shave. Always made on top of the soap in the same bowl (no scuttle use here) with my biggest boar brush.  Plus I make it on the soupy/runny side too. I have a full head of hair, and if I use the same consistency on my head as I do my face, I get too muck clogging and buildup. The runnier soap rinses out the clippings from the razor so much easier.

My routine is 4 passes. 2 with the Krona, and 2 with the G-type. I shave the melon every second day, alternating with my face. So, I am shaving every night, either my face or my head.

Cartridges? Pfffttt

8 169
 06-19-2015, 07:26 PM
User Info
I shave my head and face daily. DE's for my face and Carts for my head.

1 108
 06-20-2015, 05:31 AM
User Info
I prefer de, the r41 and 37/39c models are my favorite models on particular.

63 1,596
 06-20-2015, 06:21 AM
User Info
I use an ATT R2 three times a week on the dome. As it has been said before, whatever you choose will take time to perfect and get that BBS.

6 52
 06-20-2015, 06:59 AM
User Info
I find carts reduce the stress of being sure I have correct angle, blade, etc to shave my head and get it smooth each shave. Our heads are all shaped different and the carts take the risk out of the picture. I am still sitting on the fence as to whether I will eventually try to use a DE, but a SR is eternally out of the question.

39 275
 06-20-2015, 08:02 AM
User Info
When I was shaving my head I liked it, but my glasses would react with my skin causing sores, so I had to stop the practice.

When I was head shaving I started with the SE Featherweight and it was OK. But one day I had a blade in the GEM OCMM after having just finishing shaving my face and said, "Ahh, what the heck!". From then on I used the OCMM. If I was to start again I'd use the GEM Clog Pruf, especially for that first shave that removes what's left from the buzz cut.

32 6,470
 06-21-2015, 09:32 AM
User Info
(06-20-2015, 06:59 AM)hillbillyreverend Wrote: I find carts reduce the stress of being sure I have correct angle, blade, etc to shave my head and get it smooth each shave. Our heads are all shaped different and the carts take the risk out of the picture. I am still sitting on the fence as to whether I will eventually try to use a DE, but a SR is eternally out of the question.
I thought like this at one point; until two carts took two nice size chunks out of my skin! Ain't going back!

1 1,975
 06-21-2015, 09:56 AM
User Info
DE or SE.
Use either or (DE=WR1-SB, SE: = Bullet Tip)

Really all about technique. Being intuitive and listening - since you can't see what you are doing most of the time. Light touch is the key to success - literally and figuratively (light razors worked better for me).

2 150
 06-21-2015, 10:47 AM
User Info
I have tried it with all my razors, with good results. I feel that both DE and SE take too much time, so I mostly use carts. I do it every two days or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 202
 06-21-2015, 11:35 AM
User Info
(06-21-2015, 09:32 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote:
(06-20-2015, 06:59 AM)hillbillyreverend Wrote: I find carts reduce the stress of being sure I have correct angle, blade, etc to shave my head and get it smooth each shave. Our heads are all shaped different and the carts take the risk out of the picture. I am still sitting on the fence as to whether I will eventually try to use a DE, but a SR is eternally out of the question.
I thought like this at one point; until two carts took two nice size chunks out of my skin! Ain't going back!

I went on vacation years ago and forgot my Mach 3. I ended up buying some Old Spice cart and that damn thing tore my head up. Took out a chunk with just about every swipe. It made me skeptical of any other razors for a long time.

1 108
 06-21-2015, 03:48 PM
  • e-dub
  • right brain: bna. left brain: dtw.
User Info
i use any de i'd use on my face and do one pass: against the grain straight away on tuesdays, thursdays and sundays.

41 666
 06-21-2015, 05:36 PM
User Info
Head Shave with Schick Super II Razor and Original SS II Carts, twice a week & ~5 weeks on a cart.   Two passes and I'm done, they're efficient & rinse easily in standing sink water.

1 181
 06-21-2015, 05:40 PM
User Info
(06-21-2015, 11:35 AM)jagardn Wrote:
(06-21-2015, 09:32 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote:

I went on vacation years ago and forgot my Mach 3. I ended up buying some Old Spice cart and that damn thing tore my head up. Took out a chunk with just about every swipe. It made me skeptical of any other razors for a long time.

Man, I'm telling you, it's hard for me to ever go back to any kind of cart, no matter how much more quick the shave might be. I'll take quality and efficiency over speed any day of the week.

(06-21-2015, 03:48 PM)e-dub Wrote: i use any de i'd use on my face and do one pass: against the grain straight away on tuesdays, thursdays and sundays.

This is good stuff! I do this on my short weeks from work!

From my Tab through the Tap

1 1,975
 06-22-2015, 03:31 PM
  • Brad58
  • Go Penn State!
  • Berwick, PA
User Info
DE's, SE's, and straights on the face.  I use both DE's and my Mongoose on the head (Mongoose works really well).  Since I shave my head every day, I also
use Harry's carts and get a month of shaves from each cart (yes, I rotate and keep track of the shaves).  

15 250
 06-24-2015, 07:53 PM
User Info
Have shaved my head trice a week since summer of 2006 with a cart.

Only cut myself pretty badly 3 times (where I have I have to use bandaid), but that was because I was stressful and in a hurry  Blush

Other than that have had nothing but fine head shaves.

Have used my Feather Artist Club, DE's and my Mongoose SE too, but with less stellar results.
I head shave most times in the shower, mirror less.

24 6,018