06-18-2015, 09:52 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Anyone else notice these irritating online ads? Another glorified cartridge system that will revolutionize shaving and has the multi billion dollar industry shaking in it's boots. The co owners are two tech savvy types who have one photo of a serious looking german with a serious looking
factory tool making blades worthy of the Niebelung. The razors look like something made of recycled plastic waterbottles in colours inspired by NIKE sneakers. they're young, they're brash and they want the Ferraris and trophy wives NOW.
grumble
Before I threw my old tube TV at the TIME-WARNER cable guy's van it was some middleaged bald guy. He came on like an old friend who supposedly owned a pawn shop and was inspired by 'the razor your dad used'. He flashed a rough copy of an old Superspeed at very new, 2015
inflation prices. I've seen the same razors, with some generic blades, a brush and the ubiquitous brush stand in various catalogss promising
warm fuzzy mornings with the smell of their maple syrup and traditional smoked sausage wafting from my kitchen as I shave. Again, I am saving money and bonding with my long past male family members I am more or less glad have passed.
grumble again
I realize every new, or revived product generates a flurry of copycats hoping to make a few bucks off the unwary. But somehow, this is personal.
It's like talking to a custom stain glass artisan about a Tiffany replica dragonfly lamp and some hustler shows up with a chicom monstrosity
also made of recycled plastic water bottles in NIKE colours trashing the glassmaker. My intelligence is weary of such insult, latecomers educating the community they should learn from.
This may be more rant than shaving, but maybe another shaving revolution wannabee will see this and take heed of my wrath.
grumble turned to growl.

2 3,171
 06-18-2015, 10:12 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I thought Harry's was overpriced, so I bought a handle and some cartridges from Shavemob.com instead. 
There are five or six companies with a similar business model--it's simply a commodity. And they are siphoning off business from P&G (Mach 3, Fusion, etc.) so we should give some points there, no?

60 849
 06-19-2015, 01:13 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Agreed, kav.  I presume the margins are generous with these newer cartridge razors, regardless of brand.  Where there's money ...

102 18,669
 06-19-2015, 01:23 AM
User Info
(06-18-2015, 09:52 PM)kav Wrote: Anyone else notice these irritating online ads? Another glorified cartridge system that will revolutionize shaving and has the multi billion dollar industry shaking in it's boots. The co owners are two tech savvy types who have one photo of a serious looking german with a serious looking
factory tool making blades worthy of the Niebelung. The razors look like something made of recycled plastic waterbottles in colours inspired by NIKE sneakers. they're young, they're brash and they want the Ferraris and trophy wives NOW.
grumble
Before I threw my old tube TV at the TIME-WARNER cable guy's van it was some middleaged bald guy. He came on like an old friend who supposedly owned a pawn shop and was inspired by 'the razor your dad used'. He flashed a rough copy of an old Superspeed at very new, 2015
inflation prices. I've seen the same razors, with some generic blades, a brush and the ubiquitous brush stand in various catalogss promising
warm fuzzy mornings with the smell of their maple syrup and traditional smoked sausage wafting from my kitchen as I shave. Again, I am saving money and bonding with my long past male family members I am more or less glad have passed.
grumble again
I realize every new, or revived product generates a flurry of copycats hoping to make a few bucks off the unwary. But somehow, this is personal.
It's like talking to a custom stain glass artisan about a Tiffany replica dragonfly lamp and some hustler shows up with a chicom monstrosity
also made of recycled plastic water bottles in NIKE colours trashing the glassmaker. My intelligence is weary of such insult, latecomers educating the community they should learn from.
This may be more rant than shaving, but maybe another shaving revolution wannabee will see this and take heed of my wrath.
grumble turned to growl.
I agree with you Kav, and thought the same.

1 1,975
 06-19-2015, 02:06 AM
User Info
Harry's still has a place in my den.

8 951
 06-19-2015, 07:27 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I hear ads occasionally on ESPN radio for Dollar Shave Club, or something like that. Every time, i say to myself, "Suckers!!"

7 2,378
 06-19-2015, 01:49 PM
User Info
Harry's is clearly capitalizing on the wet-shaving renaissance. While I can't blame them for that, I don't think what they are offering is in any way on par with our Nook culture.  

39 3,955
 06-21-2015, 05:50 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I have to credit Dollar Shave Club and Harry's as significant factors in getting me and many others started in proper, traditional shaving. I was "happily" paying $4 per cartridge and using them way, way too long, like most people do. I hated shaving, and just assumed that you were supposed to hate shaving.
I saw the hilarious DSC ad when it first came out, and it got me thinking that there must be a more affordable way. My research led me directly to my first Parker 92R, and I never looked back.
I hope that Harry's and DSC do well. While neither are for me, they have successfully shaken up a stagnant, overpriced market, and we have all benefitted.

22 835
 06-22-2015, 04:53 AM
User Info
(06-18-2015, 09:52 PM)kav Wrote: Anyone else notice these irritating online ads? Another glorified cartridge system that will revolutionize shaving and has the multi billion dollar industry shaking in it's boots. The co owners are two tech savvy types who have one photo of a serious looking german with a serious looking
grumble
grumble again
grumble turned to growl.
Tried them and thought the handle was to slick and the cartridges don't pivot like the Fusion.  Overall I thought it was crap and threw it out.  I much prefer my Merkur Futur with a $.07 crystal blade.  Give me a DE any day over the expensive cartridge razors.  I also prefer the Mongoose.  Pricey razor but you get a really close shave and the blades are good for 8-10 shaves with a Feather Pro.  I'd say the Mongoose is pretty close in smoothness and closeness to my straights.

6 166
 06-22-2015, 09:37 PM
User Info
You'll be happy to know that you can now pick up a Harry's kit at your local J-Crew.

What bugs me is that people who know I am a wet shaving hobbiest conflate Harry's or DSC with traditional shaving. Not sure how that happened. My wife tells her client about my hobby and she says Oh! I am obsessed with DSC! I guess it does make sense in that we are both revolting against the off the shelf cartridge razor. But she is just getting a similar product at I assume a better price.

42 1,197
 06-23-2015, 02:07 AM
User Info
(06-21-2015, 05:50 AM)chamm Wrote: I have to credit Dollar Shave Club and Harry's as significant factors in getting me and many others started in proper, traditional shaving. . .I hope that Harry's and DSC do well. While neither are for me, they have successfully shaken up a stagnant, overpriced market, and we have all benefitted.

Same here -- Harry's was the gateway to traditional methods.
I don't see the need for the qualifier, though -- there's nothing improper about carts overall or Harry's/DSC in particular, or proper about traditional methods.

8 951
 06-23-2015, 02:17 AM
User Info
(06-19-2015, 01:49 PM)primotenore Wrote: ....I don't think what they are offering is in any way on par with our Nook culture.  

Curious what I´d find I had to look to the website, and "low and behold" there is nothing of remarkable quality there.  Nothing  what the Nook is about Thumbsup

21 1,175
 06-23-2015, 09:45 AM
User Info
To be sure, The Shave Nook engenders an appreciation of the broad range of fine products that we enjoy in our hobby.

But I've never gotten the impression that this is to the exclusion of any purveyor or product range.
In fact, often we'll talk about the humble or mass-market items that perform well and suit many of us.

Products in a particular niche may not suit individual needs or provide the best value proposition. I think some of the new offerings from The Art of Shaving are good examples of how "masstige" isn't the best value. But I wouldn't say that such things "aren't what the Nook is about" -- after all, there is a Cartridge Razor section.

8 951
 06-23-2015, 05:38 PM
  • Journeyman
  • The Present (when I'm lucky)
User Info
My dad asked me about Harry's. Instead I got him interested in my Wolfman razor, and now he has one on order.

18 279
 06-23-2015, 07:12 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Somehow Harry's is now standing on the barricades with Jean Valjean  selling to the common man VS luxury offerings. HUH? What we use is what
millions of men used until some corporate greedhead figured out how  to reset the technology; not to improve shaving but sales. They did it with 
LPs vs CDs and a host of other items. Now, as I said two young hustlers would have us believe they too, have built a better mousetrap and know nothing of the cat.

2 3,171
 06-24-2015, 12:09 PM
User Info
I think that these "new" ideas and the ever increasing prices of cartridges has been what has led us old timers back to real shaving.  So I guess they do serve a purpose.

8 54
 06-24-2015, 12:18 PM
User Info
i received a harry's kit as a gift....needless to say it still remains in the box untouched.  Maybe a possible re gift, to someone I don't care too much about, or  don't know that well.....Only time will tell.

79 824