06-19-2015, 11:14 AM
User Info
[Image: P6TKoH2.jpg]
mod edit: text removed from attached pic

Just saw this online, looks like Razorock has a new stainless steel prototype in the works with a razor head that looks like it uses the Above the Tie style pins (on the base plate rather than top cap) to secure the blade. Joe is talking it up as a game changer because of a new indestructable finish and the "hightest tolerances" he's ever seen on a razor. Curious to see pricing and finish if it ever comes to market.

80 947
 06-19-2015, 11:16 AM
User Info
 06-19-2015, 11:19 AM
User Info
(06-19-2015, 11:16 AM)Bruce Wrote: Icon_popcorn

LOL, let the fun begin. Seriously though, not trying to start another RR love/hate thread, just wanted to share.

80 947
 06-19-2015, 11:25 AM
User Info
LOL.  Wish there were more pictures and maybe I can get my hands on this as I wanted to try the baby smooth.

One thing though "indestructible coating", yeah right and I'm not a razorock hater by any means but come on. I've had several" indestructible" coatings on things that while they were slower than other things they are by no means indestructible. I guess for the amount of abuse a razor could receive this may be a somewhat true statement though. I did not mean my statement on coating to start a hate thread, just my opinions.

3 1,356
 06-19-2015, 11:30 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
My past personal experience with pins on the baseplate has not been favorable. As much as I like the PILS, it is definitely more difficult to load than other razors. I'm not suggesting the the design needs to be changed, but I hope that it is easier to load than PILS.

22 835
 06-19-2015, 11:33 AM
User Info

make that ...
Icon_popcorn Icon_popcorn

21 1,175
 06-19-2015, 11:45 AM
User Info
(06-19-2015, 11:33 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote:

make that ...
Icon_popcorn Icon_popcorn

Yep...

3 1,356
 06-19-2015, 12:01 PM
User Info
Haters of haters gonna keep on hating the hating haters. It's like the energizer bunny which just keeps going, & going, & going...

31 8,058
 06-19-2015, 12:04 PM
  • RobinK
  • I like things that work.
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
I tried a highly praised RazoRock shaving cream once. It was a revelation. This razor looks as professionally made as that cream. Mentioning a Pils (a pinnacle of German engineering) in the same thread seems like a sacrilege.

0 197
 06-19-2015, 01:15 PM
User Info
(06-19-2015, 12:04 PM)RobinK Wrote: I tried a highly praised RazoRock shaving cream once. It was a revelation. This razor looks as professionally made as that cream. Mentioning a Pils (a pinnacle of German engineering) in the same thread seems like a sacrilege.

Biggrin

61 3,796
 06-19-2015, 01:29 PM
User Info
(06-19-2015, 11:30 AM)chamm Wrote: My past personal experience with pins on the baseplate has not been favorable. As much as I like the PILS, it is definitely more difficult to load than other razors. I'm not suggesting the the design needs to be changed, but I hope that it is easier to load than PILS.

That is interesting, as I thought loading from the baseplate would be easier. Come to think of it, I have not seen any razors that have the pins on the baseplate, and maybe there is a reason why this is the case.

80 947
 06-19-2015, 01:29 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
(06-19-2015, 12:04 PM)RobinK Wrote: I tried a highly praised RazoRock shaving cream once. It was a revelation. This razor looks as professionally made as that cream. Mentioning a Pils (a pinnacle of German engineering) in the same thread seems like a sacrilege.

I can understand your point of view, but I would point out that the RR Stealth Slant is one of the most finely engineered razors I own. I find myself using it only occasionally, because my ancestors left me with a thick German beard. Wink I think that razor is fantastically suited to someone with slightly lighter, finer hair. However, the design specs and quality of workmanship on that razor is phenomenal. The fit and finish are every bit as good as my PILS razor, and I don't believe that anyone could truly look at both and object to that statement. What's more, as much as I would agree that the PILS is a very finely engineered razor, I own others that are better.

I guess it's prudent to point out that RazoRock is a brand, not a manufacturer. The soaps they sell come from several different soap makers, and the razors are contracted out to machine shops. The quality of one doesn't have a lot to do with the quality of another. Joe is a dedicated retailer, and he genuinely cares about his products and customers. I understand that you might not care for the soap you tried. To be honest, there are RazoRock soaps that I don't care for, either.

22 835
 06-19-2015, 01:34 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
(06-19-2015, 01:29 PM)lestorfreemon Wrote:
(06-19-2015, 11:30 AM)chamm Wrote: My past personal experience with pins on the baseplate has not been favorable. As much as I like the PILS, it is definitely more difficult to load than other razors. I'm not suggesting the the design needs to be changed, but I hope that it is easier to load than PILS.

That is interesting, as I thought loading from the baseplate would be easier. Come to think of it, I have not seen any razors that have the pins on the baseplate, and maybe there is a reason why this is the case.

I don't want to make it sound like it's hard to load a razor into the baseplate. It's just a little easier to load the top cap, because that's where the long post is, which helps to hold the razor. If you're loading it onto two posts on the baseplate, you still need to thread the top cap into the razor hole, and it's easy to knock it off the posts while doing so. You could also (as I do with the PILS) load the blade into the top cap despite not having posts, line it up, then try to hit the slots with the posts on the baseplate. I get it right most of the time, but the morning tends to be the time of day when I'm least coordinated. Wink

22 835
 06-19-2015, 01:38 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing.

122 13,219
 06-19-2015, 01:39 PM
User Info
I guess we will have to wait and see.  I own a couple of RR slants and they are fantastic. One thing they have to be careful is to avoid been gimmicky.

61 3,796
 06-19-2015, 01:57 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I am always down to try something new. Everybody has different tastes in razors and whenever somebody mentions one razor being better than another they need to include "for me".

149 2,823
 06-19-2015, 02:03 PM
User Info
Well said Dave!

61 3,796
 06-19-2015, 02:09 PM
User Info
Looks interesting. Thanks for share!

2 64
 06-19-2015, 03:34 PM
User Info
(06-19-2015, 01:34 PM)chamm Wrote:
(06-19-2015, 01:29 PM)lestorfreemon Wrote:

I don't want to make it sound like it's hard to load a razor into the baseplate. It's just a little easier to load the top cap, because that's where the long post is, which helps to hold the razor. If you're loading it onto two posts on the baseplate, you still need to thread the top cap into the razor hole, and it's easy to knock it off the posts while doing so. You could also (as I do with the PILS) load the blade into the top cap despite not having posts, line it up, then try to hit the slots with the posts on the baseplate. I get it right most of the time, but the morning tends to be the time of day when I'm least coordinated. Wink
Here you go, one handed...

The key is machining tolerances.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

3 315
 06-19-2015, 03:51 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
(06-19-2015, 03:34 PM)RazoRock_Joe Wrote:
(06-19-2015, 01:34 PM)chamm Wrote:
(06-19-2015, 01:29 PM)lestorfreemon Wrote: That is interesting, as I thought loading from the baseplate would be easier. Come to think of it, I have not seen any razors that have the pins on the baseplate, and maybe there is a reason why this is the case.

Here you go, one handed...

https://youtu.be/yxwh4m-LzAY

The key is machining tolerances.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Nice! It looks like the key to yours is the post's ability to hold the blade. (Because of high machine tolerances.) I can tell you that the blade does NOT fit so tightly on the post of my PILS. What's more, the handle of the PILS is attached to the baseplate, so you can't lay it down flat. You need one hand to hold the razor, the other hand to load the blade, then you need to make sure the blade stays where you put it while you attach the top cap. Like I said, not difficult, just not as easy as many non-German engineered razors. Wink

22 835