06-20-2015, 09:58 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
First, a disclaimer: I long ago left any delusions of saving money wetshaving. I buy what I can afford and WHAT I LIKE. I would enjoy feedback on
soap life to help my buying WITHOUT any "penny wise and pound foolish" spreadsheets on ultimate shaves per puck. I 'need' to increase my meager
cache of soaps in case the magnetic poles shift or any other reasonable justification.
So, I am a hard soap man and am enticed with 'triple milled by new machinery that exerts 3x PSI pressure on our pucks than the old machinery'
sales points. Pucks range from @ 100g to 120g and I seem to average @ 6 months a puck or better.
I am attracted to some of the softer soaps, not quite creams. I am lusting for LPL in those big 200g tins and logos out of a Saint-Exupery story. How
long do users project, or get from the softer soaps?

2 3,171
 06-20-2015, 10:37 AM
User Info
About half of the longevity of a hard soap per oz, or even less. My experiment (not completed) here: http://theoriginalsafetytoo.com/thread/1...red-tested

18 713
 06-20-2015, 11:05 AM
User Info
There are many variables to factor into this such as size of brush, how many passes you do and how you prefer your lather. Nonetheless, I usually get 1.5 - 2 months from the softer soaps, but I use large brushes, do 3 passes with touch-ups and I prefer a very dense and creamy lather. 
Good luck.

82 21,056
 06-20-2015, 11:44 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(06-20-2015, 09:58 AM)kav Wrote: First, a disclaimer: I long ago left any delusions of saving money wetshaving. I buy what I can afford and WHAT I LIKE. I would enjoy feedback on
soap life to help my buying WITHOUT any "penny wise and pound foolish" spreadsheets on ultimate shaves per puck. I 'need' to increase my meager
cache of soaps in case the magnetic poles shift or any other reasonable justification.
So, I am a hard soap man and am enticed with 'triple milled by new machinery that exerts 3x PSI pressure on our pucks than the old machinery'
sales points. Pucks range from @ 100g to 120g and I seem to average @ 6 months a puck or better.
I am attracted to some of the softer soaps, not quite creams. I am lusting for LPL in those big 200g tins and logos out of a Saint-Exupery story. How

I would like to suggest to try Martin de Candre - it comes in a classy heavy 200 gr. glass jar and seems to last forever!

111 1,400
 06-20-2015, 11:54 AM
User Info
I use 3g per shave with soft Italian soaps and 2g with hard soaps.

To the above claim of MdC lasts forever....no it does not. People think that as they only use it on weekends or special occasions because of the cost. A group of members on B&B all uses full jars daily and they ranged from 90 shaves to 200 or there abouts.

8 2,718
 06-20-2015, 12:59 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(06-20-2015, 11:54 AM)Bruce Wrote: I use 3g per shave with soft Italian soaps and 2g with hard soaps.

To the above claim of MdC lasts forever....no it does not.  People think that as they only use it on weekends or special occasions because of the cost.  A group of members on B&B all uses full jars daily and they ranged from 90 shaves to 200 or there abouts.

Assuming what people think might prove to be inaccurate.

My jar of MDC Fougere gave me around 230 2-3pass shaves. Given that I shave 5-6 times a week (not only on weekends) it is very close to a calendar year, which  is pretty long in my books.

111 1,400
 06-20-2015, 01:00 PM
User Info
(06-20-2015, 12:59 PM)ARGH Wrote: Assuming what people think might prove to be inaccurate.

My jar of MDC Fougere gave me around 230 2-3pass shaves. Given that I shave 5-6 times a week (not only on weekends) it is very close to a calendar year, which  is pretty long in my books.
Not bad at all.  I just get tired of the claims "it lasts years or forever" or it costs pennies per shave.

8 2,718
 06-20-2015, 01:20 PM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
It always amazes me seeing how Haslinger performs considering the 3eur price tag. It is one of the top performers for me, and I consider myself very picky about performance.

0 1,053
 06-22-2015, 06:49 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
A good rule of thumb is that hard soaps use 1/2 to 1/3 the amount per shave according to my own data. The more water, the more product you have to use to load the same amount of actual soap. Shave sticks also seem to be more efficient, probably because the brush is loaded differently.

Cheers, Steve

7 466
 07-08-2015, 12:28 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
(06-20-2015, 09:58 AM)kav Wrote: First, a disclaimer: I long ago left any delusions of saving money wetshaving. I buy what I can afford and WHAT I LIKE. I would enjoy feedback on

Hello. I have a similar taste for soaps as yourself and I'm placed in the same situation.  I also learned (the hard expensive way) that quality doesn't equal price.  However, I found that DR Harris soaps are great.  Don't fall for Trumper's or Trufitt and Hill soaps.  Those are not worth the effort.

17 400