06-20-2015, 01:25 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

Hoppe was a prominent Solingen name in razor making. As I understand, Hoppe was also a distributor for Henckels. The Hoppe razors were distributed under several first names, including Guillermo.

This razor was expensive, bought NOS, but I am selling it for a low price, because of my inability to put good edge on it after several hours of work. That is the reason for the extreme low price. I am not sure what's wrong with the razor and why it is not taking a good edge. This is German steel. Perhaps something is ineffective in my honing method for this particular razor, since I have done well with my other razors.

The razor shaves, but the edge is bellow my standard. Since I don't have that much spare time to further work on this razor, I am offering it for sale as is. Perhaps you can take the time and put a good edge on it.

The razor is non-returnable, please remember.

I do not recommend this for a newbie; rather, the pro might be able to put a good edge on it. Either way, again, the razor is offered as is and it is non-returnable. Please consider this before sending me a PM.

U.S. shipping is my compliment. No trades, please. The price is $55.

[Image: JqaxoUP.jpg][Image: c6P9zZy.jpg][Image: MxZ3fmQ.jpg][Image: dn6EgpA.jpg]

150 3,036
 06-20-2015, 05:02 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
A tip of the hat to you Obie. I would wager not many would provide such a full disclosure. A true gentleman you are sir!

A very nice looking razor for a beyond excellent price! A real bargain for an experienced honer looking for a challenge. This shouldn't last long!

Sent from my mobile phone. Please excuse any typos.

14 871
 06-20-2015, 05:13 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(06-20-2015, 05:02 PM)Attila Wrote: A tip of the hat to you Obie.  I would wager not many would provide such a full disclosure.  A true gentleman you are sir!

A very nice looking razor for a beyond excellent price!  A real bargain for an experienced honer looking for a challenge.  This shouldn't last long!

Sent from my mobile phone.  Please excuse any typos.

Attila, my dear friend, thank you for the kind words. Yes, I guess I am from the old school where honor and truth are a fine dictum by which to live.

I have honed everything from great Sheffield cleavers to delicate Solingen blades. This one has fought me. The razor cost me, if I recall, more than $250. It's a good looking razor. I suppose if I spend enough time on it, I'll get it to sing, but the new novel takes up most of my time and concentration. So I might as well take my big loss and let someone else tackle it.

Stay well,
Obie

150 3,036