03-05-2012, 11:36 AM
User Info
I was hoping you guys could tell me what you think of the Feather Popular TTO razor?

I have a friend who has expressed an interest in DE shaving and I was thinking of sending him one to start out with.

He's not the kind of guy who would use an old Gillette unless is was absolutely pristine, and looking around ebay, most of the excellent + condition SS are like 25 bucks or more.

Any thoughts?

1 77
 03-05-2012, 11:42 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
This is probably one of the best all around razors in existence..probably a low priced but excellent shaver ..not costly enough to be collectible but really a very good somewhat mild nice razor...being a collector I know it shaves as well as a $250.00 PILS but it looks cheap so we naturally assume it is no good...but it is !!!!!

6 1,913
 03-05-2012, 01:54 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
This is a very nice razor especially for a starter. Its a fairly mild razor but well built and hard to beat for the price.

100 12,436
 03-06-2012, 12:46 PM
User Info
(03-05-2012, 11:36 AM)40boy Wrote: I was hoping you guys could tell me what you think of the Feather Popular TTO razor?

I have a friend who has expressed an interest in DE shaving and I was thinking of sending him one to start out with.

He's not the kind of guy who would use an old Gillette unless is was absolutely pristine, and looking around ebay, most of the excellent + condition SS are like 25 bucks or more.

Any thoughts?

My first DE razor! (And my first shave was with one of the super-scary Feather blades it came with. Pah!) I love it, still use it, and it showed me how good a thing it is to get away from "disposables" that will be here when the Sun goes nova.

Mild enough, and I have found that with either a U.S. Personna or Israeli Blue I get a consistently great result that more expensive combos I might use just don't.

Highly recommend it!

0 554
 03-07-2012, 04:50 AM
User Info
I Guess I'll go against the consensus here.
I ordered a feather popular at the same time I ordered a Parker for my future son in law. I shaved with it once and found it to be so mild as to be useless. I gave it to Fusil. He prefered the Parker but uses the Popular when time is short. He was a newbie at the time.

I think a tech knockoff like the Lord may be a better choice. Still mild but you get good shaves.

Phil

7 363
 03-07-2012, 04:59 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
As stated by many, it is a mild razor, but I do like them. About two years ago I found a sale on them and bought two and have never been sorry. One of them has a home in my travel case. I would have absolutely no problem in recommending one.

173 23,486
 03-07-2012, 02:57 PM
  • England
User Info
I can only agree, it is a fine if somewhat mild razor but gets the job done with no fuss ....also has a handle somewhat longer than most .

0 110
 03-09-2012, 11:38 PM
User Info
looks like a DE razor that I might be inclined to try, seeing as how I prefer razors with longer handles and I still have a bunch of DE blades from when I was experimenting with DE razors.

40 5,830