06-21-2015, 08:15 PM
User Info
I gave my smallest badger brush in my collection, the Vie Long JL Petree 3-band 23 mm Silvertip a hard try as my travel brush.

I love the way it performs. It just will not dry completely in 24 hours and I saw a bit of mold yesterday when I took it out of its Mühle travel case. So have to do something else.......

I hate synthetics, still have yet to try a Chubby 2 Synth, but always sold out, everywhere but on the Simpson shop, and not paying £50+ overprice at that place.
They only get my money, when I can't buy it elsewhere, because they are overpriced as it is and on top of that they put a little nice 25% addition to their prices for us EU country-men, because they are situated on some tax free isle  Biggrin

I bought some other gear at the Plisson shop yesterday, and took the chance and REordered the pearl grey Plisson synthetic (owned it 1 year ago). It's my plan to contact Rudy Vey and have him put it in one his great handles, and set the loft 6-8 mm lower than in the standard Plisson knot.

Just a shame to ruin the great looking pearl grey Plisson resin handle, which is one of the better looking handles I have seen among the 500+ handles I have put my eyes on until now.

24 6,021
 06-21-2015, 09:29 PM
User Info
Claus, why don't you ask Rudy to set the knot lower in the Pearl Grey handle? I think he could do it. It couldn't hurt to ask. Also, if you are looking for more backbone with a synthetic brush, why not get one of the The Grooming Co. ones? 
Good luck.  Smile

83 21,115
 06-21-2015, 09:35 PM
User Info
Stay at home instead Cool

I feel the same way. I have one synthetic brush (Mühle) that I only use when I travel. It does the job, but has no "soul".

0 89
 06-21-2015, 09:55 PM
User Info
(06-21-2015, 09:29 PM)celestino Wrote: Claus, why don't you ask Rudy to set the knot lower in the Pearl Grey handle? I think he could do it. It couldn't hurt to ask. Also, if you are looking for more backbone with a synthetic brush, why not get one of the The Grooming Co. ones? 
Good luck.  Smile

Great suggestions my good friend.
The Grooming co handle is too small for me.

I will ask if Rudy can try to reuse the pearl grey Plisson handle while setting the knot lower.
Great idea.

24 6,021
 06-21-2015, 09:57 PM
User Info
(06-21-2015, 09:35 PM)The Gentleman Wrote: Stay at home instead Cool

I feel the same way. I have one synthetic brush (Mühle) that I only use when I travel. It does the job, but has no "soul".

LOL

Yeah travelling and staying at hotel after hotel is overhyped

I agree. Synthetics do not give me the same feel as badgers.

24 6,021
 06-21-2015, 09:59 PM
User Info
Not being someone who dislikes synthetics myself I can only marvel at something you probably read long ago. That is, that synthetics make ideal travel brushes.

The Simpsons Classic synthetic is certainly that. It has gel like tips and fantastic backbone. I use mine in my rotation, but of course it also fits in their travel tube.

I had a Muhle travel synthetic and while I got along with the fibers I disliked the handle very much. A slight rework of it would have made it work for face latherers. So much potential, but they just missed the mark with it. Maybe they can only conceive of bowl lathering? It was still a shame. I so wanted it to work for me as I liked the idea of the basic design. Omega makes a somewhat similar version and their travel brush (boar) is 1/3 the price and works for both face latherers and bowl latherers. Too bad they don't make it in a good synthetic. Maybe they do now. It could be something for you to check out.

32 6,472
 06-22-2015, 01:43 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yes, a Muhle travel brush turned me on to synthetic brushes in general. I now have a Simpsons Classic synthetic for travel also. The two work well but have a distinctly different feel on the face from each other when face lathering. Variety is good. Try as you might it is hard to beat a synthetic brush for travelling. Still use my boar and badger brushes in rotation with my synthetic brushes at home but not out on the road.

Bob

0 1,694
 06-22-2015, 01:50 AM
User Info
I let my six-year-old choose my brush yesterday. He chose a synth because he liked its soft feel the best. Smile

8 951
 06-22-2015, 04:05 AM
User Info
Personally, I take along one of my two smaller silvertip brushes when I travel and I dont bother with any tubes.  They go into my kit (this one) and when it is time to pack up and go, I blot it dry with a towel and then roll it up in a paper napkin/paper towel/toilet paper - then into the kit it goes.  

I have done this for trips up to three weeks on the road and have never had so much as a whiff of funk, plus the brush is in perfect shape when unrolled.  I do unpack it when I return home, but that is as much to let it fully air dry as to rotate and restock my kit

8 240
 06-22-2015, 04:04 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
This conversation reminds me to slip my Omega synth into the rotation a little more often. With summer trips around the bend I'll want to be prepared for its idiosyncracies.

7 2,379
 06-23-2015, 08:38 AM
User Info
(06-21-2015, 09:59 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I had a Muhle travel synthetic and while I got along with the fibers I disliked the handle very much. A slight rework of it would have made it work for face latherers. So much potential, but they just missed the mark with it.

I also thought the handle would benefit from a little redesign.
I asked politely, and Muhle delivered an upscaled handle with a flatter knot that is set a bit lower.

These things do make a big difference indeed.

[Image: ce59232340cb16d49a40e449cab22135.jpg]

For reference I included a CH2S in amber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 667
 06-24-2015, 07:03 AM
User Info
I too prefer the feel of a badger hair brush to a synthetic brush and generally use one of my two band badger brushes for travel. The two band hair has much better flow through and dries much faster than a thickly packed three band silvertip or best brush. Packed in a Mühle travel case, I have never experienced any problems with my two band brushes even when on extended trips.

0 3,340
 06-24-2015, 08:17 AM
User Info
The Vie-Long 75'th anniversary 2 band brush I picked up a few weeks ago dries virtually as fast as my synthetics. This might be a good travel option...

3 264
 06-24-2015, 10:10 AM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
I am no fan of Synthetics and have called them devoid of soul and personality. That being said, I picked up the Fine Angel Hair 20mm Synthetic and after 2 uses find it a very good brush in all aspects. The handle has a nice feel and is substantial. It makes lather with ease and dries in an instant. 
[Image: jINazUf.jpg]

48 684